• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent MY IRN IS BLEEDING!!!

Bio

Meeting neighbors
Hello all, Aero, my green IRN is bleeding near his face. I went to take an old orange from the bottom of his cage and he panicked( he is 8 months old and not tame). I have had him for one month only, half an hour later I saw a patch of dries blood(I think :() near his eyes. I'am goign to take him to the vet in a sjort while. What shall I do?? Will post pictures soon! He is his normal self, I'am just worried what can happen to him.

dallasd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dallas
corn starch will help clot it. Birds bleed out very easily so you should get him to the vet right away. What exactly happened?

Bio

Meeting neighbors
Tbh, I have no idea. Maybe he bumbed one of his toys as he panicked. Problem is I don't know how to catch him and I don't have corn starch, however I think the blood clotted already as it looks semi-dry.

Bio

Meeting neighbors
I think I'am just going to go to the vets :( He is eating and vocalaising. Is there a big risk of infection???. Doesn't Aero look nice! IMG_0294 1.PNG

Attachments

dallasd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dallas
He should for sure get checked out just to make sure all is well, especially since you aren't sure how it occurred. I hope all works out well for you and your beautiful little fella.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hope all is well..please check in with us and let us know how the vet visit goes.:hug8:

Bio

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for your help and support, it really helped my nerves. Don't worry I will update as soon as possible. Aero's behaviour didn't change at all so I hope that he is well.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If it's not bleeding anymore, chances are he will be fine :)

A good time though to get a full wellness check with the vet, and they will be able to inspect his beak to make sure he doesn't have a crack or split. While you are there, ask them to show you how to safely get him in a towel. If he's not tame, there will be times in his life that you may need to towel him, for meds, grooming, etc, so it's a skill you want to learn.

Best wishes and keep us updated.

Bio

Meeting neighbors
Ok unfortunately the vet is closed till tomorrow, maybe even later. Yes, I didn't even see him bleed only a patch of brown which had progress to blackish. Aero's behaviour has remained the same all day. Of course I will go to the vet for a final-checkup and to have a check-up since he never had one. I'am just scared that he might develop an infection. Is there a big chance that without any medical attention for 24 hours it may get worse?

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
If you can towel him you could apply a small amount of diluted betadine to help prevent infection.

It sounds like he will be fine but a vet check would be best to make 100% sure as early as you can.

On a side note acting normally doesn't always indicate things are fine, one baby lorikeet that I sold a few years back had a major accident in her new home where the family dog bit off the top beak, she was still acting normally and even continued to eat. They did rush her to the nearest vets where she received medical attention and make a remarkable recovery. The entire top beak was bitten off up to the cere, so she was very lucky to live, the shock alone could have killed her.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
First of calm down big thing is if he is still bleeding put some paper in bottom of cage to keep on on that.
Can you handle him?
WShere is injury (beak,side of face nothing near eye)
If so check and make sure cut is not still bleeding?
Is he eating? Drinking?
My gues is he hit his face on cage or toy and scratched his cheep big thing is to find where bleeding is I would call your vet they should had emergency phone number . I can relate and it can be discerning my wifes green cheek got his beek stuck in a toy and when getting it free broke toy and a piece of plastic hit his lower beak an d broke it .

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If you can put some betadine or even a teeny tiny dab of Neosporin on it, you can try to do that. Be careful though you don't get it into an eye.

Obviously keep the cage clean and food/water bowls. Clean the cage, toys and perches with a disinfectant to prevent any possible bacterial or fungal growth and that will limit the chances of infection. If you have F10, use that. If not, 25 parts water to 1 part bleach. I do that to my cages weekly just to be on the safe side.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
If you can put some betadine or even a teeny tiny dab of Neosporin on it, you can try to do that. Be careful though you don't get it into an eye.

Obviously keep the cage clean and food/water bowls. Clean the cage, toys and perches with a disinfectant to prevent any possible bacterial or fungal growth and that will limit the chances of infection. If you have F10, use that. If not, 25 parts water to 1 part bleach. I do that to my cages weekly just to be on the safe side.
Good idea with her hurting face or beak if she /he rubs her beak or face she could get it infected from bacteria in cage.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
You just never know with bird cages where they might wipe their beak and get tiny amounts of food that you don't see in your daily cleaning. So once a week I first wash the entire outside of the cage, then the inside, including all the perches and toys (that are washable).

Bio

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,
Update:
Aero is fine and on the mend :). I took him to the vet and he has a clean bill of health. The vet said that it's nothing more than a scratch and applies some disinfectant with a cotton bud. Aero was screaching the place down in a growly-squawk voice. I did manage to calm him down by a lullaby for a few seconds. As the vet manoeuvred the cotton bud Aero gave it a bite and didn't want to let go. Everyone cracked up laughing and they put him back. I hope that me putting him back will help me in the bond, what do you guys think? Aero is healthy but I have to add more fruits and vegetables in his diet as his beak is a bit flaky and cracked, also he need more sunlight to help his beak to become better. Overall I'am happy! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

This full incident happened due to the grill. On the bottom of the cage but above the removable tray is a mesh grill. From the beginning I hated it because it stopped most of the droppings and any large pieces of fruit( luckily I removed it). So yestersay a chunk/slice of orange fell and I don't know how I overlooked it. So today I saw Aero eating it so I quicly decided I have to remove it. I put my hand inside the cage slowly and gently but Aero panicked and startes flapping around. I removed the orange but after 30 min I noticed a piece of brownes near his eye. So I admit that I panicked for a nice 2hourse. There was no blood on the floor or anything, just a scratch but as this was my first large parrot and first avian emergency. I know that birds are excellent in hinding their illness so I was not really decieved by Aero's behaviour. Nevertheless it was a good sign. And thanks to Avian Avenue and indianringneck.com I was guided on the correct path, SO THANK YOU ALL!!! Oh and I found out that the vet is 8 minute away (but not 24/7). Anyways got to go and give Aero a SUPER-SALAD with fresh water and all his favourite treats for the night. I espicallu bought the apples and the mangoes for him. So thank you all and I will continou the updates.

So far first Avian Emergency went good! :)

-AlphaWolf and Aero

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy to hear it ended well!
Does your cage have a sliding tray? If so, you don't need to reach in, just pull the tray out of the cage.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If you live in an area where it's cold in the winter or dangerous to take your bird outside (predators, West Nile Virus), get a full spectrum light. I have one per bird and have them on 6 hours a day :)