• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My conure Rosie!!

Allie94

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Buckmaster
Hi everyone!!

My name is Alice, and I have had my gorgeous little conure Rosie for about a week. She is very cuddly and loves to climb and play with my hair. I am already in love, but I have gotten some sad news: I adopted her from a site called Gumtree, which is quite similar to Craigslist, and I took her to get a vet check on Sunday it turns out she is quite sick and was possibly neglected in her old home. He said she was very underweight and had an overgrown beak, which he trimmed and gave her antibiotics and nutrients, as well as prescribing a high fat seed/veggie diet for weight gain. We're going back next week to do a blood screen for any diseases or untoward causes for her beak and low weight, but I'm hoping and praying that it was due to her previous poor situation (small horizontal cage, 1 dowel perch and no toys except 1 old looking swing - he sold the cage to me as well as her but I got her a new one) and that her new life will improve if I give her the right love and care. The photo is after her beak trim, it's looking much better and I hope it means she can gain some weight for me! Lovely to meet you all!

PS: Also, can anyone give me an idea on her species? The guy who I rehomed her from said Green cheeked, but she has different colouring to any of the mutations I've seen and I don't exactly trust his word for obvious reasons.

Attachments

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
She's adorable! I'm sure a great diet will help a lot. Looks like a black capped conure, I'm sure others will know for sure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Alice and Rosie! :starshower1:

@webchirp may know more about species , I have tagged her so she sees your post :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome and please know we appreciate your care and concern for a liittle bird that was poorly managed before you adopted her. With your care and medical help she will most likely return to health and have a strong bond with you. I may help in the identification process of you post some more photos of her from profile to front.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I agree pearly came to mind first. Poor baby On her history. She’s beautiful.

Have the vet check her for abv and/or the ag test for pdd. If she does have it, you definitely want to limit high seed fat. Ask your vet if he can get you some emeraid. And push things like sweet potatoes (cooked) etc. Get high quality nutrients in her.

welcome to AA!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birdie bread is good too. You can put just about anything in it and there are mixes on Amazon if you want the easy way.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Thank you for helping her.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Birdie bread is good too. You can put just about anything in it and there are mixes on Amazon if you want the easy way.
Grainbake is the bomb too. Easy to make and I cannot cook...well without burning things lots of times. It's really good stuff and all the conures here love it.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome to the Avenue! Rosie is absolutely adorable & I love her name. :joyful:

Allie94

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Buckmaster
Welcome and please know we appreciate your care and concern for a liittle bird that was poorly managed before you adopted her. With your care and medical help she will most likely return to health and have a strong bond with you. I may help in the identification process of you post some more photos of her from profile to front.

Hi!! and thank you!! I am attaching some more photos of her, one in particular is from last week before her vet visit so her beak is horrendous in that one but it should still give you a better idea of what she looks like in terms of colouring :) Thank you everyone for your kindness and support <3. She seems to have gained a bit of weight in the last 5 days and is now 62g (according to my kitchen scales) up from 60g at the vet on Sunday, so that is a really good sign I'm hoping. I'll keep you all updated as to how her blood tests go next week too :)

Attachments

Allie94

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Buckmaster
Grainbake is the bomb too. Easy to make and I cannot cook...well without burning things lots of times. It's really good stuff and all the conures here love it.
Thank you so much!! Will look into it! My city has had a bit of an outbreak so we're all in Stage 3 lockdown (Stay at home order) so there will be plenty of time for baking now :)

Allie94

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Buckmaster
I agree pearly came to mind first. Poor baby On her history. She’s beautiful.

Have the vet check her for abv and/or the ag test for pdd. If she does have it, you definitely want to limit high seed fat. Ask your vet if he can get you some emeraid. And push things like sweet potatoes (cooked) etc. Get high quality nutrients in her.

welcome to AA!
I will! He's going to see her next Friday to assess weight gain and figure out what blood tests to do for potential underlying diseases (his main concern was liver I think) so will see what he recommends in terms of testing. I was always going to do a standard disease screen anyway as have read that it is a good thing for new birds, especially rehomed ones, to undergo anyway as a precaution. Will also add in some cooked sweet potato to her chop too - thank you for the tip!

Allie94

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Buckmaster
ROSIE UPDATE:

She's doing really well!! She's gained weight and is now in the 63-64g range. It's slow, but her vet is happy with it, and advised me to keep going with the budgie starter (which he gave to me at a follow up visit to give her extra nutrients), seed and veggie diet for the time being. She also perked up immediately after that first vet visit when he trimmed her beak and started chattering - her discernable vocab includes "Rosie" and "Kiss kiss" and she's exploring her surrounds a lot more. We're in a New Zealand style Stage 4 "curfew lockdown" at the moment so she spends most of her day outside the cage with me making all my dance school friends on Zoom smile. I've included some pictures and I hope you all enjoy this happy ending of sorts :)

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wonderful update! :loveshower: