• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

MY BABY LOVEBIRD STOPPED MOVING AND CAN'T CARRY HER HEAD ANYMORE (sad update and photo #3)

HaiBirdie8

Checking out the neighborhood
Okay so my baby lovebird is around 2 weeks old and we fed them around 2:30pm, afternoon. She walked a lot and was really hyper, climbing my palm and everything. Put her back in the box after she pooped. Put a heatung pat under the box since it's really cold lately. I took her out around 6:30pm to feed again because I try to feed her every 4-6 hours. When I picked her up, it was like she was lifeless, no reaction at all. No usual "wiggling." Her neck also looks broken, like she can't carry sher head anymore. I tried ti feed her, and sbe was able to eat at least 3 drops from a syringe, the crop got full too. Now, she still doesn't move but she still breathes and blinks. I charged my heating compress and placed layers of tissues on top and placed her there, to warm her up. She's sleeping now, but she still hasn't shown any signs of moving or any energetic vibes. I'm new at this and I try my best to feed her first thing in the morning, 6am or 7:30am and end the feeding at around 10:30-11:00 pm. She's sprawled out right now while sleeping, and stretches her legs like she's spazzing a bit. She's breathing with her beak too. 20210222_191314.jpg I don't know what to do, please help me. I'm really attached to her.

HaiBirdie8

Here is another picture and I can't seem to attach a video of her breathing, but it's slow pauses of open and close beak. Her crop seems odd, it bloated then it just flattened 20210222_191620.jpg

HaiBirdie8

....I think she stopped breathing. She's not moving anymore. Her beak is slightly open. She's literally not moving. Did somthing explode in her after her crop bloated then flattened? She doesn't feel right. It's like her body hardened. 20210222_192200.jpg

HaiBirdie8

Goodbye koeki, being with you for less than a week made me so happy. Maybe if I tried harder I could've raised you better. I'm sorry

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m so sorry. Once they’re breathing the slow gasp, there’s nothing you can do. The baby looks dehydrated, I guess something happened (an injury or getting squished by others) and she couldn’t take food. Or there could be something internal wrong that we cannot see.
You did your best, try to remember that. It’s always hard to lose one.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss.

If you want some more answers of what happened, place your bird in a ziploc bag in the fridge and take her to the vet for a necropsy.
She certainly looks on the scrawny side. Malnutrition, low temperature in the brooder, low humidity, and more could all be factors. She also appears to be lacking a lot of fuzzy down feathers all over her body.

Do you have the rest of the clutch?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry that she didn’t make it.:sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry for your loss.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2::sorrow:
So very sad but you tried. Its not easy to raise chicks this young.
Your chick looked very dark reddish to me but obviously was sick.
So sorry for your loss of this little angel. Fly free little one.