• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monthly costs for a new Parrotlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaming

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor
I'm about 5-minutes new to the forum, and I thought this would be a perfect forum to post a question I've had brewing for quite some time.

I've been preparing for getting a Parrotlet ever since I was about 12 years old, so it's been a gooood long while. I've looked up guides on what kinds of food they eat, how large a cage you're supposed to get, what kinds of toys to get, etc.

So here's my question. Soon i'll have about a grand saved to start buying the cage, initial toys, and various water-feeders and things. I wanted to make sure I know atleast how much I should have set aside once I finally buy my new Parrotlet [i'll probably try for one that's a couple weeks old] so that I know I can pay for the first 2-3 months worth of stuff. That way as I earn more money, I know how much I should have set aside per month at the very least.

Between food, new toys, possible health concerns, treats, and etc.--how much do you spend each month on a single Parrotlet? I'm not quite sure how much one of them eats each week, but I know about how much food costs out here where I live.

Any tips you think I might not know on raising a happy and healthy bird would be muchly appreciated!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'd set aside at least $500 towards vet bills. Preferably more like $1000 in case the bird needs major medical treatment. This money should be available at all times in case of an emergency.
For a parrotlet I would recomend a single flight cage like the HQ flight or if you really want to spoil them, you can get them a double flight cage. :p
Single flights are usually around $150-160 double flights are usually around $230.
I fed my parrotlets Dr.Harvey's parakeet seeds and Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill. And lots of organic veggies and sprouted seeds.
I would plan on spending around $25-40 a month on organic veggies and seeds.
Parrotlets LOVE toys. Plan on spending another $25 on toys and toy parts every month.
To start out, plan on spending about $75-100 on perches, dishes, and toys. Make sure you have lots of different varieties and sizes of perches so their feet are more comfortable.
I would recommend getting at least one rope perch, one platform perch, and a few wood/branch perches.
My parrotlet Harper LOVED baths. I had a lixit bath in her cage at all times so she could take a bath whenever she wanted.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Allison gave you a great estimate :) Don't be surprised how much costs will add up though!! Soon you'll find out... it's not just a cage with perches and toys and food bowls that's enough... you want a tree stand!! And at atom!! And swings, a climbing net, and bridges, and more. It can add up to a TON, and very quickly. I do really spoil my guys, but I definitely spend a few $100's a month.

Don't forget your new bird exam with a board certified avian vet! A full exam with all the tests can run you anywhere from $200 to $600.

I also strongly, strongly suggest a $1,000 emergency vet fund. I recently had an accident with my budgie and it cost more than that, all things considered.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Welcome! Good luck in getting everything set up for your P'let. Allison gave you a good idea on how much things cost. :)

Dreaming

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor
I'd set aside at least $500 towards vet bills. Preferably more like $1000 in case the bird needs major medical treatment. This money should be available at all times in case of an emergency.
Good idea! Even younger Parrotlets can have problems. I'll work on setting aside 800--I don't mind waiting a little longer to keep them healthy just in case. :3

For a parrotlet I would recomend a single flight cage like the HQ flight or if you really want to spoil them, you can get them a double flight cage. :p
Single flights are usually around $150-160 double flights are usually around $230.
I have some of these cages in mind--I know the standard size is like 25x18x18, but I wanted to go a little bit bigger. :3

Prevue Pet Multiple Parakeet Cage Flight - Presented by BirdsComfort.com

Flat Top Canary Bird Cage - Presented by BirdsComfort.com

Bird Cages Parakeets - Presented by BirdsComfort.com

I fed my parrotlets Dr.Harvey's parakeet seeds and Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill. And lots of organic veggies and sprouted seeds.
I would plan on spending around $25-40 a month on organic veggies and seeds.

Parrotlets LOVE toys. Plan on spending another $25 on toys and toy parts every month.
To start out, plan on spending about $75-100 on perches, dishes, and toys. Make sure you have lots of different varieties and sizes of perches so their feet are more comfortable.
I would recommend getting at least one rope perch, one platform perch, and a few wood/branch perches.

My parrotlet Harper LOVED baths. I had a lixit bath in her cage at all times so she could take a bath whenever she wanted.
Food--toys--perches oh my! Luckily we have a great Petsmart out here and some people swear by its natural chemical-free wood perches. Not too bad price-wise, I planned on getting 3-4 of 'em to start out with [most birds like to chew on 'em I guess.] Plenty of fun, colorful rope-toys and swings and the like were also suggested to me. Foodstuffs, i'll have to look up the brand you mentioned [A specialty foodstore around here probably carries them if the Petco or Petsmart don't. I can Pavillions and do veggies and sprouts myself without trying to buy 'em from somewhere special. Any suggestions on treats and the like?

Muchly appreciated!

And thanks for the good lucks, I knew it would cost quite a bit especially to start out--but I won't let that stop me! c: I think i'll go 1,000 for the fund then. What's an Atom? I'll have to look it up. And wow, a tree stand...I don't live on my own yet, so I miiight have to wait on that one.

Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Personally, I consider these cages on the very small side for parrotlets. The first one is better than the other 3, but you really want to go BIGGER :) Parrotlets are VERY active little birds, and one of the few small bird species prone to plucking, so you really want to give them lots of space and lots of room for toys to keep them busy.

Dreaming

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor

Personally, I consider these cages on the very small side for parrotlets. The first one is better than the other 3, but you really want to go BIGGER :) Parrotlets are VERY active little birds, and one of the few small bird species prone to plucking, so you really want to give them lots of space and lots of room for toys to keep them busy.
Good idea! I will have a bit of extra money for a bigger cage--about how big might you go? I was trying for 30x20x20ish but the others looked cute [or were crazy cheap].

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I love the cage Coco posted. I had several throughout the years. I ended up switching here and there, but id always recommend that cage to anyone. I think it would be perfect for a plet. PLENTY of room. I housed 5 tiels in there at one point comfortably.

Dreaming

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor

MBS

Jogging around the block
I love the Marvelous XL Chateau, and I'll be getting it for all of our birds once we move. Somebody here with parrotlets has this cage, and she really likes it for her parrotlets. I think she has 2 parrotlets. I'll say that the cage is so easy to clean because nothing seems to stick to the powder coating. It's very quick to assemble. It's very sturdy, and it looks nice. I only have it for my green cheek right now. We have one male parrotlet.

I got the cage at Petco.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
If space is an issue, I would recommend a cage with a flat top, because then you can put toys, and a wicker basket (which makes a great CHEAP playgym), on top for a little play area, without taking up any extra floor space. I have all sorts of stuff on top of my plets cages and they LOVE to come out and play up there. Just a thought....

Last edited:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Definitely the HQ flight cage...it is what I have for my parrotlet and she has plenty of room to fly. Parrotlets are active and need a lot of room and many toys to play with. They are so full of energy.

I think a reserve for vet bills is very important. My little Kiwi had egg issues and prolapse as well as cancer. her vet care was in the thousands, so you need to be prepared.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to Avian Avenue Taylor.:hug8:
I agree with go big on the cage. Parrotlets love lots of toys, and toys that move and do things. This was my parrotlet Jenjii's cage.{may he RIP:(}

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Wow! Okay! Go big. xD Got it. Not a horrible price at all--just gotta see where I have room for something that size. Maybe I'll scooch my desk over a bit. :3 Thanks for the link!
Just wanted to share this with you -- All cages over $50 on Birds Comfort are 7% off for February if you use this code!!

Save 7%

on orders over $50*
until 02/28/2011.
Use coupon code: february7

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yes anything smaller then a flight cage is really too small IMO.
The mixes I feed Gwen are the Volkman Parrotlet mix, Goldenfeast Petite hookbill and Goldenfeast Tropic bits and pieces. Which you can order all those online. Which there are several vendors here on AA who sell them.

Dreaming

Moving in
Real Name
Taylor
That flight cage Coco posted is the one I mentioned in my post.
This is the double flight cage I mentioned.
16421 HQ Double Flight Cage 64x21 - Presented by Presented by My Bird Cage
Wow--so, question. If it's a DOUBLE flight cage--can I only put a bird in one half at a time? Or is there no barrier inbetween? Wouldn't want to get a great cage and only be able to use half at a time. c: Right. Read what it includes first--that's REALLY big though. 62"x64"x21"...I had no idea they used THAT much space. xD

If space is an issue, I would recommend a cage with a flat top, because then you can put toys, and a wicker basket (which makes a great CHEAP playgym), on top for a little play area, without taking up any extra floor space. I have all sorts of stuff on top of my plets cages and they LOVE to come out and play up there. Just a thought....
Not a bad idea. We have some fun wicker baskets around the house--I'm sure I could borrow one. Should I cover the bottom in a cloth? I would be worried that any little edges that poke out could hurt something. ><

Just wanted to share this with you -- All cages over $50 on Birds Comfort are 7% off for February if you use this code!!

Save 7%

on orders over $50*
until 02/28/2011.
Use coupon code: february7
COUPON. -grabby hands- Let me see if I can get some stuff together and make a space in my room for a cage this size--7% can be a lot! Thanks for the thought! : D

Yes anything smaller then a flight cage is really too small IMO.
The mixes I feed Gwen are the Volkman Parrotlet mix, Goldenfeast Petite hookbill and Goldenfeast Tropic bits and pieces. Which you can order all those online. Which there are several vendors here on AA who sell them.
As long as shipping isn't too expensive, i'll definitely look these brands up again--I always wondered if feeding a parrotlet a hookbill type of mix was okay.

Thanks so much for the welcome everybody! Such colorful cages--I hope I can spoil my little bird when I get them. So many things I hadn't even considered. : 3 Glad I found this forum!

Last edited:

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That's the same as the one I posted Judi. The difference between it and the HQ, is it is lower to the ground, {smaller stand} and it has feeder doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.