• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My best friend hurt herself due to night frights *** graph

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
I recently moved into a new home where my birds have their own room they can stay in. I had a night light for them but my female cockatiel had a night fright mane got out of the cage and slammed herself on the ceiling to the point where she almost scalped herself. I took her to the vet that morning and believe it or not she is going to make a full recovery. Aside from the pain and antibiotics the vet prescribed. Is there anything else I can do to help her?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ouch, glad she will be OK.
Just keep her quiet so she can heal. I would confine her in a smaller cage etc when I was not watching as she heals but thats just me.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That sounds scary. Glad to hear her prognosis is so good!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ouch!! Glad she’ll be alright.

My budgie Squeak has had two night frights over the last week and lost most his flights and a bit of blood :(
Not sure what has set him off so I’m thinking I might spend the night in the room he’s in and hopefully discover what’s upset him twice in a week.
We have nightlights and there’s always something making noise in the background so I can’t help but wonder if it’s maybe a neighbour’s light or a bug of some kind.
Hope your little one recovers fast and has no more frights.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our tiel has had very violent night frights not unlike yours. He smashed one of his wings completely into the wall one night, breaking primary flights and blood feathers. Vet insisted that he gets a clip job to even out the other wing, but she also now wants him to remain clipped and not be fully flighted. Although I did not want to, we did a big clip that day. We pay money for her experience and wisdom, and she said clip.
Since him getting chopped, he has not had the violent smash and bash frights like he had in the past. We are sad he has to walk and hop everywhere... but when I think about it, he could have bled to death when he ripped his wing open, so we’re okay with the clip.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry this happened :( You mentioned you had other birds, so I just wanted to mention if she was housed in the same cage as other birds you're going want to house in separately until she heals. I hope her recovery goes smoothly :bluhug:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Poor thing! F&F have had night frights, but nothing that severe. Hoping this won't happen anymore.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww poor little thing. Glad she will be ok! Wishing speedy and smooth healing!

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
I'm sorry this happened :( You mentioned you had other birds, so I just wanted to mention if she was housed in the same cage as other birds you're going want to house in separately until she heals. I hope her recovery goes smoothly :bluhug:
mage is currently in a separate cage for now until she is healed.

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
Our tiel has had very violent night frights not unlike yours. He smashed one of his wings completely into the wall one night, breaking primary flights and blood feathers. Vet insisted that he gets a clip job to even out the other wing, but she also now wants him to remain clipped and not be fully flighted. Although I did not want to, we did a big clip that day. We pay money for her experience and wisdom, and she said clip.
Since him getting chopped, he has not had the violent smash and bash frights like he had in the past. We are sad he has to walk and hop everywhere... but when I think about it, he could have bled to death when he ripped his wing open, so we’re okay with the clip.
I am shocked my Tiel didn’t bleed to death from her injury. I guess there isn’t too much blood i between her scalp and skull but she is getting back to being herself. I was honestly shocked that the vet said that all her vitals are good and that she would make a full recovery since her injury looks really bad.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor baby. My GW macaw had night frights a few times, but never hurt herself. I would have to hold her and baby talk to her until she calmed down. I'm pretty sure the frights were caused by noises outside the RV.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I’m so glad she’s starting to feel better, what a scary situation!