• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milton and friends are adoptable

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I really hope these guys find their forever homes soon. I feel like the main reason Milton is still waiting is because PEARL only adopts to people who live in their area, so there is probably a very small pool of potential adopters. I had looked into applying to adopt the tiels when you had first posted it, but quickly realized I would not be considered since I do not live anywhere near Pittsburgh. They all sound like such wonderful birds, and I really hope they find their homes soon. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for letting us know, Michelle! I am sorry to hear about Flakes passing away, but unfortunately, like us, they do not live forever no matter how much we want them to. You have truly done so much for Bob's birds when Bob was still alive, and continue to do so even now that he has passed. You are an incredible human being!
Thank you so much.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I really hope these guys find their forever homes soon. I feel like the main reason Milton is still waiting is because PEARL only adopts to people who live in their area, so there is probably a very small pool of potential adopters. I had looked into applying to adopt the tiels when you had first posted it, but quickly realized I would not be considered since I do not live anywhere near Pittsburgh. They all sound like such wonderful birds, and I really hope they find their homes soon. :hug8:
Awww, I wish you were closer. I would have loved to see the tiels go to you. Yes, I wish we could adopt out to a greater area but logistically it's too hard. We require in person final home visits. During Covid, the rescue had stopped doing them for obvious reasons and honestly, that didn't work out so well. Everything that's done is to protect the birds and there are sound reasons behind all the adoption process decisions. Additionally, the rescue believes on being very hands on and accessible to all adopters. We don't want a person to adopt a bird and fail. So, if that person is having problems with a bird, we're going to send someone out to help them. And last, in the event that person for whatever reason can no longer keep the adopted bird, the rescue is going to take the bird back. This happens for a number of reasons- death, illness, etc. So, logistically, the volunteers just can't be driving really far distances. Thus, the reason for the 100 mile radius geographic area. And as someone who routinely is driving to pick up birds, drop off birds, etc even that 100 miles seems far at times. You could always move to Pittsburgh. ;):)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am having a tough day today for multiple reasons and you just brought tears to my eyes. LOL. Thank you for your kind words, truly.
There was a quote on my printer for years, basically "we are harder on ourselves than we have any right to be"

You are a phenomenal human being that loves the feathered dudes and it shows. Work stress with daily stress can truly overwhelm the soul. Take a deep breath and step outside and take a short walk. It does help. Blessings kiddo.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Awww, I wish you were closer. I would have loved to see the tiels go to you. Yes, I wish we could adopt out to a greater area but logistically it's too hard. We require in person final home visits. During Covid, the rescue had stopped doing them for obvious reasons and honestly, that didn't work out so well. Everything that's done is to protect the birds and there are sound reasons behind all the adoption process decisions. Additionally, the rescue believes on being very hands on and accessible to all adopters. We don't want a person to adopt a bird and fail. So, if that person is having problems with a bird, we're going to send someone out to help them. And last, in the event that person for whatever reason can no longer keep the adopted bird, the rescue is going to take the bird back. This happens for a number of reasons- death, illness, etc. So, logistically, the volunteers just can't be driving really far distances. Thus, the reason for the 100 mile radius geographic area. And as someone who routinely is driving to pick up birds, drop off birds, etc even that 100 miles seems far at times. You could always move to Pittsburgh. ;):)
Oh yes I totally understand the reasoning for it!! Honestly I have been looking into moving to the Pittsburgh area for work related reasons sometime in the next few years, so who knows, it may happen eventually! If I ever do end up in the area, I will definitely be giving PEARL a call to volunteer and maybe even help foster birds in need.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There was a quote on my printer for years, basically "we are harder on ourselves than we have any right to be"

You are a phenomenal human being that loves the feathered dudes and it shows. Work stress with daily stress can truly overwhelm the soul. Take a deep breath and step outside and take a short walk. It does help. Blessings kiddo.
Good advice. And thank you. It means a lot.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh yes I totally understand the reasoning for it!! Honestly I have been looking into moving to the Pittsburgh area for work related reasons sometime in the next few years, so who knows, it may happen eventually! If I ever do end up in the area, I will definitely be giving PEARL a call to volunteer and maybe even help foster birds in need.
That would be great!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I've just noticed this thread as I am considering adopting another bird. I'm kind of close to Pittsburgh (how close do you have to be?). Not that I think I would be right for Milton (though I wish I was). I was thinking of the tiels. I'm just worried that TD would be extremely jealous. What do you think?

And, @sunnysmom , how could you ever doubt that what you have done/are doing for Bob's birds isn't the most wonderful gift a person can give another? To love their family members like you love your own? I wish I had a person in my life, besides George, who I knew felt that way about mine.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've just noticed this thread as I am considering adopting another bird. I'm kind of close to Pittsburgh (how close do you have to be?). Not that I think I would be right for Milton (though I wish I was). I was thinking of the tiels. I'm just worried that TD would be extremely jealous. What do you think?

And, @sunnysmom , how could you ever doubt that what you have done/are doing for Bob's birds isn't the most wonderful gift a person can give another? To love their family members like you love your own? I wish I had a person in my life, besides George, who I knew felt that way about mine.
I will pm you. And thank you. I wish I had the ability to keep them all, truly. They are all wonderful birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@sunnysmom Any updates on the gang? Have they found homes yet? I was wondering about Milton and how he's doing, I hope he's well!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Omg! I'm sorry I'm so late to this thread. But I agree with everyone. You are doing right by Milton. You're a god send for helping out. It's not easy to take on a Too. I know Bob appreciate what you've done!

:hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Omg! I'm sorry I'm so late to this thread. But I agree with everyone. You are doing right by Milton. You're a god send for helping out. It's not easy to take on a Too. I know Bob appreciate what you've done!

:hug8:
Thank you. Milton is a really good cockatoo. If my life was different, I would have adopted him for sure. But I have a cockatoo already. And just not the time or space for two. Plus Milton really needed someone who was home most of the day.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom Any updates on the gang? Have they found homes yet? I was wondering about Milton and how he's doing, I hope he's well!
Milton has been adopted. :heart: (The tiels and budgie have not yet been adopted but are all doing well.) I was waiting to see if Milton's adopters were going to post something first before I said anything. They have been on the forum and have read Bob's stories and know about "Bob the Goalie". I am happy to say that Milton hit the jackpot with them. They're a very nice couple who can provide Milton with all the love, time and attention that he needs. I was really particular about who would adopt Milton. I knew in my heart the type of home/people he needed and although it took a while, we finally found them. I hope that they will join the forum and keep everyone updated. If not, I will ask if I can share his stories with you. They have been great about keeping me updated and have told me I am welcome to visit Milton, which I so appreciate. I want him to settle in more before I do but do plan on visiting him eventually. My boyfriend was in the hospital when Milton left and didn't get to say goodbye to him which he's sad about. So, he really wants to go and see Milton too. Having Milton leave was really hard and I definitely shed tears. However, Milton is now going to get to live his best life. I think Bob would be pleased.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's so wonderful to hear that he found the perfect home. I just know Bob is so thrilled and watching over him. Thank you @sunnysmom for loving him so much and making sure he went to the perfect home no matter how long it took.
You are truly an Angel on earth :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Such a wonderful update! I'm so glad you found him a wonderful home, Bob would be very pleased and grateful I'm sure!
It is nice that Bob shared so many stories here with us all, because now those who adopted Milton can come here and read all of those threads and learn more about his past.
Thankyou @sunnysmom ! :bliss:

And I hope your boyfriend is doing ok!

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Wow, @sunnysmom so happy for Milton. It sounds like being patient and finding the right home was the best thing you could have done. I hope Miton's new family can give us updates. And I hope your boyfriend is doing better.