• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More about the evolution of birds and of flight

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I read that dinosaurs were the first avians/animals with feathers. Jurassic park portrays a false dinosaur look. All dinosaurs/most had feathers and resembled birds not lizards/reptiles. Thought it was neat and good to know. Explains why the Trex had tiny arms as those may have been covered in festhers and resemble tiny wings. Fit for a runner.

Good articles Lois:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I read that dinosaurs were the first avians/animals with feathers. Jurassic park portrays a false dinosaur look. All dinosaurs/most had feathers and resembled birds not lizards/reptiles. Thought it was neat and good to know. Explains why the Trex had tiny arms as those may have been covered in festhers and resemble tiny wings. Fit for a runner.

Good articles Lois:)
Back when jurassic park was made, we didn't have all the same facts as we do now. The classic Dino look was what we thought was correct. If you watch the second and third ones, they do give the raptors feathers, showing some change even between movies in what we learned.

The velociraptors depicted are way off, and really are actually Utahraptors. So obviously jurassic park isn't a good educational medium ;)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Earlier dinos were like lizards but as the raptors evolved, they became feathered animals. One line of dinos stayed reptilian and another line evolved into birds. When one looks at the whole line of dino like animals from the beginning of the age of dinos on, it is an amazing walk through evolution, just like watching the four legged mammals evolve into two legged/two armed long tailed monkies and then into the tailess ape which leads to the two legged austrailopithicines and onto true homo species.

The dinos, who did that small to large, then four leg to two leg journey before the mammals show the trial and error path of evolution much better than that of the mammals. I am always amazed and facenated by the march of the dinos through all the different body styles and sizes and then the abrupt appearance of the two legged dinos and their further charge into the raptors. Just amazing, specialized dead end animals coming out on some of the family trees; but the raptor tree never actually ends except at the mass extinction boundary; with the proto birds continuing on with the new mammals, old and new reptiles and amphibians and the insects, fishes and the like.

Just an absolutely amazing march or life across the eons of our world with an astounding ninety nine point nine percent of all species that have ever lived on the earth turning into an extinct species leaving what we see today. Is it any reason I worship Gaia, Mother Earth, the bringer of all known life (at present).

There is a science fiction writer who posited another life form living in the universe, more advanced than us mammals who are actually reptilian in evolution. This writer opens his book with the reptilian race invading earth at the beginning of the second world war; and due to the reptilians more advanced technology, they conqueor us easily: but we eventually win back a lot of the earth for ourselves because the mammalian evolution created a more adaptable creature with faster and more flexible thinking patterns than those of the reptilians. Just an amazing series of books who start with the initial invasion about two years into the beginning of the second world war and the last book I know about started with humans building their own space ships and going to the reptilian homeworld to negotiate with them for equality in space exporation and colony foundation. Very interesting ideas and concepts and also gave the writer the freedom to posit on how a reptilian government would evolve, how and why it would succeed and whether or not it could actually compete with the mammalian race after the technological quality became a factor. Loved those books. Now all I have to do is remember the author's name so I can see if I can get them from Amazon on my Kindle!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Back when jurassic park was made, we didn't have all the same facts as we do now. The classic Dino look was what we thought was correct. If you watch the second and third ones, they do give the raptors feathers, showing some change even between movies in what we learned.

The velociraptors depicted are way off, and really are actually Utahraptors. So obviously jurassic park isn't a good educational medium ;)
Yes I know:rolleyes:

I grew up with Jurassic park movies. All Im saying is what Ive learned recently shocked me. I thought it was quite interesting. That most dinosaurs were completely feathered. Not like #3s raptors. Which werent truly feathered, just had some feathering.

I also remember reading how dinosaurs were warm blood not cold blood. So even more avian than reptilian.

Velociraptors were suppose to be 3-4' and this was known knowledge prior the the #1 movie. But they went ahead with their ideals and plans.

Most movies for entertainment are not made with education on their minds. Whatever gave you the idea that I thought this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I know:rolleyes:

I grew up with Jurassic park movies. All Im saying is what Ive learned recently shocked me. I thought it was quite interesting. That most dinosaurs were completely feathered. Not like #3s raptors. Which werent truly feathered, just had some feathering.

I also remember reading how dinosaurs were warm blood not cold blood. So even more avian than reptilian.

Velociraptors were suppose to be 3-4' and this was known knowledge prior the the #1 movie. But they went ahead with their ideals and plans.

Most movies for entertainment are not made with education on their minds. Whatever gave you the idea that I thought this?
I never said or implied that you thought Jurassic Park was completely accurate. You said, "Jurassic park portrays a false dinosaur look." All I was saying was that even a movie, which is inaccurate, also was adding feathers to their raptors (which, again, where Utahraptors because velociraptors were much smaller as you said) with the knowledge we have learned in just the last decade or two. When I was a kid, all of my books were filled with scaly monsters - NONE had feathers. Jurassic Park 2 and 3 actually got a lot of criticism for the small amount of feathers they added to the raptors because even then, people expected them to look like 100% reptiles. There wasn't enough public knowledge when the first came out to have expected them to add feathers.

That was all.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I see :)

I dont recall #2 having feathers. But the blue raptors of #3 def had feathers on their necks.

Theyre making a #4. I wonder if in 2014/2015 we will see what a dinosaur should look like or what people want them to look like.