• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mobrella

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I understand the honeymoon phase, you are correct it is real. lol I also learned about the pulmonary hypersensitivity in macaws here on AA. I keep my Macaws and my Goffin separate, as I will with any cockatoo I get.
Now for the strange news. I went to look at the bird the people were re-homing, and as it turned out, they sold someone else the bird last night. They said nothing to me knowing I was making a 3 hour drive. I believe they may have traded the bird for drugs going by the atmosphere in the house. I was heart sick, but then heard the sound of other birds in another room of their house. Thinking they had just changed their minds and had put the bird in another room, I asked about it. They told me they indeed had another bird for sale, but that the bird couldn't be handled at all and it was only 9 months old. They said this bird just refused to be tamed. I asked if I could see it and they led me into the garage off their kitchen. What I saw shocked me to the core. It wasn't one bird but two. It was an Timneh African Grey, and a Major Mitchell's cockatoo in 2 very tiny cages in a dark damp garage. The cockatoo was indeed skittish and wouldn't step up (could you blame it?), but it didn't bite or show signs of any aggression. Long story short, I bought both birds. They took the money I offered. My guess on drugs was probably right, because as expensive as these birds are, all they wanted was enough for what I guessed was their next high. It was one of the saddest things I ever saw. However I have 2 new members of my flock in quarantine tonight. The little grey seems to be so happy to be at my home. The cockatoo is skittish but seems to like the TV, and is settling in. He will be a work in progress. Thank you all for the advice. I love learning here from those who have so much knowledge. Any thoughts or advice on these two is appreciated. Will be getting them vetted asap. Will post pictures when I can get some. Thank you all.
Where are you located? There was a bunch of birds stolen from a Pet store in CT. Just an odd way to come across 2 birds esp a Major Mitchells.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Well you described me to a "T" .
I've scaled back considerably this last decade ,as they have gone to rainbow bridge. It's just me home alone with my animals also. At one time I had 9 dogs, 8 afghan hounds, and a boxer, plus a rose breasted cockatoo, a moluccan cockatoo, 2male canaries, my koi pond . giant soft-shelled aquatic turtle , red eared slider turtle.

I've always had large breeds , Dobermans, boxers, and my beloved Afghans. But it's just too much for me now, especially when they get older and having to lift them . My current critters, are Jicky, a rather jumbo sized Yorkshire Terrier , Ming Ming, a Imperial ShihTzu , and Fudge also a Imperial Shih Tzu . A pair of Major Mitchells Cockatoos, a pair of Australian Grass Parakeets, The koi pond , and the turtles,. I would love to have a huge custom built flight.

@Nikomania has a beautiful custom outdoor aviary/flight .

Yes they are, I am very much a hermit, I worry about who will take care of my animals if something happens to me. That's one of the reasons I joined this forum, if I can no longer take care of my birds. I want them to be safe and taken care of . When the time comes I want them to go to a responsible experienced home. This is one thing that I worry about every day. I made a commitment, and promise to them that they will be safe and loved.
Yep. Member of the Hermit Club here too. I joined AA so I could have people to talk to with the same interests in birds. I used to call my friends all the time but that was when I painted. Working with beads and jewelry parts I need both hands. They probably think I've fallen off the face of the earth but the phone works both ways so they could call me too. I'm quite content to stay home all the time. I worry most about Henry and Lola should they have to go to a new home. I have plenty of days I say to myself.."I'm getting too old to keep up with this routine any more". It's not so much the age as it's the chronic pain in my leg and the hours I spend doing what I do standing. My back is wearing too, even just washing dishes. So I pop more advil and keep on .. keeping on.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
It's not so much the age as it's the chronic pain in my leg and the hours I spend doing what I do standing. My back is wearing too, even just washing dishes. So I pop more advil and keep on .. keeping on.
The standing is the killer, my legs get a tingle numb type of pain, neuropathy . All my working life were job/careers standing. Taking its toll on me . I'm ok if i keep moving . Its the standing in one spot for too long. Standing in the kitchen, is a drag . Thats the worst time that i get the numb ache tingling pain, in my upper legs on the outer thigh area. Just below the hips.

Last edited:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Where are you located? There was a bunch of birds stolen from a Pet store in CT. Just an odd way to come across 2 birds esp a Major Mitchells.
I am in East Tx. We had some birds stolen from stores in Houston back a few months ago, but I called them, just to make sure. Wasn't the species they had stolen. I darn sure don't want to get caught with stolen exotics. Texas takes these things quite seriously.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yep. Member of the Hermit Club here too. I joined AA so I could have people to talk to with the same interests in birds. I used to call my friends all the time but that was when I painted. Working with beads and jewelry parts I need both hands. They probably think I've fallen off the face of the earth but the phone works both ways so they could call me too. I'm quite content to stay home all the time. I worry most about Henry and Lola should they have to go to a new home. I have plenty of days I say to myself.."I'm getting too old to keep up with this routine any more". It's not so much the age as it's the chronic pain in my leg and the hours I spend doing what I do standing. My back is wearing too, even just washing dishes. So I pop more advil and keep on .. keeping on.
The standing is the killer, my legs get a tingle numb type of pain, neuropathy . All my working life were job/careers standing. Taking its toll on me . I'm ok if i keep moving . Its the standing in one spot for too long. Standing in the kitchen, is a drag . Thats the worst time that i get the numb ache tingling pain, in my upper legs on the outer thigh area. Just below the hips.
I am much the same with chronic pain. Moving mobile homes and lifting thousands of pounds of cement blocks all day has ruined my back, but I keep going. I am going to be 56 in May, and I plan on keeping my babies as long as I can. They are the reason I get up some days. They keep me busy and active, and if I quit moving, I'll lose what I have. I do worry about what will happen down the line. I am trying to make plans for them, but I'm finding most sanctuaries want trust in order to take birds in, and we don't have that kind of money. We've always been one income and won't have much of a retirement. Truck drivers don't make that much. But as long as my mind and body holds out. I will love and take care of them and I will plan for there futures as best I can.

Now as far as Elvis the Mobrella, I brought him home today. We had a 6 hour round trip to get him. When we got him home, he came to the edge of his cage and let me scratch his head. Then he looked at me and said in the smallest voice ever, "pretty bird" - My heart melted. He has shown no aggression at all, but does seem to crave any form of affection. He will get all the love I have to give him here.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@faislaq the suggestion of treating to get into the cage works like a charm! You gave me that suggestion almost a year ago and works every time! Except Fred now gets into his cage the same time every night and waits for his treat! I tell everyone in my family you HAVE TO do that, it is now why he gets in his cage! Lol
Except for last night. I don't think Fred wanted to get back in his cage and flew away from us, ended up in all rooms of the house. I was afraid he was going to hurt himself so I waited for him to get tired then I just picked him up. He bit me all the way to his cage while I was kissing the top of his feathered head, he never bites me, so he didn't even leave marks. I just think he wasn't ready to go back in for some reason.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Seems rather sketchy about the origin of these birds. Major Mitchells Cockatoos are in the $ 2,500 to $ 3,500 range, . These birds may be stolen , seems rather bizarre that drug users would spend that kind of money on exotics.
With that being said, whatever was their past is now behind them . Their future will be good going forward in your care.
I would say those birds are very likely stolen. It's a shame it couldn't be found out from where. But then I believe you would lose your money. That stinks.