• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My GCC won't eat her veggies??? Help

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
This is going to be one of many posts in the first few days of me being on the forum trying to fix my ways.

I've had my GCC for just under a year, she's probably a year and a few months old. I haven't really been giving her that many fruits and veggies as part of her diet. Recently I decided to fix this. Fruits I can and have been getting her used to, but for the life of me she will NOT eat her veggies. No matter what I try, she won't eat any. She walks away from it, and when she licks it, thats all she does lol. if she ever takes a bite its miniscule and most likely dropped within a sec or two. How can I get her to eat her veggies?

:tpgcc:
Sky

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Persistence and trying it different ways. My macaws won't eat large pieces, so they have to be in a chop. My sun conure won't eat chop, so they have to be in large pieces. Try eating them in front of her, watching youtube videos with other parrots eating them and just keep trying. Try feeding first thing in the morning if you're able (I'm not so I have to feed when I get home) and remove anything not eaten after 2 hours (I believe that's the time frame)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Start here:

I've also got a recipe and some ideas here:

You can also try dehydrated and freeze dried options:

Dehydrated, Freeze Dried, Breads, Mashes, some baked, and more (AA Vendor): Avian Organics The Largest Selection of Organic Parrot and Bird Food Online Bird Bread, Bird Mashes, Cage Blends, Bird Treats

or

Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Organic Parrot Food, Pet Bird Supplies, and More!

Freeze Dried (AA Vendor): Bodacious Birdie Bites

Dehydrated, a few baked things: Christine's Chop Shop

Freeze Dried, including some treats: Texas Natural Freeze Dried Products

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I forgot to mention Christine's chop shop. Her stuff is awesome

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
Persistence and trying it different ways. My macaws won't eat large pieces, so they have to be in a chop. My sun conure won't eat chop, so they have to be in large pieces. Try eating them in front of her, watching youtube videos with other parrots eating them and just keep trying. Try feeding first thing in the morning if you're able (I'm not so I have to feed when I get home) and remove anything not eaten after 2 hours (I believe that's the time frame)
this is really helpful I will try it, but I'm in school so when summer ends how will I be able to remove the veggies during the time limit?

Last edited:

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
Start here:

I've also got a recipe and some ideas here:

You can also try dehydrated and freeze dried options:

Dehydrated, Freeze Dried, Breads, Mashes, some baked, and more (AA Vendor): Avian Organics The Largest Selection of Organic Parrot and Bird Food Online Bird Bread, Bird Mashes, Cage Blends, Bird Treats

or

Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Organic Parrot Food, Pet Bird Supplies, and More!

Freeze Dried (AA Vendor): Bodacious Birdie Bites

Dehydrated, a few baked things: Christine's Chop Shop

Freeze Dried, including some treats: Texas Natural Freeze Dried Products
thanks ill take these tips into mind

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was lucky when i got Mojo as she was used to eating fruit and veggies i was making her fresh chop daily twice a day but there was a lot of wasted food going from the fridge into the compost.
I asked for advice on here and @Mizzely gave me some good advice on freezing it so i could do a good bulk amount initialy she didnt bother so i added a small amount of fresh chop mixed in and she now gets down on it with no issues.

I have cut right back on her fruit though due to the sugar content.

I dont have the luxury of the variety of preapred foods available in North America being from the UK so make everything fresh food wise myself.

I try and offer as much variety as possible and observe what she eating and what she isnt, she eats kale but needs to be chopped into small pieces or she doesnt bother.
Bell peppers need to be in small cubes.
Chilli peppers need to be cut into rings.
Try as much as possible cut in as many different ways as possible.

Been some great advice on whats available to you from vendors etc. But saw you saying you where still at school so my thoughts go the green grocer buy up as many veggies as you can afford and experiment with a much variety and different ways of preparing the food.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
this is really helpful I will try it, but I'm in school so when summer ends how will I be able to remove the veggies during the time limit?
I work from 8-5 so what I do is give them their pellets in the morning before I leave
They get their veggies around 5:30 when I get home and I take them up around 7:30 and if there is any left, I usually feed it to our ducks because they will eat anything
On the weekends - I usually give them veggies in the mornings since I'm normally home all day

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
I work from 8-5 so what I do is give them their pellets in the morning before I leave
They get their veggies around 5:30 when I get home and I take them up around 7:30 and if there is any left, I usually feed it to our ducks because they will eat anything
On the weekends - I usually give them veggies in the mornings since I'm normally home all day
ok thanks!

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
I was lucky when i got Mojo as she was used to eating fruit and veggies i was making her fresh chop daily twice a day but there was a lot of wasted food going from the fridge into the compost.
I asked for advice on here and @Mizzely gave me some good advice on freezing it so i could do a good bulk amount initialy she didnt bother so i added a small amount of fresh chop mixed in and she now gets down on it with no issues.

I have cut right back on her fruit though due to the sugar content.

I dont have the luxury of the variety of preapred foods available in North America being from the UK so make everything fresh food wise myself.

I try and offer as much variety as possible and observe what she eating and what she isnt, she eats kale but needs to be chopped into small pieces or she doesnt bother.
Bell peppers need to be in small cubes.
Chilli peppers need to be cut into rings.
Try as much as possible cut in as many different ways as possible.

Been some great advice on whats available to you from vendors etc. But saw you saying you where still at school so my thoughts gotha the green grocer buy up as many veggies as you can afford and experiment with a much variety and different ways of preparing the food.
thanks for your input! I'll try experimenting starting tomorrow. Thankfully I'm pretty sure my parents will buy the veggies so I hopefully won't go broke lol although if they won't I'll get them myself.