• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My banshee is back

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
Well I just went and picked up Tegan this weekend. He was with a friend for 3 months while we moved/drove from Puerto Rico to Maine.

I'm sure this is to be expected but he's been awful. This morning he's been screaming about everything. Because he wanted out of his cage, because I took his water away to refill it, because the dogs were playing, because he wanted some of my breakfast. I know a lot of it is a routine thing, but some of it is not. He's always screamed when I go to refill his water, or when he wants out and I walk away. I was wondering if I could get some tips? It's not really a big deal to me but my husband really dislikes Tegans noise level and it's caused a lot of tension with us in the past...I really want to work to better their relationship.

Right now he's content and quiet because he's out of the cage, I'm near him, the dogs aren't in the room, and I'm not eating anything. But I start work tomorrow and my schedule is going to be part time and sporadic so I'm worried I won't be able to provide him with a consistent schedule...

Thoughts?

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Just curious, how was Tegan's screaming when he was with your friend?

I think he's going to go through a patch while he's readjusting to life back with you, and in a new location. Is his cage large? Does he have a lot to do in the cage? Toys, foraging for food, etc? If the dogs set him off, is it possible to keep them out of the room he's in, or is he in a main room of the house?

AkCrimson

Real Name
Hillari
He's in the spare bedroom because we have a cat. I can keep the dogs out but I don't really like having to. I want him to know it's okay and that the dogs aren't anything to fuss over.

His cage is smaller than the original I had him in but that one was HUGE and I don't have room for it. This is still a pretty good size for a BCC. He's got a preening rope toy, 2 wooden shred toys, and 2 paper/rope shred preen style toys. I'd like to get him into foraging but I've been trying for years without success. I've googled several different styles, I've bought them and made them and he's only ever marginally interested.

Oh, and he's also molting a bit on his head right now so I'm sure that doesn't improve his mood...

AkCrimson

Real Name
Hillari
He's driving me nuts already. I got home from work and he's done nothing but scream and fuss. I waited a bit then gave him a treat but as soon as he was done eating it he went back to screaming. I tried ignoring it and responding with attention and praise when he whistles or says something, but he just keeps screaming. I don't know what he wants =/ This is the kind of thing that makes my husband hate birds =(

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I remember you posting in the past about Tegan and his noise issues for you and your husband. Did he scream like this while at your friend's house?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You might not be able to get him to stop reacting to the dogs. Gizmo doesn't really tolerate the cats and screams at them a lot (they sometimes are allowed to wander around the house when she is out of the birdroom because she is on my shoulder the entire time).

Have you looked in this thread at all for ideas on foraging toys? http://forums.avianavenue.com/enrichment-foraging-park/89431-post-your-diy-foraging-ideas-pics.html

Also, I did this thread several months ago about some ideas for screaming birds: http://forums.avianavenue.com/behavior-byway/96419-how-i-deal-screaming-bird.html

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
He's driving me nuts already. I got home from work and he's done nothing but scream and fuss. I waited a bit then gave him a treat but as soon as he was done eating it he went back to screaming. I tried ignoring it and responding with attention and praise when he whistles or says something, but he just keeps screaming. I don't know what he wants =/ This is the kind of thing that makes my husband hate birds =(
It's probably going to take some time.....I have a screamer, uncharacteristically, a CAG. She is so loud, and its piercing. I prefer not to do time outs in the cage inside, but what I've started (actually months ago) to do is take her in her travel crate outside for some sun. Even if its cloudy, they get vitamin D. She seems to quiet down immediately outside, and it seems to kind of break the chain of negative behavior. I know she's a parrot, but this is way out there. When she comes back in, she seems so be in a different mood. And I feel like I have offered something positive instead of negative. I just set the travel crate on an old card table and sit talking (or not, haha) to her. I started with 10 minutes, now we are up to an hour. I provide shade in the form of a beach towel covering part of the cage. Do you have any way to try to get her some rays? Good luck.