• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Munching cage mates tail

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Quite often I see Buttercup trying to preen/nibble(?) Jasper's tail feathers. Even when it's not a preening session. No feathers are being pulled out or anything, and Jasper only seems mildly annoyed with it. Is Buttercup being a jerk or does she/he feel that something is amiss with Jasper's tail, or what???

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
It's probably normal behavoir but if you notice that Jasper has over-preened (over-preened feathers will often look V shaped and jagged) feathers than it might be a good idea to separate them or buy some bird safe feather spray that makes the feathers taste bitter.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How about big shredding toys inside cage. May distract.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
How about big shredding toys inside cage. May distract.
It's funny because they have really started to get into shredding, and I've added a few toys they like to go at. It seems like Buttercup does this particularly when they are playing with them. It's like he gets over zealous with his shredding and takes it out on Jasper!

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
It's probably normal behavoir but if you notice that Jasper has over-preened (over-preened feathers will often look V shaped and jagged) feathers than it might be a good idea to separate them or buy some bird safe feather spray that makes the feathers taste bitter.
The feathers on his tail are looking over-preened. I don't want to separate them just yet as they have been behaving in all other regards. Is this spray something you buy in regular pet stores?

BeeBop

I think so. I have never looked for it myself but you should be able to find it. Also preening toys and shredding toys may help.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Buttercup is being a jerk because he knows it annoys Jasper.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Add even more shreddable toys to keep Buttercup occupied. You could also make a preening toy out of feathers and strings of paper to fulfill Buttercup's urge to preen. DO NOT put any type of spray on Jasper's tail. For one, this could be ingested and possibly be toxic to Jasper. Secondly, putting something bitter on Jasper's tail will possibly stop Buttercup from overpreening Jasper's tail, but it will also stop Jasper from preening his tail; birds naturally preen their feathers to keep them clean and in order. Jasper could also dislike the spray so much that he starts pulling his tail feathers, and even other feathers out, to escape the spray.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Add even more shreddable toys to keep Buttercup occupied. You could also make a preening toy out of feathers and strings of paper to fulfill Buttercup's urge to preen. DO NOT put any type of spray on Jasper's tail. For one, this could be ingested and possibly be toxic to Jasper. Secondly, putting something bitter on Jasper's tail will possibly stop Buttercup from overpreening Jasper's tail, but it will also stop Jasper from preening his tail; birds naturally preen their feathers to keep them clean and in order. Jasper could also dislike the spray so much that he starts pulling his tail feathers, and even other feathers out, to escape the spray.
You make a good point about stopping normal preening. No spray. I've discovered hemp twine which seems to be about the best thing in the world ever to these two. I've added more preening toys, and lots of twine strings. I saw some feathers at the craft shop today and was wondering if I could make a toy out of them - I'll have to go back and get them.

So far all this seems to be working, I haven't seen much tail action yet today. Plus I moved them to the bigger cage. They are just really nibbley right now. Almost like teething kids. Come to think of it, they behave exactly like my two kids. Maybe they are learning from observation!

BeeBop

@Diesel13 thank you for your comment. I never realized those things about feather spray. :)