• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first bird! (Java Sparrow)

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Thanks so much, UrbanSylvanus! I think Peepers is female, because she just peeps and doesn't sing. She loves hearing Javas on YouTube and peeps like crazy... but no singing. I was hoping for a male because I heard they are "cuddlier." haha (She's almost 10 weeks old, so maybe there's still a chance?)

Ah, Linnies! I couldn't decide between getting a Java or a Linnie. The enormous droppings they are famous for was kind of a deal-breaker for my husband. lol

I've been hanging out in the bathroom with Peepers for a couple of days and he/she has jumped up on me, and even went on my arm. I've been trying to get her to eat out of my hand, but so far she won't come. I'm hoping for a breakthrough! :)

Thanks so much for all your help! It's greatly appreciated!

Here's a pic from yesterday when Peepers jumped up on my arm. :xflove: (Thanks for the pics you posted of yours. Awww! So cute!)
Hey, another girl! From what I've read and my personal experience though, girls are more even-tempered (for a species that is known to not be so lol) and they're also more braver than the boys so it could help with befriending her! Also don't worry, girls can also be very sweet, Oguro cuddles up in my hand, and even sleeps in it sometimes! (I'll send a photo of that as well since I may as well show off all of her embarrassing pictures!)

And judging from your most recent photo, I'm inclined to believe Peepers is a girl too from her beak shape. Female finches tend to have a narrower longer beak than males. I'll attach a picture of a male that I consider to have a really masculine beak (which feels weird to say, especially when it comes to these cute little birds lol)

And yeah Linnies are pretty messy but they are funny little birds, and their even temper makes it so I'm not always worried that they would pick a fight with Oguro (it was the main reason why I had parrotlets off the table when considering a second bird) Heck, their first meeting ended when Oguro pecked at my dark green Linnie and he wasn't too happy about it. I'm pretty sure she thought his feathers were leafy greens :hehe:

That's great that she landed on you! I feel like that's a big breakthrough already since she feels safe enough to perch on you. If she's avoiding your hand, there might be something that's scaring her? Oguro doesn't like my mom's long nails (compared to my relatively short ones) or when I paint my nails so those might be a factor. It's a bit fuzzy but I think I remember putting my hand on my lap and keeping it very still while Oguro was exploring my bed so pretending it's furniture could help!

Attachments

Peepers

Strolling the yard
I feel better about possibly having a female now. That pic of Oguro snuggled up in your hand is so sweet. Thanks!! :xflove:

Aww... "I'm pretty sure she thought his feathers were leafy greens" That's hilarious!

I'm not sure what the issue is with hands, but she's okay with them when they're holding a long piece of spray millet. lol (I have short, unpainted nails.)

Peepers came with her wings clipped, and they recommended that I always have them clipped, but I don't want to do that. Does Oguro have clipped wings?

Thanks for all the tips!

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
I feel better about possibly having a female now. That pic of Oguro snuggled up in your hand is so sweet. Thanks!! :xflove:

Aww... "I'm pretty sure she thought his feathers were leafy greens" That's hilarious!

I'm not sure what the issue is with hands, but she's okay with them when they're holding a long piece of spray millet. lol (I have short, unpainted nails.)

Peepers came with her wings clipped, and they recommended that I always have them clipped, but I don't want to do that. Does Oguro have clipped wings?

Thanks for all the tips!
The millet could help with positive reinforcement maybe?
Speaking of treats, this is a great time to give her things to try since Javas tend to be reluctant to try new things the older they get. I've seen people give their finches basically anything that's okay to give to parrots so that's a good list to start with! Oguro especially loves apples!

Oguro's wings weren't clipped when I got her, and I personally prefer not clipping wings unless it risks a bird's health (it's a bit of a controversial topic in the hobby but I digress)
As long as you keep an eye on her and make sure all windows and doors are shut when you let her out, she should be fine unclipped. Even if she does escape, having unclipped wings will give her an advantage in survival until you can get her back.
Oguro personally doesn't fly far from me or my mom(her two trusted people), and even if she perches somewhere it's almost always a designated place (for example in my room, she only perches on top of my mirror, tv, or on her cage door if not on me.)
This is Oguro though, I've seen other people's Javas like roaming the floor and pecking at unsuspecting toes, though it always makes me anxious and afraid the poor thing would get stepped on

Also, it's no problem! I'm glad to help, especially because I feel like there isn't much information for hand-tame Javas in English, most of the stuff I learned about them comes from Japan since they've handtamed these guys for centuries

Last edited:

Peepers

Strolling the yard
I've tried various veggies and fruits (including apples), but she won't touch any of them! I try every day, though, and offer different things to see if something will interest her!

I really don't want her wings to be clipped. They told me they see a lot birds with serious injuries from flying into walls and windows. I don't know what to think -- I just know it would be sad for a bird not to be able to fly!

You're right -- there's not much info in English online. Thanks again for your help!

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
I've tried various veggies and fruits (including apples), but she won't touch any of them! I try every day, though, and offer different things to see if something will interest her!

I really don't want her wings to be clipped. They told me they see a lot birds with serious injuries from flying into walls and windows. I don't know what to think -- I just know it would be sad for a bird not to be able to fly!

You're right -- there's not much info in English online. Thanks again for your help!
I've found that Oguro will try stuff if I try tapping at it with my finger (I guess it looks like beaks pecking at it and being fine?) so that could work once she's used to your hand/fingers.

From other experiences I've seen, birds flying into walls and windows is because they're panicking and not looking where they were flying. For windows in particular I think it was the same reason as when wild birds crash into windows. Other reasons I've seen are neural problems or the bird being sick.

In Oguro's case, she's a very graceful flier, making sharp turns and flying through narrow spaces we were sure she couldn't and she hasn't ran into doors or windows even once. (Of course this is just what I've seen, so other more experienced bird owners may say otherwise.)
For windows, I reccomend shutting any curtains/blinders just in case though...

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your little girl is just so pretty, @Peepers! Can’t wait to watch how your relationship grows!

Peepers

Strolling the yard
UrbanSylvanus: I tried tapping her food, but got nowhere. lol

I'll try reading up on what to do when her flight feathers are coming in. She flies pretty well (the little amount she can actually do right now), so it'll be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Your little girl is just so pretty, @Peepers! Can’t wait to watch how your relationship grows!
Thanks, Kassiani! She loves '80s music, so we're off to a great start! haha

Peepers

Strolling the yard
We've made lots of progress over the past two days!

Peepers ate some leafy greens and has been jumping all over us when we take her to our small bathroom. She goes from my 9-year-old son's leg, to his arm, shoulder, and head... and then when I offer my arm, she hops on it. She still doesn't like hands though. lol

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
We've made lots of progress over the past two days!

Peepers ate some leafy greens and has been jumping all over us when we take her to our small bathroom. She goes from my 9-year-old son's leg, to his arm, shoulder, and head... and then when I offer my arm, she hops on it. She still doesn't like hands though. lol
Aww, that's classic Java behavior right there! Oguro enjoys hopping around from my hands, to my shoulder, to flitting off to my mom's hands when she calls for her, to the TV, and back to my hands when she sees I'm holding my phone
(As you can see, she's a very busy birb haha)

I've seen some cases of Javas being hand-shy, so if that's the case for Peepers it looks like she's doing really well! If she's perching on you when you offer a limb, then I don't think you or Peepers will need the bathroom in a couple of days!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She sounds like she's fitting right in with your family!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Welcome to the Avenue! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your conversation!

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Here in NL we know them as “Rijstvink” which translates to ricefinch.
I had a few of them in days past, never knew you could actually tame them!
That's interesting!
Here in Japan they're called 文鳥(bunchou) which roughly translates to "pretty/colorful bird." It's actually of Chinese origin, since the first Javas were brought into Japan via traders from China and they've been hand-raised and tamed since then. It's practically an art, and the pure white Javas are from here too!

Also as a additional fun fact: they're an invasive species in Hawaii, and someone actually somewhat tamed a whole colony after feeding them for a few years lol
Now they perch on her no problem, and some have even come into her house as if they own the place! :roflmao: