• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mojo Molt

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Howard is about 2.5 years old. He has been molting since the late spring. He has some bare patches under his wings and his feathers look thin over his head. He just lost another tail feather tonight. How long does this go on?

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
Remy has been the same way since middle of summer. His head is grown in, and I'm still waiting for his flights to come in. I thought they grew in first. He grew his tail feathers in first, and I was so excited, but he's already barbered them to suit his taste:(. He's still beautiful, though!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
that may be a long time for a molt there could be something wrong in his diet

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Many ekkies become sensitive to protein (beans,nuts, etc), animal protein (eggs, chicken), vitamins in pellets, spirulina in pellets and prepared foods, added vitamins, sugars, preservatives.

Regular soaking baths or showers are a necessity. Dry, itchy skin can cause scratching and over preening. The fine ekkie hairs on the head and chest can be ripped out by too exuberant scratching.

If you blow dry Howard do not over dry but allow him to air dry if possible. Also use dryer on cool or lowest setting and do not hold the dryer too close to his feathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.