• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monty the macaw

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
Rakesh.... I helped you raise that boy so make sure you keep him safe!

I trained parrots professionally for over 20 years and don't feel comfortable with free flying. I know many are successful in keeping them from harms way but it only takes one accident to ruin everything. Reward him EVERY TIME he returns to you. Make sure you have ( and he is aware you have ) two different high value treats on you every time you fly. Keep that pretty boy safe, okay.
Yes sir i make my full effort to keep him safe
I reward him every time
Thank you sir

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
Rakesh.... I helped you raise that boy so make sure you keep him safe!

I trained parrots professionally for over 20 years and don't feel comfortable with free flying. I know many are successful in keeping them from harms way but it only takes one accident to ruin everything. Reward him EVERY TIME he returns to you. Make sure you have ( and he is aware you have ) two different high value treats on you every time you fly. Keep that pretty boy safe, okay.
Sir i want a help from you
Monty didn't want to be weaned.
He is still on 2 time hand feed.
He takes little little fruits , veggies and seeds
But he still demanding hand feed.
How can i wean monty
He is about 7 month old.
Plese give me suggestion.
Thanks

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:rofl: My BG didn't wean until almost 2 years old. I'm the last person you should ask.
I ended up soaking pellets in warm water and making formula. I would feed him a little formula and squirt the rest over the warm soaked pellets.
That was breakfast. It got to the point that the formula wasn't needed and he just ate the warm soaked pellets for mealtimes.

and... ma'am works better then sir. :D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Macaws tend to wean themselves - when they are ready. My Jasper didn't wean until 7 months and some don't wean until much later. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't force Monty to wean earlier, because he is free flying and that tends to put some emotional stress on them. He is separated from you at times. Hand feeding is a great comfort to them and it reassures them that dad loves them.

Do you get together with others to free fly Monty. Having company to fly with gives them confidence.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree not to worry and rush weaning, our Mango didn’t wean until he was 10 months. We both enjoyed feeding time together. OfferEd his new foods at every meal and I ate it with Mango to show him it was OK and reacted in fun which he likes.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I let my green wing tell me when it was time. Monty will tell you. There will be days when he doesn't want it, and then there might be a day when he decides he really needs it again. Just follow his lead, and it will happen.

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
:rofl: My BG didn't wean until almost 2 years old. I'm the last person you should ask.
I ended up soaking pellets in warm water and making formula. I would feed him a little formula and squirt the rest over the warm soaked pellets.
That was breakfast. It got to the point that the formula wasn't needed and he just ate the warm soaked pellets for mealtimes.

and... ma'am works better then sir. :D
I am really very sorry
Mam
:D

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
Thab
Macaws tend to wean themselves - when they are ready. My Jasper didn't wean until 7 months and some don't wean until much later. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't force Monty to wean earlier, because he is free flying and that tends to put some emotional stress on them. He is separated from you at times. Hand feeding is a great comfort to them and it reassures them that dad loves them.

Do you get together with others to free fly Monty. Having company to fly with gives them confidence.
Thank you so much

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
I let my green wing tell me when it was time. Monty will tell you. There will be days when he doesn't want it, and then there might be a day when he decides he really needs it again. Just follow his lead, and it will happen.
Thanks

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
Agree not to worry and rush weaning, our Mango didn’t wean until he was 10 months. We both enjoyed feeding time together. OfferEd his new foods at every meal and I ate it with Mango to show him it was OK and reacted in fun which he likes.
Thanks