• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Morbid question

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yes I know no one likes to think about this, but I have anxiety so I think about it a lot.

If your bird(s) pass before you, what is your plan to do with them? Cremation? Burial?

I’ve been thinking about it. There’s a guy semi local who does really amazing work with articulation - building the skeletons. I don’t think I could have it done with mine… maybe. I don’t know. Or a full taxidermy.

Does anyone ever think about that?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I return them to the earth. Gizmo is buried in my sister's yard and Bobber is buried under a lilac tree at my apartment up the road from me.

It's what a want for myself. A green burial where you get to decompose. We take from this earth our whole lives and I think allowing ourselves to become part of it is the last gift we can give as thanks. :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Pico with his favourite ball and olive with her favourite toy are under tree in my garden but I’ve just because of you posting this thought when we move they will stay here :crycry:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pico with his favourite ball and olive with her favourite toy are under tree in my garden but I’ve just because of you posting this thought when we move they will stay here :crycry:
They live with you in your heart and can never be separated from you :hug8:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I buried a few birds and other small pets at my previous home. It was very woodsy and I was always worried that a wild animal would dig them up. I had my last bird, a canary, cremated.

Gigi is a little sick right now, under excellent vet care and on medication. Last week in one of my sadder and fearful moments I found a perfectly sized box for her should she pass and put it in my closet. Then I asked my new vet if they cremate. They do and that's what I would choose this time.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I return them to the earth. Gizmo is buried in my sister's yard and Bobber is buried under a lilac tree at my apartment up the road from me.

It's what a want for myself. A green burial where you get to decompose. We take from this earth our whole lives and I think allowing ourselves to become part of it is the last gift we can give as thanks. :)
Me too . Exactly same reason.

@Xoetix while I'm fascinated and appreciate Skeletons of parrots I don't know, I just couldn't with mine

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I buried a few birds and other small pets at my previous home. It was very woodsy and I was always worried that a wild animal would dig them up. I had my last bird, a canary, cremated.

Gigi is a little sick right now, under excellent vet care and on medication. Last week in one of my sadder and fearful moments I found a perfectly sized box for her should she pass and put it in my closet. Then I asked my new vet if they cremate. They do and that's what I would choose this time.
I hope Gigi is ok sending positive vides

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
When my sun conure died while at the vet, the vet asked me if I wanted an individual cremation and have her ashes returned to me or if I wanted to have her cremated in a group with other animals and then buried somewhere. I was obviously a complete mess and my brain was non-functional, so I thought those were my only two options. I would have never chosen cremation otherwise. I opted to have her cremated and her ashes returned to me. I then promptly buried her ashes in the earth.

With my green cheek, I buried him directly in the earth. It is also my wish to return to the earth and ~re-enter the cycle of life~, a sort of reincarnation and return to life in my mind, so that is what I want for my guys.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've gotten all my pets cremated and my heart dog Penny,heart bird Nala and sweet Zazu's ashes are all in urns with their pictures on them and they all sit on my nightstand so I can see them before I go to sleep. For me personally it would be so sad to have them buried, where I may never be again if I moved away.

My plan is to be cremated myself and have their ashes put with me so we can always be together.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have no ground to bury them in so I had everyone cremated. Like @April their boxes sit on my night stand, there's a picture of me holding my dog Jacob there too.

My plan is to be cremated myself and have their ashes put with me so we can always be together.
This is my last wish. I had told my partner that the day I die to cremate me and pour Jacob in my urn. I had even pondered getting the urn and putting Jacob in there at some point to wait for me, but ultimately I decided it was too grim. This was before any of my birds had passed away, so now we would all be united for our last journey together.

I had thought of scattering the birds ashes up the mountain, I used to take Sydney up there in his harness. I can see it from the balcony here. But ultimately, they shouldn't go anywhere without their partners.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I had Sunny cremated. His ashes are in a pretty box and a had pretty bronze engraved plate made for it on Etsy.

I also recently cremated my feral cat that recently passed away. In part, because it was still winter and I couldn't bury her because the ground was frozen. My vet made the arrangements for Sunny. For the cat, I went to the pet crematory place myself. I was amazed- in a good and a bad way. You can have pet funerals there. They have all kinds of urns, boxes, etc. You can get jewelry with your pet's ashes, etc. It's a whole big business. I had no idea.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had Sunny cremated. His ashes are in a pretty box and a had pretty bronze engraved plate made for it on Etsy.

I also recently cremated my feral cat that recently passed away. In part, because it was still winter and I couldn't bury her because the ground was frozen. My vet made the arrangements for Sunny. For the cat, I went to the pet crematory place myself. I was amazed- in a good and a bad way. You can have pet funerals there. They have all kinds of urns, boxes, etc. You can get jewelry with your pet's ashes, etc. It's a whole big business. I had no idea.
My parents and sister are entombed in a mausoleum at a nearby cemetery. They also have an outside pet cemetery. I've walked through and it is the dearest place ever. There are pictures and tombstones with sweet quotes. Tons of flowers year round. One tombstone had a traditional dog name, can't remember, but something like Rover. And the quote was "He was a good dog." So simple that I cried when I read it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I now struggle terribly with the thought of burial (as in being put in a hole in the ground and covered with earth so you can rot away) so I now choose cremation when possible. I had a terrible heart wrenching experience having to bury my heart dog twice as my mums feral tenants for some reason dug her up and left her for me to find when we finally got them out of the property. I’ll always choose cremation if it’s an option I think.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I now struggle terribly with the thought of burial (as in being put in a hole in the ground and covered with earth so you can rot away) so I now choose cremation when possible. I had a terrible heart wrenching experience having to bury my heart dog twice as my mums feral tenants for some reason dug her up and left her for me to find when we finally got them out of the property. I’ll always choose cremation if it’s an option I think.
Omg ! That's absolutely awful I am so so sorry that you had to experience that.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I don't find this an odd topic, as it's something I think about myself. My cockatiel, CJ, who passed away just prior to the pandemic at the age of 28 and having been with me his entire life, is buried in the yard. It didn't feel quite right.

My beloved little West Highland Terrier, who was with me from the age of 10 weeks until he passed away a couple of years ago at the age of almost 15, was cremated. His ashes live in a beautifully engraved mahogany box here in my home office, up on a shelf alongside his collar and favorite toy, and an imprint of his paw print. He was my best little friend for so long and it feels right to have him here with me. I think I'd do the exact same moving forward if any of my birds were to pass.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I have had mine cremated. They are sent back in a wooden box with a brass name plate, and some have space for picture's on the front. You can choose to have a saying on the plate as well. Then I find the best photo and have it printed on canvas to sit next to the box. I still talk to them sometimes, and tell each goodnight each night.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I've already dealt with that situation with two parrots, George the YCA and Scooter the CAG. Both are buried in my brother's backyard, since I rent and don't have a yard of my own anymore. The property where the parrots have their final resting places is likely to remain in the family for years to come, since my niece will inherit it someday (I hope a long time in the future) and will probably live there into her old age, and that's a long way off. They're buried in a nice shady spot not far from a little stream and have grave markers that I painted on flat rocks. When Ralph eventually needs his final resting place, it will be right there with George and Scooter.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Don't feel bad about thinking about this. I did before Major died, and since her death was sudden it was a relief to be able to make a decision quickly when the vet asked. I chose private cremation since the ground here is hard to dig and because I had a necropsy done on her. I never saw her when she was dead so that had some positives and negatives. The company the vet contracts with provided a sealed box with her name engraved on it. I also received a clay plate with her footprint in it.

Another thing I did was request that the vet save her leg band. Not sure if any of your birds have one, but it's something to ask about since I'm not sure a band survives the cremation process.

If you are worried, you can also start saving some of your birds favorite feathers from a recent molt. I regretted not having as many of the special feathers as I wanted when Major passed - especially those cute "cheek" feathers.