• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My beautiful baby has started plucking :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Twinkie is a 7 year old pastelface lutino pearl cockatiel I have had since she was weaned. Recently I discovered she was plucking (under her wings in her armpits where it isn't noticable). Tonight I noticed she plucked a feather on the top of her wing. I tried to take a photo but it is hard to see. I could see the little blood spec from where she picked it.

IMG_4642.jpg

Recently she has had a lot of changes in her life. In the last year we've had a cross country move, new birds come through from fosters to permies, and most immediately, a cage change. I want her to be happy, but I've noticed she is not as active in this new cage. She's been in it about a week and has been on the same perch almost every time I go in. I am considering putting her back in her old cage to see if it makes her happier. I am so devastated by this. I know that so many things can cause plucking, from allergies to hormones. Since this is her first season in CA, I'm inclined to think it is all three - stress, hormones, and the cage change - that has caused the plucking.

My poor baby:sad4:...she has always had the most gorgeous feathers. It isn't much but even the littlest bit makes me sad!

She preens and preens and preens and that earned her the nickname "Twinkess" = Twinkie + Princesss. :swoon:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I think this is a common area for female tiels to pluck. I think it's usually due to hormones. I would move her back to her old cage and try to gradually move her to the other one so she can get used to it slowly. If this doesn't help, you should probably think about bringing her into the vet.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you Allison for your input. I already have it in the plans to take her to the vet if putting her back in her old cage and a little bit of time doesn't help.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
When my budgie had her egg binding issue and her hormones were raging, I noticed she plucked a tiny bald spot on the top corner of her wing. After things calmed down, she let the feathers grow back no problem.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
sounds like a lot of environment change for your little girl!! she does seem the right age for hormones though. i do see a new feather in the spot, so i wouldn't be super concerned unless the spot gets bigger. :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im sorry to see this,I'm sure she will stop once she's back in her old cage. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If your bringing in foster birds there's a pretty good chance she caught something from them. It's time to get to the vet "first".

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I find with my female tiel she is pretty sensitive, she isn't as hearty as my others. She wears her emotions on her sleeve and it is very obvious things aren't right.
It sounds like your little princess may be the same.

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
awwwww im sorry to read this, as she is gorgeous!!:( I agree w/getting her to the vet asap. I'm glad that you care enough and aren't ready to "discard" her b/c of it:hug8:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
awwwww im sorry to read this, as she is gorgeous!!:( I agree w/getting her to the vet asap. I'm glad that you care enough and aren't ready to "discard" her b/c of it:hug8:
I would never "discard" her - what on earth would make you say that!?:confused:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aww poor little Twinkie (BTW-I love that name)... I hope she feels better.. :hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

i don't think this was intended as an attack.... just that some people see a plucker as disgusting and would rather throw their problems to someone else. we know you love your little cutie twink :hug8:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda

i don't think this was intended as an attack.... just that some people see a plucker as disgusting and would rather throw their problems to someone else. we know you love your little cutie twink :hug8:
I love all my fabies...my "special needs" ones are just that, special! :heart:

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I :heart::heart::heart: the nekkid ones :o:. I saw a Cockatiel at a rescue and his head was totally and completely bald! His body was all fluffy and his head was so tiny it reminded me of Beetle Juice. Well, I practically dove onto the rescue woman and I wanted that little boy sooooo bad! But, me and 20 others wanted him!!! It something about those nekkid babies :o:. But, I don't think you will have a nekkid baby. I bet putting her back in her old cage will do the trick!

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay

Nooooooo i didn't mean that directed at you silly!!!! :eek: I was making a statement moreless....ive seen owners do this and its always heartbreaking...and I was meaning thank god for ppl like you who loves them unconditionally:hug8:

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay

Thanks Leza for having my back!!!:hug8:you were right on the money:slots2:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
tiels actually do not normally pluck without an underlying medical issue like giardia..it is, however, not unusual for a tiel to pull out a feather that is bother them..that is not considered plucking.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Sorry Lindsay - I'm a little overly sensitive lately. Wacky hormones, I guess!

I was just going back through some of my photos to see if I could see pictures of underneath her wings...it appears I missed that this isn't the first time? About this time last year I have photos of under her wings that look similar. I seriously don't know how I would miss it. Maybe I'm just a better parront now and more aware of plucking since I already have 2 who do it. These are dated April and May of last year, when we were still in VA and in the height of the "season" there. Here in CA I would consider the last month or two to be the height of the "season" for the birds. I definitely will be getting her to see the vet for a checkup, just in case she has an infection or something. Who knows.

IMG_0023.jpg IMG_1830.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.