• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Little Family

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
I used to keep over 40 snakes but a period of really dark mental health problems culminated in me being made homeless and losing everything but the clothes I was wearing. This time around I'm keeping what makes me happy rather than what I'm expected to keep. Life's too short :)

11-13-28-27c25c6a3a4b219ab9b6361da148099f.jpg
IMG_20200425_173527_482.jpg
IMG_20200501_155056_966.jpg IMG_20200425_172756_610.jpg

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
@Abyss I would love to get a snake. What would you recommend as a starter?

The obvious 2 that everyone will tell you are corn snakes and ball pythons. But corns come with a whole lot of stigma (unfairly) attached to them. People almost treat them as throwaway animals because they're so affordable. They're absolutely awesome snakes, but sadly they've been tarnished due to their popularity. It would be very easy to become disillusioned when keeping one and covet something more "advanced"... Such a shame as they're so so cool.

Ball pythons can be trouble feeders. If you've invested in a high end morph and it goes off its food for months at a time it will make the whole experience terrifying and miserable. I'd advise a little experience before putting yourself through that. On the flip side, if you get one that takes prey every time it's a great snake for handling.

The cutest wee snake on the planet is a western hognose. Very few snakes feel like these to touch. They're short and chunky. Never miss a feed. And that nose! :D They're rear fanged but their venom is very very very mild. The only beige thing on this earth you'll never get bored of.

I'd also recommend a grey banded kingsnake (the grey and orange one I have) as pretty as any king or milk but as gentle as a corn. They really are my favourite snakes.

Hopefully that wasn't total waffle :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You may be interested to watch Snake Discovery YouTube channel!
I love watching her! Did you see the clef-lip snake that she hatched about a year ago by now?

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
The obvious 2 that everyone will tell you are corn snakes and ball pythons. But corns come with a whole lot of stigma (unfairly) attached to them. People almost treat them as throwaway animals because they're so affordable. They're absolutely awesome snakes, but sadly they've been tarnished due to their popularity. It would be very easy to become disillusioned when keeping one and covet something more "advanced"... Such a shame as they're so so cool.

Ball pythons can be trouble feeders. If you've invested in a high end morph and it goes off its food for months at a time it will make the whole experience terrifying and miserable. I'd advise a little experience before putting yourself through that. On the flip side, if you get one that takes prey every time it's a great snake for handling.

The cutest wee snake on the planet is a western hognose. Very few snakes feel like these to touch. They're short and chunky. Never miss a feed. And that nose! :D They're rear fanged but their venom is very very very mild. The only beige thing on this earth you'll never get bored of.

I'd also recommend a grey banded kingsnake (the grey and orange one I have) as pretty as any king or milk but as gentle as a corn. They really are my favourite snakes.

Hopefully that wasn't total waffle :)
Man I love hognoses. I don’t keep snakes but if I ever had one it’d be a hognose

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Beautiful!

Yes, corns are fantastic, and so beautiful. I really enjoyed our king, but a corn would have been my preference. I also cannot get enough of ring necks, but they're not well suited to captivity in my experience...which was 20 years ago.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My sister ( who is older than I am by five years) harped on me plenty in the past years for the number of birds I keep. I ignored it for some time and then got a little piffed about it and told her " You better be darn glad I don't love and keep snakes". Pretty much shut her up... not that there's anything wrong with it. The first snake is quite the beauty!!!!!!!

Abyss

Meeting neighbors
They're beautiful! Very nice colours! :)
Thank you :)

Man I love hognoses. I don’t keep snakes but if I ever had one it’d be a hognose
Do it :) They're awesome wee guys

Beautiful!

Yes, corns are fantastic, and so beautiful. I really enjoyed our king, but a corn would have been my preference. I also cannot get enough of ring necks, but they're not well suited to captivity in my experience...which was 20 years ago.
Thank you!! Not many people have the guts to admit to having a soft spot for corns. I love ringnecks too but sadly living in the UK I've never even seen one in captivity nevermind the wild. The mud snakes from the southern states are dream snakes for me too (that red underside!!) but as you say these guys are better suited to being seen in the wild.

My sister ( who is older than I am by five years) harped on me plenty in the past years for the number of birds I keep. I ignored it for some time and then got a little piffed about it and told her " You better be darn glad I don't love and keep snakes". Pretty much shut her up... not that there's anything wrong with it. The first snake is quite the beauty!!!!!!!
Thank you! And I absolutely get that, I bought my first ever snake to get over my extreme phobia of them so I could show my kid brother and sister that they should never let fear cripple them in life. :)

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I can't wait to see the little dude. Just block out any elitest nonsense you hear and enjoy a beautiful beautiful animal :)
Have you ever had a corn? If you have, I will ask you for advice when the time comes!