• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monty the macaw

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What is the approximate temperature there?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt pants when he’s too hot. Does your baby have its wings out from its body too?

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Any luck with the vet? I don’t think it’s something we should hope for to “go away” on its own.
I really hope you’ll be able to consult a vet (online at least) and get some answers and recommendations. You owe it to your bird. We all owe it to them :) they can’t rely on anyone else but us, they depend on our decisions:hug8:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think you will find most birds will pant a bit and struggle some in that temperature unless it’s what they’re used to full time and can cool down some

Reactions: Ali

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These are vets in Jaipur:

I would go to this one: WelCome

Please contact one of them urgently.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw
I thought birds suffering with dehydration had eye balls that kind of sunk into their heads and in the case of Macaws the skin wrinkles an awful lot around the eye?

I remember reading some of this the other week when Burt had his little hunger strike and I was worried about dehydration so I had a quick look for what I needed to look out for- I am in no way questioning either of you- I am here to learn what I can.

Monty looks to me like his cheeks in some areas have swollen and other areas have badly sunken in but not his actual eye balls? They look normal to me in comparison to his other pics. Could a reaction or bite possibly do something like this?

I also noticed the photos only show one side of Monty's face.... @MEENA JI are both sides of Monty's face the same to look at?

I have no idea what the issue is and like the others I think the sooner you can find and contact a vet the better but I am really curious about what is going on with Monty.

EDIT: I now see that some of the questions I asked have been answered, sorry about asking the same things you have already answered Rakesh.

Last edited:

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw
I thought birds suffering with dehydration had eye balls that kind of sunk into their heads and in the case of Macaws the skin wrinkles an awful lot around the eye?

I remember reading some of this the other week when Burt had his little hunger strike and I was worried about dehydration so I had a quick look for what I needed to look out for- I am in no way questioning either of you- I am here to learn what I can.

Monty looks to me like his cheeks in some areas have swollen and other areas have badly sunken in but not his actual eye balls? They look normal to me in comparison to his other pics. Could a reaction or bite possibly do something like this?

I also noticed the photos only show one side of Monty's face.... @MEENA JI are both sides of Monty's face the same to look at?

I have no idea what the issue is and like the others I think the sooner you can find and contact a vet the better but I am really curious about what is going on with Monty.

EDIT: I now see that some of the questions I asked have been answered, sorry about asking the same things you have already answered Rakesh.
Thank you
I am contacting vets but some say they only deal dog and cats
And some say come to my clinic
Otherwise I can’t help.

I can’t go with monty to anywhere because of lockdown
I am so afraid

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
If any vet consult online.
i can pay them
But please tell me that whoom i would contect

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Did you ask the vets that tell you to take him in if they do video/ online consults?
Can you possibly get a permit to travel to the vet clinic- it is allowed here even though we now have a night time curfew and a few other newer restrictions we have not had before. If the vets you already contacted won't do an online consult then I am sure someone here will know of a vet who will consult with you online as a last resort.

I think there are a few online vets in the UK and the USA but I am not really sure how it all works with those services.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We are looking into any of our vets that do consults.

Can you call or email this one?

What you want to stress is that this happened in days. He was fine and then he was not. Send pictures of Thursday and then after.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
These two vets that TKA found say they have online consults. Have you tried them?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dr. Orosz does do consults. They have used Zoom I believe to do things in the past. I do not know the process and you will need to contact them. Ask for Jim first and foremost as he is their clinic manager and manages Dr. Orosz' schedule as well as everything else under the sun. He will be able to tell you how the process works. You may need to have at least a vet present that she can direct for care.

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Friday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Saturday 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM

5166 Monroe St. Suite 306
Toledo , OH 43623 US

** We are located near the Franklin Park Mall, and behind Davids Bridal**

Phone : (419) 843-3137
Fax : (419) 365-2455

For emergencies click this link for the emergency hotline and information about Med Vet Toledo

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have done phone consults with Dr. Orosz in the past (before Zoom). I sent her background information and pictures through email and then an appointment was set up where we could speak over the phone. It was an excellent process.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You might contact Brian Speer, Doctors - Medical Center for Birds - Oakley, CA

I have consulted with him several times. He knows macaws (co authored the book "The Large Macaws").

What kind of childrens toys does the bird chew on? Does Monty chew on the cardboard box? Just checking for things that may be mildly toxic.

Should Monty slow down eating and drinking please post right away.....

Can you post a video of Monty panting or breathing hard?

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
You might contact Brian Speer, Doctors - Medical Center for Birds - Oakley, CA

I have consulted with him several times. He knows macaws (co authored the book "The Large Macaws").

What kind of childrens toys does the bird chew on? Does Monty chew on the cardboard box? Just checking for things that may be mildly toxic.

Should Monty slow down eating and drinking please post right away.....

Can you post a video of Monty panting or breathing hard?
No cardboard box just some soft rubber toys
I clean every morning with warm water

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@MEENA JI The very best of luck with your vet visit. We are all hoping that you find out what Monty's problem is and that it is easily fixed.

Please keep us informed.