• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Handsome Samson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I just wanted to post some recent pictures I took of my lovely Samson. :) I love this little guy and he is very special to me. He was captive-bred and born from a breeder and hand-fed by me (wild-caught is never a good choice). They are a lot like most parrots in that they LOVE human attention and being with people, they need a very specific diet (MBD is a huge issue with them), they need a large cage and plenty of play time out of it, and they are long-lived (about 20 years or so).

Please excuse all the wood paneling. We are taking that down this summer (i hate that stuff). He has lots of fleecey toys because they LOVE fleece. It's his fabric of choice and it's safe for his little toes lol

Attachments

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
he is so adorably cute!! I love the set up you have for him :)

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
WOWwww thats a huge setup for a tiny little baby, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Simply awesome, oh and samson is soooo cute

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
absolutely precious!!!!!!!!!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Whoa, he's got one HUGE house, now that's what you call a mansion. He's also adorable.. looks like a cuddly little guy. :swoon:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rocky is so adorable! You are a great mom to provide such a wonderful habitat for him!

4Z Birds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
Oooo! So Cute!! Great enclosure for him!

I held my first sugar glider a few weeks ago at a friend's house. So soft, and I LOVE those big eyes!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Sorry to be so ignorant but no idea what breed we are talking about. Whatever he is he is beautiful and those huge eyes are so trusting.
Never heard of a sugar glider before, what are they and where do they come from?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He looks so cute! You did a great job with his living space!

Matt

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
I've always wanted a sugar glider! They're so cute, and so soft... And so sleepy.

Ann, sugar gliders are tiny marsupials, and they're native to Australia and New Guinea.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Beautiful guy and a great set-up you have for him! I miss my gliders but ended up having to find homes for them due to being laid off a while back.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention...he isn't a sugar glider.LOL He is a Southern Flying Squirrel. I didn't mention that in my first post. my bad!

I'm glad everyone like his mansion lol I wanted to build a bigger one, but he does better in that particular room and I can barely fit it through the door frames as-is lol I will be adding new birch branches and toys soon so I can redesign it a little bit. They need lots of space to glide and run, so maybe I will make it longer. It's made out of poplar, which is non-toxic for squirrels. :)

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
WOWwww thats a huge setup for a tiny little baby, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Simply awesome, oh and samson is soooo cute
I've found that the size of the animal has some deciding factor over a cage (you cna always get the minimum), but activity level is actually more important. They need a bigger cage than one would think because squirrels are such active little animals lol

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Beautiful guy and a great set-up you have for him! I miss my gliders but ended up having to find homes for them due to being laid off a while back.

Oh I'm sorry you had to rehome your suggies. That's no fun :( I would die if I had to rehome my flyer.

These other ones are a bit older. I thought I had more gliding pictures...but guess i don't :(

Attachments

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
awww he is so sweet did you make your cage i need one kinda like that for my aracari it is very nice

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Aww Aleu he is sooo cute! We had a roommate with SG's a long time ago. We loved having them around. And that is one cool set-up! Did you build it or buy it? My daughters been begging me for a hamster, I wont show her this, she'd die!

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
awww he is so sweet did you make your cage i need one kinda like that for my aracari it is very nice
Thank you! Yes I did make the cage :) It's a bit uneven in some spots (I've never made a cage before lol), but good enough for me.

I bet a toucan (that's what you have right?)would ove a big cage like that. You might need a different wire though.

Aww Aleu he is sooo cute! We had a roommate with SG's a long time ago. We loved having them around. And that is one cool set-up! Did you build it or buy it? My daughters been begging me for a hamster, I wont show her this, she'd die!
Thanks! I've never met any one with sugar gliders and I've honestly never even held one before, but I hear they make sweet pets due to the fact they love to snuggle in pouches.

If it ever becomes legal I will probably get one, but I'd have to house it away from Samson because you can't mix the two species. I hear suggies are quite loud with their crabbing and stinky with musk. Samson doesn't even make loud squirrel sounds, he sounds more like a chirping bird lol

And yes, I built the cage. :) This is kind of like a hamster..."with wings". Breeders can be hard to find though :\ They aren't as common as sugar glider breeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.