• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel is leaning low and screams

Moryu

Sitting on the front steps
Hello
This is my cockatiel, Kakoli, 8 months old and since 3 days ago it does this strange behavior when it lowers his head and elevates the bottom and makes this weird low tune noises.
And it's not like he is doing this all day or something, we monitored him carefully yesterday and he eats, drinks, poops and plays as normal, but also does this like 5- 10 times a day.
Every time I bring my finger to him and he steps on it, he stops doing this and goes back to normal.
I sent the footage of this to a relative who owns a bird shop and does bird services and he said that my cockatiel is getting ready
to lay eggs! and this was obviously shocking to me cause we thought he is a male all this time. we eventually brought him to this relative and he said that Kakoli is healthy and has no problems, and he wasn't 100% sure but he said its like 95% chance that it's a female.
I was relived at the moment but I also noticed that Kakoli is making some scream like sounds (instead of the usual "peep" they make), specially when it goes to that stand.
Worth nothing that I caught him playing with some duct tape a few days ago and he is not the type who eats anything not food but it's a possibility after all.
So You think this is normal or should I bring him to a vet?
20230520_090559.mp4_snapshot_00.01.999.jpg 20230520_163709.mp4_snapshot_00.40.128.jpg 20230520_090559.mp4_snapshot_00.26.900.jpg

Moryu

Update
My other cockatiel (female) just started behaving the same.
They are siblings and born on the same day so I'm assuming the thing my relative said about them wanting to lay eggs must be true.
Only other possibility is that they suffer from same kinda problem that i don't know what it is, but I find that unlikely because all other aspects of their lives are pretty much the same as before.
Still, I would be thankful if a professional person could confirm this or give me some advise, because of my job I can't really bring them to vet until the day after tomorrow unless it's really urgent or an emergency.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Your bird is definitely hormonal, it's a completely normal behavior and I've seen it many times in my female cockatiels. I also think your little buddy is a girl, at 8 months old, they would likely be losing those pearl marking by now if they were a boy. Do watch out for symptoms of egg binding but I wouldn't worry about the behavior you described.

Moryu

Your bird is definitely hormonal, it's a completely normal behavior and I've seen it many times in my female cockatiels. I also think your little buddy is a girl, at 8 months old, they would likely be losing those pearl marking by now if they were a boy. Do watch out for symptoms of egg binding but I wouldn't worry about the behavior you described.
Thank you so much for the review.
Can I ask you if there is anything I can do to improve this condition? I don't mind dealing with such behavior or them being females unlike what we thought before as long as they are healthy but I want them to live their happiest and not suffer in any way.
And also I would appreciate some advises about their attachment to me, cause they seem to have bonded with me a little too much, they start calling for me almost as soon as I get out of their sight unless they are sleep; and this can be a problem since I have to be at work almost every day of the week and they are in care of my parents until I get home.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
There's really nothing you can do to stop birds from being hormonal, but you can discourage certain behaviors. Don't ever pet them on their backs, you should really only pet their heads and necks. If they attempt to court you, ignore them completely. Don't provide nesting materials. Increased hours of light can also increase nesting behavior, so you should limit the hours of light they get by using curtains on the windows and turning the lights off (or covering the cages) when they go to bed. A note though, some cockatiels can be prone to night frights and covering the cage may make the night frights worse or better depending on the individual bird. A good diet also helps prevent egg issues if they do start to lay.