• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Multi bird aggression help!!!

Spazulagoo

Checking out the neighborhood
I have 2 conures. They were our 1st babies. My fiance adopted a very skittish Indian ringneck while he was on a contract job out of town, who now stays in the home with me and the conures because I have more time to work with them than he does. Some days are great and they seem to respect each others space with minimal problems, but some days the conures are trying to attack this poor scared baby who is twice their size. We've had multiple crisis situations ending in bloody toes.

The vet wants their wings clipped, but we're not really comfortable with that. I know in my heart it would devastate them and potentially cause just as much mental or behavioral harm.. I also don't want to further isolate our poor new baby who I'm trying so hard to get comfortable with people and his environment. He's already improved so much.

They have their big cages and play area upstairs. And small sleep cages and play area down stairs where we sleep, which is also usually where we unwind, watch TV etc. My black cap seems particularly territorial over our bedroom/downstairs. He will attack (I think specifically males aside from his dad) if they enter the room or the house suddenly so we've been trying to work on that also.. and if I'm gone during the day their cages are next to each other so they can get used to the new bird safely.

I've been trying to split my time better, so usually the ringneck goes to bed earlier then I spend quality time with the conures, then can have some one on one time with the ringneck before they wake up. We're just used to doing mostly everything together so finding a new routine is hard on everyone. Tonight I tried to bring everyone downstairs to watch a movie so no one would be left out. This is not the 1st time we've done this. It went mostly fine for hours. Just the occasionally...."hey, leave him alone. You know better" when I see them sneak closer to him them redirect their attention to something else far away. Then multiple getting closer attack attemps in a row. So we went in the cage for a few minutes. And when he came back out full attack and ended up with probably a broken toe. We bandaged and will have to go to the vet as soon as they open.

Im at a loss. I can't handle anymore bloody or broken toes or emergency vet trips. I also don't want their wings clipped if there's something I can be doing better. Then if it's a matter of the new bird not being allowed downstairs in their 'territory' how do I bond with him and make sure he doesn't feel isolated. He doesn't like to be touched or picked up. Some days he's brave and will come out of his cage. Other days he still has too much anxiety. But he's gotten so much better. Much less pacing and screaming. He'll eat seeds from your hand now and will at least step up on an arm to eat a treat before swiftly returning to safety. He's very sweet. Just very scared and anxious and makes bloody toes when his space is invaded.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It sounds like separate out of cage times is the best and safest way to go I think

Spazulagoo

It sounds like separate out of cage times is the best and safest way to go I think
That's the way it is most of the time. Because they can fly they'll go land on his cage to bother him...thus the toe injuries.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That's the way it is most of the time. Because they can fly they'll go land on his cage to bother him...thus the toe injuries.
Many of our members attach a piece of plexiglass to the top of the cages or use sheer curtains to keep them separated or off the other bird cages.

Hopefully some other members with the same sort of issue will chime in soon to share their tips for dealing with this stuff.

Spazulagoo

Plexiglass is a good idea. Any fabric i've tried, they get curious and immediately want to go play on it. I guess I'm trying to sort out if there's a trigger since so often they accept his presence and ignore him. And when I have time to 100% monitor they've even done fine with all being out simultaneously. The conures follow me around and do what I'm doing or play on their own near me. And Squirtle (the ringneck) stays in his cage or on top of it if he's feeling brave.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Separate out of cage times for sure, and cover the cage tops if toe biting is an issue. In a pinch you can put some trays or wooden cutting boards up there until you get plexiglass or acrylic. (Love Squirtle's name btw, we have some big Pokemon fans in my home!)

Is there any neutral territory that you have not used yet with them that nobirdy "owns"?

Separating the birds will fix the toe biting, but I'd be more concerned about your black cap's aggression and protectiveness over your sleeping space.

Can you move cages around to shake things up a bit? Can the birds sleep in the bird room? Can the conures go stay at your fiance's home for a few weeks? Getting him out of his usual space and routine could help with his territoriality.

Spazulagoo

Thank you so much! Yeah I'll see if we can sort out some type of neutral space. We do move the cages around quite a bit too.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I have 10 caiques, 6 of them make up 3 breeding pairs. At other times of the year we have babies so I have had upwards of 20 birds at a time. Each pair pretty much can not be trusted with any of the others. Also groups of young birds (flying but not yet weaned) don't like other groups of young birds and then on top of that I may have brooders with babies in them. No wings are ever clipped.

The keys is just knowing and fully accepting that I am responsible for their safety 100% of the time. I have two rooms so basically the babies stay out of the room where the adult birds are and there is a door to separate the rooms. If adult birds are in the baby room then all the babies are in their cages or brooders and if needed (depending on the individual birds) I cover the cages with sheets (or you can use heavy comforters or quilts for more separation. All of the cage tops are covered with a rigid sheet of plastic because even when cages are not needing to be covered I find the tops are too good a place to land so I keep them covered with the plastic all the time just to prevent accidents.

Some birds do get along but in general if it is getting worse not better it is not likely to change. Clipping wings will not prevent attacks it will only limit the ability to execute one. It's really not a solution (I realize you are not planning to clip, I support that :).

I think getting them used to the routine and rotating their time is your best bet.