• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Moist belly after centesis

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I know a few other AA members have had birds that required centesis - have any of you noticed moist bellies afterwards? If so, what did your vet say? How long did it last? Did it require any additional care or visits?

I got home from a centesis for my Tweety chicken this morning - and as it is, wrangling a ride was difficult enough - and she was fine after the appointment and on the 20 minute drive home. Sometime around an hour after that, I went to check on her and her belly was all wet! I thought maybe she'd walked through the fountain (since the water is low right now) and just gotten her belly wet. Now about an hour later, her belly is still wet, just saturated. I held her and wiped some away with toilet paper and it had a slightly coloured tinge, but was mostly clear.

I called the vet and she said it's likely from the puncture (where the fluid was building up) and should heal up and dry on its own, that it's not an emergency..

Tweety is always a bit tired after vet appointments, so it's hard for me to gauge whether she's sleepy right now because a) it's naptime for the birds, b) the vet visit was tiring, or c) she's in distress. She ate some broccoli leaf in the car, and a few sprouts while at home. She was excited to go spin her foraging wheel and get some food out, she's preened my fingers and cuddled up in my hands, and she's pooped a bunch of times since leaving the vet.

I'm very anxious about leaving home today. I have a class that I cannot miss so I could be gone for upwards of 4 or 5 hours. Between an emergency cat visit yesterday (for what was actually not a big deal, but I skipped another class for that) and another cat visit this Saturday, my ropes are running tight and I'm just a ball of nerves. What say you, AAers?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never dealt with this medical condition before, but above all else, trust your gut feeling. You know your Tweety best.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's no one you trust enough who could sit with her on short notice, right?

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
:hug8:

Unfortunately I live with my boyfriend who worked until shortly before I got home from class, and none of my friends live nearby (and even more sadly, I have zero physical friends with ANY bird knowledge) - but in case anyone else on the internet ever wonders about this and stumbles upon this thread, Tweety is now fine. Her feathers are all dry - they stayed damp for about two hours, presumably with the leakage from the fluid that's usually withdrawn. I was gone for about 4.5 hours. She's currently eating away and hopping around her cage, still vocalizing. It appears the puncture has since closed up/healed on its own like the vet said.

The owner of the clinic always advises me of risks, but he really only spoke in depth of puncturing an organ or draining a bit of blood if they don't hit the exact spot since they go in blind so seeing her all sopping wet like that really horrified me! Perhaps I'll ask the typical duration the next time she goes in. I've never seen the size of the needle, but I'm assuming it's pretty small, and it would still be nice to know what to expect if something like that happens again. I felt so torn leaving the apartment but I'm glad I came home to a lively and dry little chicken! :dance5:

What an exhausting week. :faint:

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thank goodness she is okay! How scary! :sadhug2: