• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monty the macaw

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
Free flight is amazing. I would love to do it if I ever get a larger bird in the very very distant future. I couldn't do it here though, way to dangerous
yes you’re right some other predators can attack to bird on outdoor.
i alwys affrid about it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would so love to free fly Burt..... It’s just not safe where we live though. Everyday he has birds of prey circling and eyeing him off when he’s just sitting at the window inside so I’m not sure even attempting an outside trip on a harness is safe :(

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
I would so love to free fly Burt..... It’s just not safe where we live though. Everyday he has birds of prey circling and eyeing him off when he’s just sitting at the window inside so I’m not sure even attempting an outside trip on a harness is safe :(
I agree

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
any body have diet plan
if have please give me suggestions for diet plan for whole day for monty

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@MEENA JI I'm so glad you asked about Monty's diet. A macaw's diet (especially when young) is critical for their lifetime health.

A good pellet is the basis of any diet for these high energy, large birds. I don't know what pellets are available where you live, but here is a list that Mizzely has put together;

Pellets for Parrots

Harrison's, Roudybush and LaFeber's are generally considered the three best. The reasons are - No sugar - no dyes - and inclusion of vitamin D3, A, E and other trace vitamins and minerals. A bird can live exclusively on any of these pellets for their life time, but that's too boring for them . If they will eat any of them - if not you will have to find another pellet as close as possible to one of these.

In addition to a good pellet - available to them 24 hrs per day - a vegetable chop should be fed once per day. The list is long for acceptable vegetables. Carrots, romaine lettuce, beets - there are many great recipes for chop on this forum. Monty may have a preference of how he likes them presented - finely chopped, large pieces, whole vegetable - you will find out what he prefers.

Nuts are good for macaws as long as it is a good nut. NEVER FEED PEANUTS TO MONTY. Peanuts are ful of saturated fats and very dangerous for aspergillosis and aflatoxins - both deadly. My Jasper just died from Aspergillosis two weeks ago (she didn't contract it through peanuts) . Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pine nuts are all good for them. Almonds are the best because they are high in calcium and the lowest in fat. Pine nuts are great for treats and training - small and quickly eaten.

Very little fruits. There is way too much sugar in fruits. Papaya, mango, apples, peaches - many are good, but papaya and mango are best. Give as treats or maybe a couple of times a week.

Keep in mind that macaws need a lot of protein (vegetable protein. not animal) and a higher amount of fat than most other parrots, but as much of the fats as possible should be unsaturated fats. I personally recommend Flax oil or Red Palm Oil as a lifetime supplement for your bird.

Ask any questions you have.

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
it sounds good.
you mantion that flax oil.
can i give boiled or shoked flax seeds

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
and
@MEENA JI I'm so glad you asked about Monty's diet. A macaw's diet (especially when young) is critical for their lifetime health.

A good pellet is the basis of any diet for these high energy, large birds. I don't know what pellets are available where you live, but here is a list that Mizzely has put together;

Pellets for Parrots

Harrison's, Roudybush and LaFeber's are generally considered the three best. The reasons are - No sugar - no dyes - and inclusion of vitamin D3, A, E and other trace vitamins and minerals. A bird can live exclusively on any of these pellets for their life time, but that's too boring for them . If they will eat any of them - if not you will have to find another pellet as close as possible to one of these.

In addition to a good pellet - available to them 24 hrs per day - a vegetable chop should be fed once per day. The list is long for acceptable vegetables. Carrots, romaine lettuce, beets - there are many great recipes for chop on this forum. Monty may have a preference of how he likes them presented - finely chopped, large pieces, whole vegetable - you will find out what he prefers.

Nuts are good for macaws as long as it is a good nut. NEVER FEED PEANUTS TO MONTY. Peanuts are ful of saturated fats and very dangerous for aspergillosis and aflatoxins - both deadly. My Jasper just died from Aspergillosis two weeks ago (she didn't contract it through peanuts) . Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pine nuts are all good for them. Almonds are the best because they are high in calcium and the lowest in fat. Pine nuts are great for treats and training - small and quickly eaten.

Very little fruits. There is way too much sugar in fruits. Papaya, mango, apples, peaches - many are good, but papaya and mango are best. Give as treats or maybe a couple of times a week.

Keep in mind that macaws need a lot of protein (vegetable protein. not animal) and a higher amount of fat than most other parrots, but as much of the fats as possible should be unsaturated fats. I personally recommend Flax oil or Red Palm Oil as a lifetime supplement for your bird.

Ask any questions you have.
can i give palm nuts

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Palm nuts are not the same as Red Palm oil. Palm nuts contain 100% saturated fats and no vitamins, while Red Palm Oil is only 50% saturated fats and has several vitamins and other beneficial items.

Flax seed should be fed either baked, boiled or ground. They have a very hard shell and may not be digested raw and whole.

Both are heart healthy and my vet's preference is flax oil.

About Red Palm Oil - SUNSHINE FACTOR – Here are the facts | Harrison's Bird Foods

Flax seeds provide these nutrients

One tablespoon of ground flax seeds contains the following (1):

• Calories: 37
  • Protein: 1.3 grams
  • Carbs: 2 grams
  • Fiber: 1.9 grams
  • Total fat: 3 grams
  • Saturated fat: 0.3 grams
  • Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 grams
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 2.0 grams
  • Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg
  • Vitamin B1: 8% of the RDI
  • Vitamin B6: 2% of the RDI
  • Folate: 2% of the RDI
  • Calcium: 2% of the RDI
  • Iron: 2% of the RDI
  • Magnesium: 7% of the RDI
  • Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
  • Potassium: 2% of the RDI
I forgot in my last post that beans are one of the foods highest in protein content ( I forget it because never would a bean pass Jasper's lips). Black beans, pinto beans, navy beans........

MEENA JI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rakesh meena
hello everyone
monty is now 5 month old, fit and fine.
i have some quarry
1- what is best age for weaning
2- how can i wean my baby
he is taking little little fruits
but he also take 2 time hand feed
please give suggestion

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
hello everyone
i have some quarry
please give suggestion
:hello: . Just out of curiosity which state are you in? I may see a bng at last. :yah: You give a bird feedings until he/she objects:) @Shezbug @Macawnutz

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
hello everyone
i have some quarry
please give suggestion
You update us without pictures? How dare you.

They have to be eating on their own to start weaning. Do you offer other foods? Does he have pellets available and has he tried them?
Tell me what he is eating in a day.