• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

More issues with Biscuit and her egg laying self!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Ugh, I've had enough of this sub-forum lately! :faint:

As many of you know, Biscuit had her egg laying emergency. http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-emergency-highway-911/56867-about-lay-egg.html She's home now and I think I discovered what made her attempt to lay - her new cotton perch! It's the only thing different about her cage (besides toys) recently, and is soft and probably felt good to her and nesty.

This afternoon I caught her doing mating behaviors on the perch.

Seriously?! Her left leg is still bad from the (temporary) nerve damage, she can barely hang on to the perch, and she's getting down on (with??) it.

Now I'm panicking because I don't want her trying to lay another egg!!! Obviously, I need to remove the cotton perch. But it's the ONLY perch she is able to stabilize herself on right now and has her food and water right next to it as she can't get around. What do I do?!?!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Are you talking about a rope perch? Do you have a platform perch you can substitute?

Ginger

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I actually stole Rocco's platform perch from him (he was NOT happy!) and put it in her cage last night. She won't go on it yet - I even tried to entice her on with millet. I'll keep trying and hope she will go onto it.

When she was getting it on I tried distracting her with cracker, which did work. But obviously I can't sit there staring at her all day. Though I am checking on her every hour or so because I'm so worried about her.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
How about vet wrapping a regular perch, and maybe the plat form perch? This worked for my splay legged lovie.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Good idea!! I'll have to buy some. Where can I find some? Just at a vet's office?

Or can I use the wrappings made for humans?

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
here is the thing, if the egg laying process has already started, there is nothing you can do to stop it...she was probably already starting to lay another one...so expect another and keep your eye out for anything abnormal..

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Vet wrap is available at the vet & at some pet stores. I'd stick w/ the vet wrap, although I don't really know about the human stuff. If I don't know for sure, I stick with the known.

Status
Not open for further replies.