• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More bird rescue toy questions

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Still making toys for a local rescue...but the Macaws just snipped the leather like it was paper. Rescue owner gave me a big bag of chain. It needs to be cut to size and I have no idea of what tool to use. Suggestions would be appreciated. I would also appreciate suggestions on what to put on the bottom to keep the wood from sliding off. I tried some stainless steel rings, but they were hard to separate and impossible to close neatly-it left a sharp edge.

I also was able to score several pounds of bulk pine, and it dyed up nicely (thank you for the suggestion on how to safely dye wood for birds). I am looking for bulk balsa, any suggestions? I want to help the birds stay entertained/enriched, but all the balsa I have found so far has been very expensive.

Thank you

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For metal chain you need bolt cutters. I use quick links tightened with pliers on the bottom of the chain. Unless you can weld the SS rings on the chain there's not too many options.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
How heavy is the chain? Like I can cut 2mm chain with my one cutters but 3mm and 4mm I use my Ryobi Bolt Cutter, its battery operated, it is a wonderful tool to have. So yah chain is about the only thing that is more worthy for Macaw force.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could try using plastic wiffle balls to put on the bottom of the chains