• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molly Update! Good news and stories!

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Molly Blu Wobbles is doing amazingly well. Her beak injury has healed up with no infection, she is an incredible little bird for the moment. I’ve been trying to find information on other pet turkeys but haven’t had much success.

Would you all like me to share a few things about her? And my relationship with-hand rearing a baby turkey?

Today she had to get a little wash for her feet. Plain warm water, no chemicals. She was very very displeased with this despite her strange as heck daddy taking baths.

At this point in my life I am convinced everyone needs a pet turkey. If they weren’t so fragile, yikes !

She is one of the cuddliest birds I have including my Bat.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh! I responded to the old post only to see this.

Yay! What fantastic news
:happydance:

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Molly Blu Wobbles is very human imprinted. She’s also growing like a weed! She has successfully moved to a play method that involves rolling around like a dog, hopping on my hand and ‘killing’ it (this is a behavior that will have to be addressed), and stealing scraps from human plates, bird bowls, and even my dogs. I think she needs a toy or two….

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My hens like this toy. Maybe Molly Blu Wobbles will also enjoy it :)
Screenshot_20220922-064246.png

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Molly Blu Wobbles stole my dog toys and now comes when called…. My dogs are very much aware of her thefts so we’re having to consider an outdoor pen sooner than I like. Preferably she’ll have some good sunshine times before winter hits.
Also, should I offer her a dust bath? Molly trolled the pups by rolling in their kibble.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Should I get a band for Molly?

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Molly Blu Updates!

Molly got a piece of birdie bread. I’ve created a monster as she steals any bits she can get away with.

She’s learned a tap snuggle routine. I’ll try and get a video one of these days.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Omg! Such cuddly little things gangly teenage turkeys. Molly is about 4-6 weeks old. Fully flighted which is hilarious when you consider she is still an indoor bird for another 6 weeks at least. Also, she steps up on command after watching a single interaction with me and another bird. Very jealous girl, so something to watch for. Molly has a ‘call’ for me when I go out of sight. And the relief chuffs I get when I come back….

Did you all know these birds love to be hugged? Like a puppy. But be careful with your eyes. They do try and get to them though it’s something I see baby turkeys doing with mothers.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Should I get a band for Molly?
You could, it may help with ID if she ever wanders. However please note that you must get a poultry band. These bands don't fully seal and can expand or be replaced. The legs of poultry can change as they age, they usually thicken a bit as they age. This is why you need a band that doesn't inhibit these natural changes. :)