• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mom does not lay eggs

Evey

Strolling the yard
My budgiez (Bonnid and Clyde) had 4 babies a year and 1/2 ago. I gave 3 of them to z friend. Only 1 child budgie remains with Bonnie and C!yde. Mom and Dad REALLY like each other and fool around constantly. But Bonnie does not lay any eggs. We are wondering if it has something to do with their 1 baby budgie living in the cage with them???? What do you think?

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think so, because in animal world, parents do not bother about their kids after a certain age. I've seen budgie parents kicking out their babies from nest when the next clutch is about to come.

Budgie_guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Simone
I agree. I bred two budgies one time years ago and I remember that the female was showing interest in the nest again when the youngest chick was still inside! :eek:
As soon as that chick was old enough to be outside I removed the nest.
So I doubt that an adult "child" could be the cause.
Is there anything else different from when you bred them?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's their diet?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I would be very happy that Mom is not a laying machine. Good. It's certainly more healthy for her to not be. A youngster still residing with your breeding pair means nothing. When she is ready she'll be ready. If she isn't then she isn't.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Having babies may really have taken it out of mom. She may just be resting and recuperating.

Do you want them having more babies? Isn’t it hard to find good homes?

Evey

Strolling the yard
Having babies may really have taken it out of mom. She may just be resting and recuperating.

Do you want them having more babies? Isn’t it hard to find good homes?
No, it is not hard to find a good home

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
I would be very happy that Mom is not a laying machine. Good. It's certainly more healthy for her to not be. A youngster still residing with your breeding pair means nothing. When she is ready she'll be ready. If she isn't then she isn't.

Amen to this. Be grateful she's not laying.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m sure happy my Mom doesn’t lay eggs. I have enough siblings and that would be a big egg.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We are wondering if it has something to do with their 1 baby budgie living in the cage with them???? What do you think?
I don't think so. But the easy way to find out is to move the baby to their own cage... Though with budgies being so social, I wonder if the little one would get lonely alone in a cage...

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Does she have any calcium in her diet? Calcium is good for eggshell production.