• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Mojo's toe bitten by Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I heard screaming a bit ago and ran into the room to find Mojo (Eclectus) on top of Jamie's(Jardine's) cage His toe is bleeding. It looks like right at the base of the nail.

I have packed it with Cayenne. The bleeding seems stopped at the moment, but he does not want to put pressure on it.

What else should I do for him?

Jon is taking Eko to the vet tomorrow so Mojo will go if needed too.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Make sure he doesn't pick at it, at all.
Possibly set him up in a smaller cage, so that you can keep an eye on him?
Do you have any of that Soothx cream? it would be perfect for the toe. It takes away the pain and heals it.
Newman's toe got way worse because he picked at it and it turned into a huge ordeal.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
The Cayenne should stop the bleeding but keep an eye on it and put more on if it starts again (appling pressure for about 1 min. once it is packed on will help also)
I would put him in a fish tank with towel bedding covered by paper towels..I also roll up a hand towel for them to use as a soft perch...this will keep him from climbing on the bars and re opening it....I would keep him in the tank for at least 48 hours with food/water....being that it is so hot now I don't think a heating pad is necessarry but watch him and if fluffed for any time, add the heat...you want to keep him quite and hydrated....he will be in shock for a time...if you have Pedilite cut 50/50 with water for the next 24 hours....what all of this does is let him relax and heal...:hug8:
I have never had a bird get an infected toe but it does take a little time for them to apply pressure to that foot!:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Debbie it may be worth it to have the vet take a look at it to make sure there wasn't serious damage done, you don't want Mojo to continue picking at it and possibly making it worse.

Luck!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Poor Mojo.......How is he doing????

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I am watching it to see if it is bleeding again. He is still not putting pressure on it, but will use it to step up. (quickly takes the pressure off as soon as he can.)

He is subdued. But he did eat dinner.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Maybe the vet can give you a bit of metacam for him when you go tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.