• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Beloved Mango

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
On Wednesday afternoon my sweet baby Mango passed at almost 1 & 1/2 years old. I’m still shocked but I have gotten the strength to finally share this with others and let out my emotions. She was fine in the morning eating and drinking well but then she started flying around and wobbling so I took her to an area were there was carpet so she wouldn’t hurt herself l. I monitored her for about 20 minutes she was panting and breathing heavily and was not eating or drinking. I put her on her cage for one second to call the emergency vet and she let out a little squeak and then she was no more. I believe she had a respiratory infection but the when we took her to the emergency vet they said that she has been gone for a little bit and they couldn’t save her. They also said it whatever she had could have been genetic. I think she possibly had a heart attack. She was taken care of with love and I just feel so guilty because I feel like something I didn’t do caused this. I noticed she was slightly weaker than my other bird Dexter, I planned her vet appointment but they were closed at the time. I took my other bird Dexter to the vet a month ago for a nail amputation and they said he was perfectly fine but I have already scheduled to get him tested for illnesses and a general check up next Tuesday which was the earliest time my avian vet had. They were both a boned pair and they came with us together, my main goal right now is to comfort Dexter and make sure he’s okay. I’m planning on getting him another friend too not now but soon until he’s ready. I just can’t describe how upsetting these past days have been for my whole family and I can’t look at photos of her because I will bawl my eyes out. I just miss her so much and I know she is probably in a better place now. I did not get a necropsy because I did not want them to cut her open and I just wanted to bury her whole. I have a lot of her feathers while she was molting to still remember her but it still hurts. I’m sorry to anyone else who lost their feathered babies and my heart goes out to you all.

Attachments

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry for your loss. :sorrow:
Fly high sweet Mango.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

this happened to my gcc olive too I found her at bottom of her cage in morning my vet said she was healthy and either had a night fright or heart attack from bad breeding genetics

again I am so sorry I know how heartbreaking it is

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

this happened to my gcc olive too I found her at bottom of her cage in morning my vet said she was healthy and either had a night fright or heart attack from bad breeding genetics

again I am so sorry I know how heartbreaking it is
She wasn’t at the bottom of the cage she was at the top of her playset alongside my other bird and she was sitting there breathing heavily and just let out a squeak and her wings fastened over her body, I tried to perform cpr too but neither I or the vet could save her unfortunately.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm so very sorry :sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So sorry for your loss :(

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds very similar to how my first bird, a conure, died. Totally fine, then suddenly shutting down, and dying with a squeak noise. Not even on the bottom of the cage, he was sitting on a perch. When it happened to me almost 10 years ago now, the vet ruled that it was probably a heart attack. I’m so sorry you had to go through this with your baby. When it’s so sudden like that, there’s not much that can be done. Sending hugs. :sadhug2::sorrow: Mango is very loved. Her memory will be treasured.

mango&dex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haniya
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds very similar to how my first bird, a conure, died. Totally fine, then suddenly shutting down, and dying with a squeak noise. Not even on the bottom of the cage, he was sitting on a perch. When it happened to me almost 10 years ago now, the vet ruled that it was probably a heart attack. I’m so sorry you had to go through this with your baby. When it’s so sudden like that, there’s not much that can be done. Sending hugs. :sadhug2::sorrow: Mango is very loved. Her memory will be treasured.
I’m so sorry for your loss, I think it most definitely could have been respiratory issues that led up to an heart attack atleast that’s what the vet said. I did hear a slight clicking noise in her breaths and I shoud have taken her sooner to another vet but the only one that had good reviews was the emergency vet I took her to. I do hear some clicking in my bird that is alive Dexter so I made his appointment to the earliest one. I got a humidifier doing some research too so maybe it will help with that since it is winter over here.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I’m so sorry for your loss, I think it most definitely could have been respiratory issues that led up to an heart attack atleast that’s what the vet said. I did hear a slight clicking noise in her breaths and I shoud have taken her sooner to another vet but the only one that had good reviews was the emergency vet I took her to. I do hear some clicking in my bird that is alive Dexter so I made his appointment to the earliest one. I got a humidifier doing some research too so maybe it will help with that since it is winter over here.
I do know of some people who have conures with chronic respiratory issues. I hope you can get answers to help Dexter too.

MacawCaw

Meeting neighbors
:sadhug2:
I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope you and Dexter know we are all thinking of you during this time and that your beautiful Mango lived a life full of love with both of you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Dartman