• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My parrot molly

Terri1984

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Terri o reilly
Hi i have a red lord amazon parrot called molly iv had her abouy 15 years now wen i bought her she has been ill treat by hear last owneran was bold from her neck down....its took me years to get her to trust me a now shes a great girl but she refuse to wash herself an wont eat anything other that seeds no fruits r veg witch is taken it tole on my feather.... shes has now a full body of feather but shes still ripping them out an shredding them i bring to shower with me but she has a melt down wen shes in there with me she wont play with toys...can u help me in any way

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm really sorry. It seems as if your pretty girl has had enough trauma to effect her for an awfully long time.

Instead of taking her into the shower, get a spray bottle with a pretty fine mist and spray her gently from above. In other words let the misty water fall down on her. Bet she'll get better quick.

Have you tried sitting on the floor with her and playing with her toys yourself. My Jasper did not know how to play with toys and learned from my other bird Hank. If she has toys hanging in her cage, wiggle them and make funny noises when you walk by.

It is important for her health that she eat a diet with no seeds. A diet of 100% or lots of seed will cause a lot of health problems eventually.

Buy a good pellet for her and start trying to get her to eat those. It will take along time but if you are strong and don't give up it will happen.
Please read this; https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/Dietary_conversion.pdf

Ask questions and someone here on the forum will help you - we all seem to have eating problems with our stubborn parrots.