• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My budgie can’t fly - what do I do?

avantia423

Meeting neighbors
Hi there,
I once owned a parrotlet and we were so, so close. I tamed her when she was about three months old and we did everything together.

I now have gotten a budgie - I had done tons of budgie research in the past, but I will say I wasn’t expecting to get this budgie this day. I saw her out of maybe 300 budgies in a bird show which I had gone to for even more research, and she just called to me, I really felt drawn to her playful but non aggressive nature. Out of alllll the budgies there this one was so special because of her temperament.

Not planning to get a bird I even left the show but I turned around and went back to get her. I do believe it is a “her” as there is white on the cere nostrils though I know it is hard to tell at this age.

The problem: she cannot fly. She is reaaaaally young, the breeder said 4 weeks, but I suspected he must be fibbing and she must be more like 6, as she was still very small but looked fully fledged. I went home and realised though she may be that young, which is too young imo. Ireally hate that I had to damage the bonding process, but this morning she was flapping on a perch but not lifting and I had to inspect her to make sure she is not clipped (please don’t raise a debate here, clipping is a very personal choice and I don’t have a problem with people who clip, but I personally want my birds free flighted and my parrotlet was).

This is good as it means she is not physically unable to fly. What I am worried about is that she may not have learnt how and is too young. I purposefully avoided a hand reared parrot (again personal choice please respect that) as I wanted it to learn bird behaviour from its parents, but this bird may as well be hand reared if removed so young perhaps?

I am also worried because she is in a big cockatiel sized cage (I like to spoil them) but since I’ve put her on the ground for her own safety, this will also impede the taming process as she will feel threatened I am always above her.

I could move her to a smaller (but still very large and larger than minimum requirements) cage that is wider than it is tall and place it on my desk. But will the shock in environment change be too much? She hasn’t eaten which is normal for the first day or two, but I don’t want to prolong her fast. Or do I have to bite the bullet and just move her? What do I do if she doesn't start flying in two weeks or so? I want to wait a month or so for the first vet visit until she is bonded some, as vet visits are so traumatising when they first come home, but appearance wise she is very healthy. Clean vent, tidy cere, beautiful plumage and wings, so it’s not like the breeder was negligent. I attached a photo from last night before she was moved to the floor of the cage.

Please any help would be great. I have successfully tamed and loved and owned a much more “difficult” bird than a budgie but every bird is different and I’m stumped here

PS: She also seems to be missing tail feathers, though I thought those were more for stabilisation than lift - my parrotlet once lost several of her tail feathers at once and flew wonky but she could still fly. Perhaps wait for them to grow in and see?

Attachments

Last edited:

avantia423

Meeting neighbors
Also I have attached the best pictures I could get of her wings - absolutely killed me to handle her on the first day, so bad for bonding and training. But I had to look and see what their condition was. She is now preening furiously annoyed at me for ruffling her feathers!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
She looks like she was either plucked by a parent or clipped and the flights are growing back in. This is my 7 week old budgie chick Wiggle (DOH 11/17) and he’s got a nice full set of flights
A365652A-E3E6-4F64-801B-E394C543174E.jpeg

avantia423

Meeting neighbors
Oh no, that’s not good at all if that’s the case... how will she learn to fly if she doesn’t have flights when she is so young?

avantia423

Meeting neighbors
Also what should I do then? I haven’t raised a non flighted bird before, I suppose I really do need to move her to the smaller cage

avantia423

Meeting neighbors
Ok I am full on panicking...I’ve read that birds clipped this young can never learn to fly properly! I’m kicking myself for not asking the breeder how could I miss this crucial detail?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
As nerve racking as it is, I wouldn’t worry too much. Once those flights come in she will likely surprise you and take flight without hesitation. His brother is a few weeks older suddenly without any practice flew several loops around my room landing here and there before coming back to me. I was shocked! I thought there’d be some kind of learning curve but nope, Blue knew what he was doing from moment one! It’s in their DNA to fly, I bet she’ll be absolutely fantastic!

I would make sure her dishes and perches are low and see that she’s able to easily get to her food and water.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
My first bird (not counting those from childhood) was clipped when I got her at 9 weeks. I taught her to come to me in small fluttery leaps from her cage. Slowly I made those leaps bigger and bigger until one day she flew past me and was from then on a perfect flyer and an airborne terror :lol:

My parrotlet, Maus was clipped at 5 weeks (I know the store clips them before they’re weaned) and is an excellent flyer, it’s definitely possible for a bird to learn to fly even if they were clipped before fledging. Especially a small bird, even clipped a light bird like a budgie can flutter quite far. She’ll likely try her wings out whether they’re intact or not. Just be careful she doesn’t get up high and try to fly, crashing into the ground can really hurt their tiny bodies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My two budgies had their flight feathers cut by the breeder at a very young age. They are flying just fine now. They do grow back but it takes 8 to 9 months. In the meantime do things that will encourage exercise safely such as a nice tall ladder for climbing. Some budgies with cut flights will learn to jump from the cage to the floor. It is not a safe place for a tiny bird. Both safety and health should be the main concerns. Its a celebration when that first cut feather falls to he floor.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If she's only 4 weeks old as the breeder suggested or even 6 weeks then she is still growing her primary flights and isn't clipped. To confirm this her tail will be short too. My concern with such a young bird is is she eating okay?

Last edited:

avantia423

Meeting neighbors
If she's only 4 weeks old as the breeder suggested or even 6 weeks then she is still growing her primary flights and isn't clipped. To confirm this her tail will be short too. My concern with such a young bird is is she eating okay?
This is my worry as well. I have been observing her by lying on my bed and watching her through my closet mirror, seeint me still scares her (will cover the mirror for bird proofing when she first leaves the cage). She’s been tugging at Millet spray I left for her but when I looked at it I didn’t see any husks.

She seemed to be eating seeds at the show, but I wonder if she was just playing with them? Can I feed her something like a formula?

Thanks everyone else though for comforting me that she will fly. A lot of sites said they can’t fly ever again properly when you clip them young because they never learn but I wasn’t sure if they were correct or not, PETA sometimes exaggerates things

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll chime in to say that my Linnie was clipped as a 6 week old bird. Her feathers grew in and by age 1, she was an confident and enthusiastic flyer. Now almost 2, she often does a noisy loop around the living room and we all clap and cheer! So she does it a few more times. :)

I'll let the budgie owners help you with the other issues. Best of luck with your new sweetie!

avantia423

Meeting neighbors
It never hurts to offer formula, do you know how to hand feed?
No I confess I don’t, I just didn’t foresee this being a problem but I will YouTube it ASAP and offer her food
If you have any specific resources you recommend please do send them my way

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I had a mentor and asked many questions here too when I was first learning. Honestly, first hand experience is invaluable. It’s lovebird breeding season, you may be able to find a local bird store that’s feeding chicks who could walk you through it. I would avoid bringing your bird anywhere except the vet for a hands on lesson to protect her from infectious diseases/illnesses.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
She has lovebirds not budgies, but I'll tag @Zara in she has great experience feeding chicks and is great at explaining this.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That budgie is not plucked or have cut wing feathers.
The wing flapping you describe is training before flight.
It's important that you allowed it to fly as soon as it can. That is a thing they learn on their own. Nothing their parrent learn them.

It can be starving so feed it with formula.