• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Morningbird probiotics

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Does anyone use this brand of probiotics? My question is , how much of it do you use, in how much water?
The directions on the bottle says add 1/4 teaspoon to drinking water.
Their website says Add 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) of PROBIOTICS per quart (32 fluid oz., 4 cups or 0.95 Liter)
I called them to avoid confusion and the guy guessed about a teaspoon per 8oz of water. He says they cant overdose on probiotics.
Sure would like to know the proper amount to use. I could guess like the guy did, but i dont do things like that.

Attachments

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
I haven't, but I will be soon as well. My vet recommended it as a substitute for avian benebac (since they stopped making that for some reason.)

Rebel

I haven't, but I will be soon as well. My vet recommended it as a substitute for avian benebac (since they stopped making that for some reason.)
How will you mix it? As youve read, their directions are all over the place.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I haven't used probiotics in a while. I think it's a little worrying that they said you can't overdose them... My understanding is that while it's not technically harmful, too much could cause gastrointestinal discomfort.

Another brand has theirs set up for 1/8 tsp per day on soft foods for a bird under 100g.

Vetafarm says 1g per Liter of water.

I would probably err on the side of 1/4 tsp per 4 cups, or 1/8 per 2 cups. You could try 1/8 per 1 cup or lightly sprinkle moist food and see if it seems to be causing any gas, etc.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I haven't used probiotics in a while. I think it's a little worrying that they said you can't overdose them... My understanding is that while it's not technically harmful, too much could cause gastrointestinal discomfort.

Another brand has theirs set up for 1/8 tsp per day on soft foods for a bird under 100g.

I would probably err on the side of 1/4 tsp per 4 cups, or 1/8 per 2 cups. You could try 1/8 per 1 cup or lightly sprinkle moist food and see if it seems to be causing any gas, etc.
You can indeed end up having too much which may cause terrible upset and diarrhoea.

Rebel

I said to the guy, a tsp to 8oz. of water seems like a lot. He would just say “works for me”.
The directions on the container also says add 1/4 tsp to one cup of food. Thats reasonable and to the point. Ill try it on her food. Shes on antibiotics and the vet wants her to have probiotics at the same time. Theres too much mystery involved with the water. I dont want to over do it but at the same time i want her to get enough to actually do something.
I may call the manufacturer again. Maybe ill get a normal person this time. Thanks for your help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I said to the guy, a tsp to 8oz. of water seems like a lot. He would just say “works for me”.
The directions on the container also says add 1/4 tsp to one cup of food. Thats reasonable and to the point. Ill try it on her food. Shes on antibiotics and the vet wants her to have probiotics at the same time. Theres too much mystery involved with the water. I dont want to over do it but at the same time i want her to get enough to actually do something.
I may call the manufacturer again. Maybe ill get a normal person this time. Thanks for your help.
I always prefer the food option too. You could also start with a smaller dose and then work up to a larger one which would also help alleviate any discomfort :)

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
Does anyone use this brand of probiotics? My question is , how much of it do you use, in how much water?
The directions on the bottle says add 1/4 teaspoon to drinking water.
Their website says Add 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) of PROBIOTICS per quart (32 fluid oz., 4 cups or 0.95 Liter)
I called them to avoid confusion and the guy guessed about a teaspoon per 8oz of water. He says they cant overdose on probiotics.
Sure would like to know the proper amount to use. I could guess like the guy did, but i dont do things like that.
Okay, so when I went to my avian vet today, I brought MorningBird probiotics (which she had recommended) and HealthyGut probiotics (for comparison).
I pointed out the HealthyGut brand serving size was 1/32 of a teaspoon (95.75mg) per food bowl (for a 100-250g bird, since they list different serving sizes and that one covers 3/4 of my flock), while MorningBird brand lists 1/4 tsp (1050mg) uniformly. She told me that serving size is based off the number of colony-forming bacteria in the serving. And while HealthyGut is 5 billion cfu (and therefore very dense), MorningBird is significantly more sparse at 180 million cfu. Hence why its recommended serving size is 10x the size.
She said I'm unlikely to overdose my birds with probiotics following either of those servings, and that even if I manage it, it'll be gastro upset, not fatal. She said it's unlikely birds will consume 100% of each serving anyway.
I used to give benebac to 2 of my birds daily (they are prone to gastro issues without it), but with MorningBird it'll probably be like once a week, just to be on the safe side. We only talked about food servings, but MorningBird says the same for 1 qt of water and HealthyGut only mentions food.
Based off that, for 8oz I'd say 1/16 teaspoon (1/4 of 1/4.) You can find a measuring spoon that size online, sold on one of those rings of many small sized measuring spoons.

Rebel

Much appreciate the valuable and interesting information. I wonder why your vet recommended MorningBird when there are bigger and better things available?
From what ive read, most manufactures suggest giving birds probiotics every day. Are there people who do that? Is there a need for that?
Rumor has it that Bene-Bac quit making bird probiotics. Have you heard anything about that?
As i mentioned earlier , i decided to go the food route as opposed to putting it in water. I read that the goodies start to die off if mixed with water. I dont know how true that is. Besides that its just easier to sprinkle their food.

Rebel

Okay, so when I went to my avian vet today, I brought MorningBird probiotics (which she had recommended) and HealthyGut probiotics (for comparison).
I pointed out the HealthyGut brand serving size was 1/32 of a teaspoon (95.75mg) per food bowl (for a 100-250g bird, since they list different serving sizes and that one covers 3/4 of my flock), while MorningBird brand lists 1/4 tsp (1050mg) uniformly. She told me that serving size is based off the number of colony-forming bacteria in the serving. And while HealthyGut is 5 billion cfu (and therefore very dense), MorningBird is significantly more sparse at 180 million cfu. Hence why its recommended serving size is 10x the size.
She said I'm unlikely to overdose my birds with probiotics following either of those servings, and that even if I manage it, it'll be gastro upset, not fatal. She said it's unlikely birds will consume 100% of each serving anyway.
I used to give benebac to 2 of my birds daily (they are prone to gastro issues without it), but with MorningBird it'll probably be like once a week, just to be on the safe side. We only talked about food servings, but MorningBird says the same for 1 qt of water and HealthyGut only mentions food.
Based off that, for 8oz I'd say 1/16 teaspoon (1/4 of 1/4.) You can find a measuring spoon that size online, sold on one of those rings of many small sized measuring spoons.
I bought a container of the HealthyGut. It was leaking powder. Was your container air tight sealed like the MorningBird container? Mine had a seal in the lid but it wasnt type that you have to peel off.
I emailed the manufacture Equa Holistics , got no reply and they dont answer their phone.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I bought a container of the HealthyGut. It was leaking powder. Was your container air tight sealed like the MorningBird container? Mine had a seal in the lid but it wasnt type that you have to peel off.
I emailed the manufacture Equa Holistics , got no reply and they dont answer their phone.
Could they be having a long weekend for Easter?

Rebel

Could they be having a long weekend for Easter?
Maybe. The phone number has no answering machine or anything. It just rings a few times and then hangs up.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are they on instagram or facebook? Many people find they get very fast replies when they contact companies who are not replying through social media platforms.

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
Yeah, it has the plastic layer keeping the lid tight to the container that needs scissors to get through. I got mine off amazon.

Rebel

Yeah, it has the plastic layer keeping the lid tight to the container that needs scissors to get through. I got mine off amazon.
I meant after you took the cap/lid off, was there a seal on the bottle itself? I got mine from amazon too but it was actually shipped from the manufacturer.

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
I meant after you took the cap/lid off, was there a seal on the bottle itself? I got mine from amazon too but it was actually shipped from the manufacturer.
I haven't opened it yet. I'm waiting until I need it.