• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mousey tried to bath!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
Mousey was on my shoulder and I poured myself a glass of water. While trying to drink it Mousey was inquisitive so I put the edge of the glass close to him. At first I thought he was dipping his beak to drink but then he moved closer and closer and tried to bath himself!! I do have a sand bath that I put down for him each day but I didn't know he would want to bath in water. At it was evening I took it away from him but do you think it would do any harm if I put a shallow plate of water at the bottom of his cage to bath in during the day? I will ensure he is in the sun so that he can warmly dry himself afterwards. Any advice please?:confused:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
A shallow dish of water would be good. I noticed that my white-backed and red-faced will diip themselves in water to wet their bellies, and then do over to the sand dish and shimmy in it. The sand helps to remove some of the excess water from their feathers. Then they look like sugar coated donuts...LOL

The blue-napes really don't like to get into water. They prefer to rub themselves against something wet and then get into the sand.

As to Mousey, you can also place down a wet lettuce leaf and see if she/he will bath against it.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
During the early morning or late afternoon you also might want to put the cage in an area where Mousey can get sun for about a 1/2 hour or so. Most most birds like to sunbath. They will fluff their belly feathers so that the sun can reach their skin and warm their bodies.

Attachments

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
Yep, doing this tx - he loves it. I also do it for a short while before he comes in at night.

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
Will also try the shallow water and lettuce leaf to which he prefers. He's getting stronger by the day and is now picking on bigger bits of fruit which is great. He is also stronger in his flying but still only for a short distance so we're getting there! Tx for all the advice, it has helped me big time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.