• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Baby Pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickadee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monica
Hi guys! I just brought my baby dusky home last night and I already love him (I guess it's a him! :huh:) so much! He is my first conure so the constant nipping is new to me but it's no biggie.

So while he was being weaned the lady told me that she does not allow birds to sit on her shoulders because then they think they are superior to you. I used to have a cockatiel that loved to hang out on my shoulder but he never displayed any signs of superior behavior... what do y'all think?? Please share your expertise and experiences with me.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I am always told I am wrong - BUT IN MY HOUSE WITH MY BIRDS NO bird not even our tamest bird can be above eye level of any one (including on shoulders) because They become dominant , won't listen, will try to bite or bite, or run away

We don't have to speak a word Just put our hand to them to step up and it starts world war 3

but when ever I mention this, I'm always told I'm wrong and it's something I am doing wrong causing it- when in fact it is NOT. it is a dominant issue WITH MY BIRDS, and many other peoples birds that I KNOW (1st hand experience with most)

but when a bird will step up readily and willingly from Any other place and not fuss what so ever, except when they're above eye level or on a shoulder - that speaks a lot about them thinking they're dominant

and that is how its been in my house for 3 years - so there for for me and my family and our birds YES letting them on your shoulder or above eye level is going to cause them to become Dominant

no one has to believe it - but I won't be changing my opinion on it.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Welcome home, Pickles! Dusky-headed conures are one of my favorite Aratinga conures. I think that they are beautiful!

Shouldering parrots -- it's not always about dominance but safety. Ears, neck, cheek, eye -- all within range of a curious, disgruntled or frightened beak. Even the sweetest of parrots can do some serious damage in a short amount of time.

My lovie was allowed on my shoulders. He liked to hop onto my shoulder and chew holes in my t-shirtd. I have to be careful with my broto, though. He's fascinated by my earrings and when playing with them (they are surgical grade SST hoops) he'll end up nibbling my ear. I now have a no-shoulder rule. He rarely tries to climb past my elbow anymore and instead chooses to rest in the crook of my elbow.

Best of luck with Pickles, Monica!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats! Can't wait for the pics!

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Molly used to sit on my shoulder until she decided to have a few bites on my face. That was the end of that(although she is forever trying to scramble back up there) She got my lip once and that really scared me. I don't think I would ever let another bird sit on my shoulder.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Congrats!! i am looking into a Dusky baby at this moment! Yes the nippiness, I almost forgot! Have a great time with your baby!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations...my birds all sit on my shoulders..mind you they are wittles

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Shouldering parrots -- it's not always about dominance but safety. Ears, neck, cheek, eye -- all within range of a curious, disgruntled or frightened beak. Even the sweetest of parrots can do some serious damage in a short amount of time.
Exactly.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

but when ever I mention this, I'm always told I'm wrong and it's something I am doing wrong causing it- when in fact it is NOT. it is a dominant issue WITH MY BIRDS, and many other peoples birds that I KNOW (1st hand experience with most)
Kelli,

What's incorrect is that it is being labeled as "dominance" which it isn't. Dominance means priority access to resources not about what you are describing. It is true that some people have issues with their birds when the birds are up high, I don't think anyone is disputing that, it's that you are saying that it has something to do with dominance, which is incorrect from a ethological standpoint. Even if your birds have an issue with being up high it still doesn't mean that it's a "dominance" issue. It isn't.

chickadee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Monica
Thanks everyone for the congrats and the input! I was so tickled tonight because I discovered that Pickles likes hiding in any little nook or cranny he can find! I took some pictures with phone but I don't know how to upload to the site!

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Oh thats so cute! You just got him lastnight and he's already snuggling with you like that?!! I can only pray it goes that way for me when my girlie comes home next month!
Oh and awsome name! My husband BEGGED me to name one of our Pets Pickles and Id have none of it, LOL He is very jelous needless to say, LOL!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is such a sweet picture! Did Pickles have a hard day of playing?

Matt

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
Aaaaaaw, that reminds me of when Zoe first came home! She snuggled with me like that her first night! Although she still snuggles like that!!! :lol: I let my dusky on my shoulders but in the beginning I used to have problems with her nipping me when I tried to get her off my shoulders. We are good now because she knows I won't put up with that =) I found that if they back up down your back when you try to get them to step up, that you can carefully lean against a wall and try again without reacting to any nips and they will give up. Well, that worked for me! I wasn't mean or ruff or anything, only persistent :) I won't let birds any bigger than her on my shoulders though! Congrats on your dusky!!!

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Welcome to the wonderful world of duskies! I think that they are one of the under appreciated conures.

Awww, Pickles is so cute! I wish Maghee was cuddly like that... I can't blame her, though, because she was abused for about seven years before I got her. Baby duskies sure are cute, though!

I never allow my birds on my shoulder -especially Maghee! hahaha.

Good luck with Pickles and if you have any questions just ask!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have let all three of the birds I have, had on my shoulder and I have never had any of them bite me,I realize that could change at any moment and Im willing to take that risk. However I do agree that at least with Skittles once he is on my shoulder he will not always come off willingly and will scream and run some times,but I have never had him try to bite when I put my finger for him to step-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.