• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More about Bourke's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I have recently been reading up on bourkes, and think they just sound like wonderful sweet little birds, especially for a family with children, who want to interact with a bird without fear of being injured by a bite. Anyway, in my research, I discovered an AMAZING mutation...the lutino bourke! What a GORGEOUS bird! Has anyone seen one of these in person? I wonder how hard they are to come by. I would LOVE to have one....someday. Anyone know of where one might find a lutino?

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
LOL, thanks. I actually emailed about this bird, but it is an adult and not handfed or hand tamed. Im concerned it would be too flighty, fearful, and difficult to tame down. But thanks for the info!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
LOL, thanks. I actually emailed about this bird, but it is an adult and not handfed or hand tamed. Im concerned it would be too flighty, fearful, and difficult to tame down. But thanks for the info!
ahh didn't notice it said adult, Sorry about that

Mine are adults and aren't too rowdy- my kids hold them I've only had them since March , their "bite" is actually very funny to me I'm sure they could bite if they wanted to but the male(or so i was told was male) just opens his beak and pecks at me he thinks he's biting the snot out of me though lol

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
LOL Thats pretty funny! Im sure even an adult would be pretty docile and eventually handleable, but I would want one that is really tame,and loves people. Especially since I will probably need to have the bird shipped and wouldnt be able to see it first. I want to be pretty sure it would be tame and friendly and make a good family pet. :)
Im not ready to buy one now anyway, but I was just wondering how hard lutinos are to fine....

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have a Rosy Bourke and she is the BEST! She was a handfed baby and her wings had been clipped. I held her a lot. Now, she is fully flighted and I let her out to fly around and the will land on my shoulder and hang out and then fly off when she feels like it:) After living with Willow, I get frustrated when I read that Bourkes are more "aviary" birds and don't make good pets. She is a wonderful pet! I have seen a few lutinos in person, the Rosies are my favorite:)

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Awwww...willow sounds so adorable. I once birdie sat a little rosy bourkes with splay legs. She was SO sweet, friendly, and docile. I loved her. The rosy's are very pretty, no doubt, and I would be happy with one of them, but when I saw those lutino's.....WOW...my eyes popped! Just so gorgeous. Thanks for telling me about Willow. I hope a bourke's (of any color) is in my future. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Awwww...willow sounds so adorable. I once birdie sat a little rosy bourkes with splay legs. She was SO sweet, friendly, and docile. I loved her. The rosy's are very pretty, no doubt, and I would be happy with one of them, but when I saw those lutino's.....WOW...my eyes popped! Just so gorgeous. Thanks for telling me about Willow. I hope a bourke's (of any color) is in my future. :)

Thank you:) She is a real sweetie. I only saw the lutinos one time, at a bird fair.

MBS

Jogging around the block

I was at EMR this past weekend to look at a handfed bourke. Eva, the breeder, had a couple of Rainbow Bourkes that she was handfeeding because their parents were first time parents and didn't feed them well enough. She only had one left when I came over and it was so sweet, adorable, and gorgeous.

I looked at all of her Bourke mutations and they were all so gorgeous. I loved the lutino. I think they look like pink lemonade. I want a rubino and a rainbow mutation so badly.

Anyway, let her know what you want and she will handraise one for you. She said she would do it for me. I told her that we wouldn't be getting her last handfed bourke that was almost weaned because my daughter is still waiting on the white parrotlet that she had a deposit on. The one she was supposed to take home nearly two weeks ago didn't gain the appropriate weight about a week or so before he was scheduled to go home, and the breeder didn't feel comfortable selling him. She had one white male in her last clutch of the year so we're waiting on that one. He should be ready in about a month. If he also doesn't do well healthwise, then I'm having Eva handfeed a new bourke for my daughter.

Last edited:

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Oh wow, thats great to know! When the time comes, I will contact her, and see if she will handfeed a lutino for me. That would be awesome. Thanks for telling me, and good luck with your decision as well. :)

isma945

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ismael Lara
i breed bourkes and happen to have four lutinos in the nest ill post pics as soon as possible we sell them for 150.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I was at EMR this past weekend to look at a handfed bourke. Eva, the breeder, had a couple of Rainbow Bourkes that she was handfeeding because their parents were first time parents and didn't feed them well enough. She only had one left when I came over and it was so sweet, adorable, and gorgeous.

I looked at all of her Bourke mutations and they were all so gorgeous. I loved the lutino. I think they look like pink lemonade. I want a rubino and a rainbow mutation so badly.

Anyway, let her know what you want and she will handraise one for you. She said she would do it for me. I told her that we wouldn't be getting her last handfed bourke that was almost weaned because my daughter is still waiting on the white parrotlet that she had a deposit on. The one she was supposed to take home nearly two weeks ago didn't gain the appropriate weight about a week or so before he was scheduled to go home, and the breeder didn't feel comfortable selling him. She had one white male in her last clutch of the year so we're waiting on that one. He should be ready in about a month. If he also doesn't do well healthwise, then I'm having Eva handfeed a new bourke for my daughter.

I've never heard of a Rainbow Bourke So I had to go Google one, Doesn't look a whole lot different than the Rosy It just seems to have more yellow and blue on it but other wise looks just like a Rosy

Pretty though

MBS

Jogging around the block
i breed bourkes and happen to have four lutinos in the nest ill post pics as soon as possible we sell them for 150.

Please do. Where are you located? Do you handfeed them? Thanks.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Really? Oh gosh, cant wait to see photos ! Yes, where are you located...and do you ship? Do you have a website?

MBS

Jogging around the block
Judi, I think we have the same taste in birds. We have two male budgies, one pf lovie, one parrotlet and another parrotlet might be on the way (assuming he's healthy this time).

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Judi, I think we have the same taste in birds. We have two male budgies, one pf lovie, one parrotlet and another parrotlet might be on the way (assuming he's healthy this time).
LOL...thats hilarious.....and now, the love of bourkes! "matchie flocks"...Funny. :lol:

isma945

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ismael Lara
here are four that we have know i decided not to hand feed this clutch but i might hand feed an upcoming clutch. though i have another pair sitting on two rubinos and a rosey but im not sure if ill hand feed them. just wanted two show pics of my rubino female and two roseys that we just finished feeding. oh and no i do not have a website. Im located in Southern California (LA)

Attachments

MBS

Jogging around the block
Thank you so much. These are such lovely birds. I'm in Riverside County almost in San Diego County so I'm still far away if you count Southern CA traffic.

I am so tempted. My favorite is the rubino and the rosy.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
aww those are adorable

my Rosy's had an egg but it never hatched :( took them 6 months to give me the one egg. Supposedly they're proven breeders and haven't had a clutch since Sept 09 I got them March of this year

isma945

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ismael Lara
aww those are adorable

my Rosy's had an egg but it never hatched :( took them 6 months to give me the one egg. Supposedly they're proven breeders and haven't had a clutch since Sept 09 I got them March of this year
thats a bummer but with my experience with bourkes after moving them around it takes even a proven pair anywhere between 2 to 3 clutches to get back into their routine of caring for their eggs/hatch lings. the pair that had the four babies in the picture threw out all of there eggs the first three times they tried to have babies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.