• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Missing toenails?

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
my bird is missing three toenails on his left foot, it does not seem to cause problems for him. but i was wondering if this was from an aggressive bird who shared a cage with him? i have heard that aggressive birds tend to attack feet. is this true? (he has had 1 home before me. i am not sure what kind of house it was. or if there were other birds there, I'm just kind of making guesses)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies are not known for being aggressive birds. If you bought from a breeder I am sure you would get an answer from that person. If I remember you got your bird from a pet store. Did you notice this before you bough? At least you don't have to worry about cutting nails. The toes nails are used for climbing which Linnies do lots of. They hold on to perches with them also. You might want to get some platform perches to make life easier for him. My Linnies loved the platform perches.

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@Lady Jane Thanks for the suggestion! he's still pretty good at climbing/perching. I'm sure i can contact the breeder (the pet store gave me their name) i noticed before i bought it, i asked about it and the pet store said they weren't sure (they thought it had something to do with the previous owner, who had returned the bird after about one month, along with the cage they kept it in and all the perches and toys)