• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting or early-stage plucking?

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
First of all, I know my maroon bellied conure is definitely molting right now. I have been seeing small feathers everywhere. I've mainly been noticing it on his head when I pet him, because small feathers will come off when i rub them and I can feel all the pin feathers coming in. He's also been a bit irritable off and on.

What I'm not sure about is if this little patch of exposed down feathers on his chest could be related to molting or not. This patch just appeared over the past 2 days, as far as I can tell. He does also have some uneven or sparse/rough looking spots on his head too (which he wouldn't have been able to pluck), but they aren't quite as large. I also noticed that when he's more stretched out there are some sparse looking spots on each side of his lower chest, near his legs. Here's a pic that he wouldn't sit still for, but his chest is visible:

20221113_152642.jpg

I know birds usually start plucking on their chest area, and I've been worried about how my inconsistent schedule might affect him. Half the time I'm able to stay home and have him out for most of the day; the other half I work 12 hr shifts and only have 2-3 hrs to spend with him. The last few days i've been on my first night shifts at this job, so i've been home during the day, but mostly sleeping. The first day of this he was much more vocal than usual, trying to get me to wake up and let him out! If I'm home during the day he's used to me letting him out. Note, however, that I've had him for less than 2 months, so it's not like there was any long-standing schedule to be disrupted. And, even on my working days, he gets more attention than he did before I had him. Another note is that this is likely his first molt, as I believe he is under a year old.

Anyway, has anyone seen patches like this associated with regular molting before, or should I be worried that he's getting stressed?

PS: Yes, I'm going to see a vet. He's having his first 'well bird' appointment soon, so I'll be able to discuss any of my concerns with them. But in the mean time I'd just like some input and to hear about any similar experiences anyone may have had with their birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My macaw gets the odd little patch like that on his chest belly area when molting (he is a mess right now lol). Definitely keep an eye on it but I am willing to bet it is normal molting.