• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mouse in my apartment.....

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This morning I was at the counter making the birds breakfast when out of the corner of my eye I saw a black blur go running under my fridge :shifty: I can only assume it was a mouse. He probably loves to eat all the food the birds get on the floor. I'm going to get some traps to try out tomorrow, but until then...

Should I be concerned about my birds health? I doubt the mouse would actually come in contact with my birds but are there any diseases the mouse might be carrying that I should be worried about?

Do you guys have any trap suggestions? Any that I definitely shouldn't use? I obviously don't want to use any thing that could harm my birds. Any other tips or info? Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We seem to get mice every other year or so at our house. They never bothered my tiel. We haven't had any (knock on wood) since we got Elvis. I don't think mice really carry any diseases you need to worry about. I buy the humane traps but if you get those, you have to release the mice at least a mile from your house or they will come back.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We seem to get mice every other year or so at our house. They never bothered my tiel. We haven't had any (knock on wood) since we got Elvis. I don't think mice really carry any diseases you need to worry about. I buy the humane traps but if you get those, you have to release the mice at least a mile from your house or they will come back.
Thanks! I'd like to try the humane traps first. Since the mouse doesn't seem to be a threat to my birds I have some time to look for a humane trap. I was planning to just buy whatever I could find at Walmart or lowes tomorrow but I think I might wait to get a humane one if they don't have any.