• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving Taming Process Slower?

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
So Izzy has been getting out (Zip ties are now in issue) trying to find the other birds. When she REALLY wants to go you can hear the pitter patter.

So I've been having to kind of chase her and use a dowel to get her back on, and today my brother and my family of non bird lovers had to get her back inside using a towel (luckily with no screaming and biting) and eventually a wooden dowel.

Could this cause a fear of humans and set back taming?? If not, I'm planning on working with dowels for the step ups for now and inching my fingers closer

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, that can set back your taming progress! Positive reinforcement works on the basis of trying to make each experience for the bird to be a positive one. Chasing the bird and forcing the bird to do things if you don't have to is trust destroying.

Below are some good pages that I really like. May be worth reading.

Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: How to Make Friends with a Parrot
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Training a Scared or Aggressive Parrot To Step Up
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Respecting the Bite
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Help! My Parrot Wont Step Up!

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
Yes, that can set back your taming progress! Positive reinforcement works on the basis of trying to make each experience for the bird to be a positive one. Chasing the bird and forcing the bird to do things if you don't have to is trust destroying.

Below are some good pages that I really like. May be worth reading.

Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: How to Make Friends with a Parrot
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Training a Scared or Aggressive Parrot To Step Up
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Respecting the Bite
Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Help! My Parrot Wont Step Up!

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Thank you for all the links!!!

So far, I think the issue is hands! She has no problem jumping on my leg, chest, or going up to my arm and neck (even let allowed my mom to carry her around the house). But fingers...no thank you.

And I've been using those step up techniques..I think she has some of it...a few more days and I'll think she'll be okay

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Food.

Best thing to use! This is just a sample of how I used food to earn the trust of some birds. I have used this method with more cockatiels as well.

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
Food.

Best thing to use! This is just a sample of how I used food to earn the trust of some birds. I have used this method with more cockatiels as well.
your birds are beautiful! :jawdrop1: :jawdrop1:
I'll be trying that tomorrow, since its quite late right now. But that is the top of my lists after school haha, I would try to bond by giving her individual sunflower seeds...mmm not so well, she accepts them but is uncertain of it.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
BONDING TAKES TRUST TRUST HAS TO BE BUILT BEFOR ANYTHING DO YOU LIKE TO BE FORCED TO DO ANYTHING BY ANY ONE , WHY IS A BIRD DIFRENT THAN A HUMAN WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE GRABED BY A BIGGER PERSON IM SORRY BOND FIRST IF IT DOSENT WANT TO STEP UP LEAVE IT BE , IT TOOK ALMOST 6 MONTHS BEFOR I EVEN TOUCHED MANGO AND HE WAS CAGE FREE ALL DAY BUT HIS WINGS WERE CLIPPED THAT HELPED HE WAS CLIPPED WHEN I GOT HIM TAKE YOUR TIME HUN BUILD A STRONG BOND THEN ALL WILL FALL IN TO PLACE

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
BONDING TAKES TRUST TRUST HAS TO BE BUILT BEFOR ANYTHING DO YOU LIKE TO BE FORCED TO DO ANYTHING BY ANY ONE , WHY IS A BIRD DIFRENT THAN A HUMAN WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE GRABED BY A BIGGER PERSON IM SORRY BOND FIRST IF IT DOSENT WANT TO STEP UP LEAVE IT BE , IT TOOK ALMOST 6 MONTHS BEFOR I EVEN TOUCHED MANGO AND HE WAS CAGE FREE ALL DAY BUT HIS WINGS WERE CLIPPED THAT HELPED HE WAS CLIPPED WHEN I GOT HIM TAKE YOUR TIME HUN BUILD A STRONG BOND THEN ALL WILL FALL IN TO PLACE
Sorry if I sound like I'm rushing it, I wanted to take this part VERY VERY slow. But now she's always wanting to come outside, so for now, while she's very enthusiastic I'm going on her terms. So I try to do tidbits of training here and there like picking her up with a dowel. Luckily, I haven't grabbed her yet and I hope I never do.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like you're doing just fine. :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Sorry if I sound like I'm rushing it, I wanted to take this part VERY VERY slow. But now she's always wanting to come outside, so for now, while she's very enthusiastic I'm going on her terms. So I try to do tidbits of training here and there like picking her up with a dowel. Luckily, I haven't grabbed her yet and I hope I never do.
HUN SORRY IF I SOUNDED LIKE YOU WERE RUSHING THINGS , I DIDNT MEAN TO, TRY IF YOU CAN PUT HER IN HER OWN AREA WITH ALL HER THINGS CLOSE TO HER CAGE I MADE A TREE WITH TOYS ONIT I HAD A PARROT STAND AND PLENTY OF YOYS HANGING OUT SIDE OF CAGE BUT MANGOS WINGS WERE CLIPPED I LEFT THE CAGE DOOR OPEN AT NUGHT I PUT HOT FOOD IN IT AND WHEN HE WENT IN I SHUT HIS DOOR IF HE LOST HIS BALANCE I LIFTED HIM BACK ON HIS CAGE OR PLAY STAND OTHER THAN THAT NOTHING ELSE I STOOD TALKING TO HIM THEN ONE NIGHT HE LET ME TOUCH HIS FEET AND THAT SAME NIGHT HE ENDED UP LAYING ON HIS BACK IN MY HAND YES IT TOOK MONTHS BUT HAD NO PROBLEM SINCE THEN TO GE HIN TO STEP UP. BUT ALSO IN 7 YRS NEVER MADE HIM COME TO ME OFF HIS PLAY AREA FOR TRAINING THEY SHOULD BE IN A NOTHER PART OF THE HOME A NOTHER ROOM THIS WAY YOUR NOT INVADING THERE HOME YOU ARE RESPECTING IT HOPR YOU CAN MAKE OUT WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY

HUGS HUN

GHornbill

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Reid
HUN SORRY IF I SOUNDED LIKE YOU WERE RUSHING THINGS , I DIDNT MEAN TO, TRY IF YOU CAN PUT HER IN HER OWN AREA WITH ALL HER THINGS CLOSE TO HER CAGE I MADE A TREE WITH TOYS ONIT I HAD A PARROT STAND AND PLENTY OF YOYS HANGING OUT SIDE OF CAGE BUT MANGOS WINGS WERE CLIPPED I LEFT THE CAGE DOOR OPEN AT NUGHT I PUT HOT FOOD IN IT AND WHEN HE WENT IN I SHUT HIS DOOR IF HE LOST HIS BALANCE I LIFTED HIM BACK ON HIS CAGE OR PLAY STAND OTHER THAN THAT NOTHING ELSE I STOOD TALKING TO HIM THEN ONE NIGHT HE LET ME TOUCH HIS FEET AND THAT SAME NIGHT HE ENDED UP LAYING ON HIS BACK IN MY HAND YES IT TOOK MONTHS BUT HAD NO PROBLEM SINCE THEN TO GE HIN TO STEP UP. BUT ALSO IN 7 YRS NEVER MADE HIM COME TO ME OFF HIS PLAY AREA FOR TRAINING THEY SHOULD BE IN A NOTHER PART OF THE HOME A NOTHER ROOM THIS WAY YOUR NOT INVADING THERE HOME YOU ARE RESPECTING IT HOPR YOU CAN MAKE OUT WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY

HUGS HUN
I can read everything perfectly fine :p

I can see where I sounded like I was rushing things, I should have put my words together better. I have a little play stand coming in on the way, but for now all the training sessions are in the bathroom since she just loves going in there! I hope I have the same success as you do!
:hug8:
Take care!