• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My mental conversations about Juno

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have constant conversations in my head about Juno, my foster Ekkie.

I need to decide if I want to adopt him. But here is my thoughts on that.

He is an easy bird. He doesn't ask for anything special (other than eclectus dietary needs). But, he is not bonded to us...maybe a little...this is where I get all torn up.

He trembles all over if I pick him up, but he almost always willingly steps up. He even comes tot he door of the cage to be picked up, or leans to get onto my arm if he is on a stand. But once he is on me he just shakes like crazy. Unless he climbs up to my shoulder, where he will sit for a few minutes then start "hissing" and striking at my face. So, I don't let him up there.

I don't think he is unhappy. I just don't know that he is happy.

So here is my dilemma...

I would happily adopt him, and he'd be fine in my house.

But there is this part of me that reallllllllyyyy wants a B&G and there are so many out there in need. Phoenix has a 22 yr old Catalina in need. So many less people can do macaws. But many people can't deal with the diet of the ekkie.

UGH I keep having these arguments in my head. :omg::omg::omg:

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I don't know what to say, I have them too.
:rolleyes:

Keep the ekkie and get a BG, problem solved
Should I dare mention that too? :lol:

Hmmm... I'm not exactly sure what to say either... :(

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Debbie,

I don't think you should decide yet. Can you give yourself a little more time? Are you sure you really want another macaw? If Juno is doing well and will step up I would imagine that he will improve with more time. It doesn't sound like he has had much reason to trust humans or have much faith in us, I'll bet in time it will come. I would keep him, but if a B&G is what you really want......then I don't know.:rolleyes:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: Debbie, I sympathize with your feelings. It must be hard...and I know that Cindy's death left a hole in your heart (and I think I know how big that hole would be, too, because of how I feel about Elvis--it's like she's part of my soul), but, maybe Juno could help fill it in time? Maybe one of the reasons he is holding back is because you are? I don't know...my philosophy has always been "once they come through the door, they will stay forever" so I'm careful who comes through the door, LOL, but you are Juno's foster home, so I know it is different.... I can't say one way or another because I have two conflicting thoughts 1) the commitment has to be total for the bird to settle in 2) a B&G is a bird that captures the soul like no other. Sorry :( I'm not much help...

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Juno has come a long way in the short time I have had him. He is very vocal, starting to talk a bit.

I came into the birdroom last night while he was on the Get a Grip. He climbed down so that he was eye level with me. But I don't see any real desire to BE with us.

I know that sounds weird, it's just this gut thing. He likes the grub, it's a good place to crash, but he'd be fine moving on. Honestly, I've never felt that vibe from any bird before. Some have outright been angry. Most are quite content. Juno is ambivalent.

So, in other words, he'd probably be OK elsewhere, but so many macaw wait so long and often cannot even come into foster because there are no homes for them.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
so many macaw wait so long and often cannot even come into foster because there are no homes for them.
That's true. A good macaw home is hard to find :( I certainly see your point.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

:omg: That is such a hard choice. I have no idea how you feel right now, as I have a sort of detachment to the rescue birds. I keep all of my boding to pets only.
I agree with the issue with macaws and homes. I really do not have any good advice to give you..But I am here for you in whatever decision you do make. Good Luck.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I think that Juno would have the same problems with anyone else, so it's not you. I'm sure you know that. I think he would just need a lot of time to bond and trust his future owners, may it be you or someone else. How many birds have you fostered? I know a lot of people fall for their first foster or two, adopt them, and then they don't have room to help any more. I'm sure the rescue is good at weeding out the potential adopters, so you would know he would go to a good home. Maybe they would even let you meet them and decide whether or not you think he would do well in their home. I don't really think you should adopt him unless you feel like he is really bonded with you or you with him. Maybe you and your hubby just aren't his type :)hehe:)? Maybe he'd prefer being with a female ekkie or another bird? Who knows. I think you should meet a potential adopter, or maybe a few and then decide where you think he'd be the most happy. You can always tell them that if it doesn't work out, you will gladly take him back.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Jorg S will respond in the AM. Just finished up school for the night.

Mr. Juno terrorizes my other birds. He is such a tough-guy survivor. Neither of my other ekkies will stay in the bird room if he is out.

Little booger.

He did something pretty cool tonight. I let the dogs into the room where he was and he did a dog whistle as soon as he saw them. Definitely had a dog in his past home. (of course the incessant whining he does is a good indicator) LOL

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
No idea how long have you had Juno? From my experience with my four extra birds, they are nothing like the birds that first arrived with us.
It took time, patience and lots of love to bring them out into their natural state. Then they just blossomed and you would not recognise them as the same birds.
have you given yourself and Juno enough time together?
Myself I would be worrying that he would not be looked after as well by anyone else, the mothering instinct would be taking over! Plus of course I would have fallen hook line and sinker in love with him as soon as he arrived, even if he had one leg and one eye missing!:rofl: That is just my way.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I sympathize totally...I havea friend in New Mexico who does rescue....if someone potential comes in who wants to adopt and the person just bonds with the bird...then they know..well, it is what is in your heart? maybe he will move on with just that special person or maybe you can give him more time..in his case, I think with a potential adoptee you would know immediately....by the way Juno reacts..otherwise, just keep the poor dear and give him time

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Oh I am not rushing Juno at all. I do have to make a decision in about 3 weeks though. They ask that foster parents decide by 2 months. Not that I can't stretch that out, it's just I think for Juno, it would be best not to let him settle in for a long period, then move him along. He is not a bird that needs rehabilitation.

I do love him. I think he is a funny little guy. I just have that lingering thought of the macaw that we could help, which usually need it so much more.

But I will admit, when I really sat down last night and thought about moving him on, my stomach got all queasy and upset. LOL

I am a mess. I am usually so good at keeping an emotional distance from my fosters. I have literally had hundreds of shelties through here. Easily 6 birds. (I failed at fostering Diego, he stayed.)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Each year we get a year older our skin is not as thick as it used to be and we feel a lot more!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.