• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Military Macaw seeks me out specifically to attack me

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Greetings,

Obligatory new member post. I've been reading these forums the past few weeks trying to find a solution to my issue with my boss' military macaw. I think our situation is quite unique, rather different from the experiences of 40+ pages of threads by other members. This might be pretty long so allow me to give a bit of context.

About 2.5 months ago, I started a new job at a hotel where the owner has several macaws. I'll list them here and describe them.

Apollo - 17~ year old Blue and Gold, he's super territorial of his mate as they are never apart. He's constantly displaying to me and lunges but it's apparently all for show as my boss, let's call him Sam, has explained to me. He doesn't bite (or hasn't yet), but he will display, lunge, shake his head and body, and stretch out his wings to try to scare me off as soon as I enter his line of sight.
Maya - 18~ year old Rubylina, she is Apollo's mate and she's been laying eggs the past 2 months or so. Sam has been taking the eggs out and incubating them to sell the babies as they are 3rd generation hybrids.
Petri - 6~ year old Ruby, she has been laying eggs recently as well, but none have been fertile. She is even tempered but she is the only one that has actually wounded me (it was my fault, I was unaware at the time of the body language and signals the birds give me that they're going to bite). It felt like slamming my finger in a car door... she took off my fingerprint.
Vinny - 28~ year old Greenwing, he is Petri's mate. He's the nicest of them all, he readily stepped up to me and steps up for customers at the hotel all the time, without incident. He is a month older than me! He's also not a very good mate. He didn't feed Petri while she was in the box, he's very submissive to her, she beats him up often, etc. We think the age difference has something to do with it.
Gunny - 11~ year old Military, this is the problem bird. We think she was abused previously. More on her next.
Leon - Unsure of his age, but he's a huge, beautiful Scarlet. We just got him about 2-3 weeks ago to try to give Gunny a partner. He was previously left to his thoughts in a cage that was too small, in the basement of his last home, along with his sister Bella who is being sold on July 19. Leon and Bella got along before coming here, and when Sam had to separate them because we don't have the room for 7 birds, Leon started lashing out at Bella when he would bring all the birds out to the front room.
Bella - Also unsure of her age, she is a sweet, petite girl. She sleeps in Sam's room along with the three babies he is hand-rearing from Apollo and Maya. Bella is being sold on July 19 to a one-bird woman in South Carolina, which sucks because she is so sweet.

None of these birds are caged, they have their own room with three big perch systems that are meant to look natural. The birds live 2 to a perch. Apollo and Maya, Vinny and Petri, and now Gunny and Leon. Gunny was living alone on her perch for several months after Sam sold another bird named Al Capone that was perched with Gunny. I'm not sure how their relationship was, but I don't believe they were mated from what Sam has told me. Al Capone was sold the week I arrived, so I didn't get to know him. The birds don't leave their perches, they don't like being on the ground. They are free-flighted but they don't fly around, fly to another perch, they are transported solely by step ups.

Except Gunny. She is a strange bird. Sam and I think she was abused by a previous owner or came straight from the jungle because she is wild. She is missing nails on three of her toes. I'm not entirely sure how that could happen, and we have no idea how it did happen. She likes to hang upside-down on her perch from one foot. She has such a big attitude, everyone is going to know who Gunny is whether they're here for 5 minutes or 5 days. She bonded with Sam immediately after he brought her home. He can kiss her on the beak and head, lift her up by her beak, wrestle with her; you name it, she will let Sam do it. This is not the case for me. If she is not on her perch in their room, she will attack me on sight. She still lunges at me and starts biting her perch if I enter her view. Her eyes pin like crazy, big and small, big and small, when she is looking at me she is pinning. She fluffs up the moment she sees me. This is what prompted me to start researching these birds and how to read their body language, how to stop this behavior,

From what I've read (these forums, the stickies, sex and the psittacine, etc) she thinks I'm an intruder. Sam brings the birds out to the front desk every day, except Apollo and Maya because they're brooding still. Gunny will not sit on a perch outside of their room. She will walk along the ground freely behind the desk. We can keep her contained by shutting and locking the swing gate between the lobby and the area behind the front desk, and then putting a coat or blanket down so she can't crawl under the gate. It's very difficult for me to even enter the lobby when Gunny is out because the moment she sees me, it's on. She will walk towards me slowly, quietly, unassuming, until she gets close enough to go for it. She spreads her wings and charges me and bites onto my shoes, and there is no shaking her off. Sam tries to intervene by putting a dowel between her beak and my shoes, but she doesn't let go until she feels like it. If I didn't wear the Jordan's that I wear, she would for sure have torn through my shoes because even with these thick sneakers, I can still feel her beak on my toes. The past few times she's bitten me, there was little reaction from me. I calmly grabbed a nearby cushion and put it between her and my shoes. She attacks the cushion instead for a few seconds until Sam gets her to back off. I have had to use a broom to fend her off as well (not maliciously, but I was sweeping and she came out of nowhere and charged me so I had to hold her back with the broom, I realize this is not ideal).

Sam has been letting me change out their food and water bowls more often and sweep their room so they can get as much time as possible with me in the room doing things that they hopefully appreciate. I talk to them all individually while I'm doing these things, even Gunny. She has no reaction to anything I say and is just waiting like a gargoyle for me to get close enough to lunge at. The only time she ignores me is if I'm sitting at the front desk with both my feet up in the chair so she can't reach. She has definitely tried, though. If she can't reach me, she starts tearing the wooden baseboard molding up, as if to say "This is what's in store for you, pal". Gunny has bitten Sam on my behalf a few times, as well. I know she's jealous of a new face being around her perceived mate, she thinks I'm intruding on her territory, I know biting is a self-perpetuating action, it just happens so fast that I don't usually have time to react before I feel the pinching on my shoes. I'm being more mindful to keep the cushion near me, and I wonder if I should start using a T-stick to fend her off instead?

This bird has been like this to me from Day 1, and while I was afraid of them at first due to not being a bird person, the research I've done and the happiness I get when taking care of them and seeing them just be their intelligent, silly selves is something I never thought I would feel from a bird. The others are still in the "apprehensive" stage, but are coming around. Leon lets me pet him and steps up, Vinny and Petri will step up, I won't even attempt it with Apollo, Maya, or Gunny. Especially Gunny. Just thinking about offering her my arm to step up hurts my bones.. not because I don't like her, because I really do, I want a relationship with this bird that hates me. I talk sweetly and softly to her every time I see her. I try to mimic some of the things Sam does in hopes that she will accept the gestures (like things that he says that gets a response out of her, she will just stare me down pinning when I say it).

I'm really just at a loss on how to get through to this bird. I'm not able to bond with her because she doesn't give me the chance, she just goes straight to attack mode the second I come around. I've read all the articles I could find, I've read so many anecdotes, but there aren't too many of macaws available, and I haven't found a single experience where the birds were uncaged. This is not my first experience with birds, but my first with large exotic birds. My only previous experience with birds was with my aunt's blue crown conure and his cockatiel buddy, and the conure definitely pushed the limits on what I was comfortable with around birds (read: absolutely none at all). I never thought I would be a bird person, but being here at the hotel and helping take care of the macaws, learning about their history and mannerisms and social structure, etc has been an amazing experience and definitely changed my view on birds completely.

Sorry for the long post, I know it's a lot. I hope this is in the right spot. Thanks for having me here at the Avenue. I'm looking forward to any and all responses and literature that I can further research for help.

-James, a fledgling bird boy

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
fledgling bird boy
Haha this is a good description! But, seriously, your situation is really difficult. But don't worry, we have many experienced macaw parents here. Definitely they'll provide some solution.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Haha this is a good description! But, seriously, your situation is really difficult. But don't worry, we have many experienced macaw parents here. Definitely they'll provide some solution.
I really appreciate it. If there's any more info I can provide, please someone let me know. Also, I'll try to add pictures of all of the birds and the setup in their room and the lobby at some point tonight.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Interesting story! I don't have any tips for correcting the behavior, but I can give you some tips on evading bites. I would consider trying large towel that you just carry around everywhere. Does she like showers? If she hates them, carry around a spray bottle. If they really hate showers they will not bother you if you show it to them. I pick my feet up into a chair, but be careful because she might climb into it.
Focus on Gunny when Sam is gone. She will see you as competition if he is giving her attention.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a lot to unpack. A couple of things come to mind. First off, you're new to their world. You are an intruder in their space. Macaws and parrots in general thrive on routine and you've disrupted it simply by being there. They have to get used to your presence in their environment. It may take months for them to settle into the new routine. Staying on a schedule with feeding and cleaning will help. They will come to expect you at certain times and eventually may welcome your presence.

Macaws can be tricksters. They will posture and threaten you just to get a reaction out of you. If one lunges and you jump back and scream in fright, they will keep doing it because it becomes a game to them. They are also very perceptive and if they feel you are afraid of them it can give them more motivation to keep scaring you. If you stand your ground and speak softly to them then the game isn't interesting anymore and they will stop. You could also praise them for it. My blue & gold used to spread her wings and lean forward as if to threaten me. I reply to her in a soft voice, "Yes, you're a big scary bird but I'm not afraid of you." Now it's become the way she greets me when I come home. I still tell her she's a big scary bird but then I tap her on the nose and laugh.

It sounds like she really hates you at the moment so you could just enter the room, clean, then leave. Make sure you acknowledge all of them and talk to them by name. Go about your business and then leave. Try to do the same things in the same order each day. This will establish the routine of your coming and going and what you're doing while you're there. If they can see what you're doing and understand that you aren't a threat they will settle in time. Some birds really hate brooms and if one of them may have been abused in the past, brooms can be an issue. If you feel the broom is an issue, try a smaller one, or maybe one of a different shape and color. It can make a difference.

I've found that Military macaws can be punks and tricksters sometimes. They will posture and threaten just because they can. We like to think of them as teenagers who are testing the boundaries to see what they can get away with. When you establish that boundary, they will push a little more just to see if you're serious, and they will keep doing it just to keep you on your toes. You will have to be a little more firm with her to let her know you aren't afraid and you will probably get bitten a few times in the process. If she thinks of your boss as her mate then it will be all that more difficult. You can work around this though. Ask him to be there when you interact with her. He should speak to her softly and tell her that you're ok and you won't hurt him or her. If he gives her treats, then he should start letting you give the treats instead. Use them as a reward for good behavior. If you ask her to step up and she does, then offer a treat. If she snaps at you when you do offer it, then take it away. She will quickly figure out that if she wants the treat she has to do what you want. Reinforce the positive and ignore the negative. You aren't being mean by taking the treat away, but you are rewarding the behavior you want. You might try something new that she's never had before. Make a big production of giving it to the other birds and eating one yourself. She will be very interested in this new thing that the other birds have been given but she hasn't. If she's rude about it, take it away. If she behaves herself, offer her a piece of it and make a big production of praising her for her good behavior. In case you haven't noticed, macaws are big on having their ego stroked.

We have a 20-year-old military macaw at work and he doesn't care for men. I've made it clear that I'm not afraid of him, so when I ask him to step up he lunges at me, and I keep doing it until he steps up. When I go to put him back on his tree if he steps off as I ask, I praise him. If he steps off and then turns and lunges at me, I make him step up again. We go through this until he steps up and steps off without lunging at me. Sometimes we go weeks without him lunging at me, then he gets a little full of himself and we go through the process all over again. He's testing boundaries and I'm reinforcing what I expect. I know he doesn't like men to scratch his head so I don't make any attempt to do that. I've established what I expect from him, and in return, I'm respecting his boundaries by not touching him anywhere else. We've gotten to the point where if he's on a customer and wants to get away from them, he will lift his leg and point it at me. It's his signal that he wants me to take him back. Now if one of the girls is there he will always lift his foot to one of them first because he prefers women, but if it's just me he knows I'm a safe option when he's uncomfortable.

You probably won't be able to form a bond with all of them, and it will take a lot of work for them to not feel threatened by your presence. Learning their body language will help you a lot. They are all macaws, but each one will be slightly different. What one displays may mean something different to another. It's worth the effort to make yourself part of their flock.

Let us know how things progress with them. It will be an interesting experience.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Interesting story! I don't have any tips for correcting the behavior, but I can give you some tips on evading bites. I would consider trying large towel that you just carry around everywhere. Does she like showers? If she hates them, carry around a spray bottle. If they really hate showers they will not bother you if you show it to them. I pick my feet up into a chair, but be careful because she might climb into it.
Focus on Gunny when Sam is gone. She will see you as competition if he is giving her attention.
Thanks for the reply. She does like showers and, unfortunately, she doesn't mind a towel being thrown on her; she will talk under the towel and walk around with it on her so I think she actually enjoys it lol. She hasn't climbed the chair yet, but directly behind me (when I'm at the front desk) is her "pen". I use quotes because it's really just a semicircle-shaped folding gate that she likes to climb up and down on, and sit on top of. I feel really bad about using a broom to hold her off. I don't use any force except that which is required to keep her from moving towards me, and she tends to fight the broom so that she ends up on her back with her feet in the air, still biting at the bristles. I hope that helps people visualize what I'm doing because I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression that I'm hurting her in any way. When I used the broom, that was the only time she "backed down" and left me alone afterwards and if I had to guess, it was because she was put into a vulnerable position. She had never been pratfell like that while confronting me before. Usually, she comes back for seconds and thirds until Sam intervenes.

I'm not able to get anywhere near her or I get bit, so it's difficult to try to give her treats directly or use other methods of positive reinforcement. It's tiring and I'm frustrated and I know she's frustrated that this intruder just won't leave her territory. I do make sure not to allow my frustration to show, in other words I don't raise my voice or flinch or otherwise freak out when she attacks me anymore. I'm thinking the times I did flinch or freak out and run away reinforced it, surely. She's just so aggressive towards me, there's not really any opportunity to be able to correct it on my end, at least that I can see.

Honestly, Apollo is aggressive towards me too, but with him I can see a very clear reason why he acts the way he does. Petri, Vinny, and Leon all have stepped up on me, Leon is the only one that has actually let me pet him and he's been here the least amount of time.

Sorry for the long replies. I hope my thoughts are coming across as intended.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for the reply. She does like showers and, unfortunately, she doesn't mind a towel being thrown on her; she will talk under the towel and walk around with it on her so I think she actually enjoys it lol. She hasn't climbed the chair yet, but directly behind me (when I'm at the front desk) is her "pen". I use quotes because it's really just a semicircle-shaped folding gate that she likes to climb up and down on, and sit on top of. I feel really bad about using a broom to hold her off. I don't use any force except that which is required to keep her from moving towards me, and she tends to fight the broom so that she ends up on her back with her feet in the air, still biting at the bristles. I hope that helps people visualize what I'm doing because I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression that I'm hurting her in any way. When I used the broom, that was the only time she "backed down" and left me alone afterwards and if I had to guess, it was because she was put into a vulnerable position. She had never been pratfell like that while confronting me before. Usually, she comes back for seconds and thirds until Sam intervenes.

I'm not able to get anywhere near her or I get bit, so it's difficult to try to give her treats directly or use other methods of positive reinforcement. It's tiring and I'm frustrated and I know she's frustrated that this intruder just won't leave her territory. I do make sure not to allow my frustration to show, in other words I don't raise my voice or flinch or otherwise freak out when she attacks me anymore. I'm thinking the times I did flinch or freak out and run away reinforced it, surely. She's just so aggressive towards me, there's not really any opportunity to be able to correct it on my end, at least that I can see.

Honestly, Apollo is aggressive towards me too, but with him I can see a very clear reason why he acts the way he does. Petri, Vinny, and Leon all have stepped up on me, Leon is the only one that has actually let me pet him and he's been here the least amount of time.

Sorry for the long replies. I hope my thoughts are coming across as intended.
Hm. If she enjoys a towel maybe you could turn that into a game. You could try dropping a treat in her bowl or near her. I think she knows she owns the place.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
My experience is with 1:1 interactions, in an environment with few distractions, where immediate compliance isn't required, so that's the perspective I'm coming from. I would expect an environment like yours with numerous birds, many distractions, and some requirements for compliance will complicate matters, so my primary instinct is to simply as much as possible to reduce the complexity.

I have a few questions about Gunny's relationship with Sam -- was it always so well established (i.e. Gunny "chose" Sam), if not what steps did Sam take to achieve that success (it could be fruitful for you to follow that same path, whatever it was), how much time they spend together (if it's "excessive" it could be contributing to an inappropriate pair-bond with Gunny, which amplifies aggression to "others").

I'd simplify things as much as you're able to, starting with not allowing Gunny in the lobby (I would only allow birds in the lobby that demonstrated they can be trusted there -- not just for your safety, but for guests -- speaking of which, how is Gunny with guests in the lobby?). I assume you're working in that setting, with many distractions, and if that's the case neither of you are setup for success. In order to establish a relationship, you'll need your full attention on Gunny, so I would limit your interactions with her to those moments.

When you're working with Gunny directly, I'm a firm believer in establishing that you're listening to the feedback you're being given. That means stop doing whatever you're doing that is causing aggression or fear responses. Find another approach that doesn't cause negative reactions. Gradually, over time, you'll find ways that work between you and Gunny, or as she becomes more trusting of you, she'll allow more. By taking this approach, you're simultaneously learning her unique Gunny-isms, and demonstrating to her that you're listening to, and that's a path to trust.

I'm also curious about their room and perches -- whether there's enrichment available to them, toys to destroy, how much room they have to allow flighted activity, etc. Based on the way my macaws abuse their toys, smashing them around, and tearing pieces off them, it's reasonable to expect that if they didn't have wood blocks to vent that energy that they might direct it toward something less suitable.

More later, but I'll also add that the attitude you're displaying in your thoughtful descriptions will serve you well -- it'll probably just take some time.

Last edited:

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
That's a lot to unpack.
I don't wanna quote the whole post, but thank you for this. There's a lot of good insight here. After tonight, I suspect she was abused with a broom before so I'm just going to use the broom for what it's intended for. My line of thinking was that it kept her from attacking me and redirected her anger to the broom, but then she started actively running away from it. It was easy to see that there was a deeper problem with the broom because that behavior is not typical of her.

I have a few questions about Gunny's relationship with Sam -- was it always so well established (i.e. Gunny "chose" Sam), if not what steps did Sam take to achieve that success (it could be fruitful for you to follow that same path, whatever it was), how much time they spend together (if it's "excessive" it could be contributing to an inappropriate pair-bond with Gunny, which amplifies aggression to "others").
Thank you for your response. Sam has only had Gunny since March and I got here in late April, and Gunny was already bonded to him. From what I understand, she chose him. She did have a perch partner, Al Capone, but he was sold very shortly after I started working here. Gunny was apparently disinterested in him, and seems to be disinterested in her new perch partner, Leon. Gunny is definitely his favorite, his baby, but I wouldn't say he gives her more or less attention than the other birds. He is pretty diligent about spending time with all the birds, he's able to handle all of them the way he handles Gunny. Well, except Leon. Leon hates Sam for splitting up him and his sister Bella. It may also be worth noting that sometimes Sam takes Gunny with him in the car, if I recall correctly it's because he doesn't want her to be alone in the perch room and he can't leave her here with me alone if he's not somewhere on the property.

speaking of which, how is Gunny with guests in the lobby?
This part is hard to type out because of how ridiculous it is. People call us the Parrot Motel. Sam took over the property in 2014 I believe, and when he got it, it was in varying levels of disrepair. He fixed up most of the rooms and gave the place a paint job. Every door is a different vibrant color, the outside brick is painted a bright color, the rooms have these cool multicolored geometric designs on the walls, there are two murals on the outside of the buildings, and two more murals in the lobby. The place looks like it was designed by a macaw. It's unique for sure. (I'm not sure if it would be against the rules to give, say, the google results for our hotel or Sam's website so people can see what I'm talking about, but if it is allowed and people wanna see, I'd be more than happy to show it off.) The birds are definitely a highlight, we're located in a college town off of I-75 in Kentucky and exotic birds aren't exactly common around these parts. Sam is a birdkeeper by hobby, he is by no means an expert (his words lol) and he's learning new things every day hand-rearing Maya and Apollo's babies. I wanted to give a little context, so bear with me.

My point for giving the history lesson is that the birds are a selling point; they even have a decent following of about 1000 people on Instagram. People come to see the birds in the lobby, or when they're outside people will congregate and gawk over them. Vinny is the only bird that is "friendly" to guests, the other birds don't particularly care for them but we make sure to let people know not to reach out for the birds or anything that might get them hurt. We have had incidents where guests have been bit because they didn't respect the birds space, even after our warnings. I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure of the legal legs we have to stand on when it comes to the birds and potentially injuring guests. Gunny is kept behind the counter because she attacks everyone who isn't Sam the way she attacks me. We have to keep a coat or blanket under the gate that leads to the lobby so she can't crawl under it. She is a roamer. For some reason, she prefers to walk around on the floor. She isn't clipped, she's "able" to fly, I believe, but she doesn't. She moves a lot faster than I expected a grounded bird to... She's allowed to roam wherever she wants behind the counter, which includes the hallway connecting the lobby to Sam's house. She's allowed to roam throughout his house. Sam's parents also live here and help manage the hotel, but they are pretty hands off with the birds. I have never seen them in the same room as any of the birds, so I'm not entirely sure how Gunny is with them. Gunny is able to just climb down from her perch and roam the house if she so pleases. This has led to a few surprise visits in the lobby.

Anyways, to directly answer your question, I make sure to tell every guest that the green bird will attack you and to stay away from her. I always tell them that she only likes Sam and attacks me every day, to drive the point home. I feel bad about it, but I'm trying to protect these random strangers from being hurt, because she absolutely will attack them if given the opportunity. That's the ridiculous part I mentioned, the fact that I have to tell people this bird will attack you, rather than try to train her to curb that behavior, is ridiculous to me. It feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen. That's a topic for another thread though, I suppose. I don't think the way we're currently handling the situation is proper or effective, and could potentially lead to personal and financial damage if things keep going the way they are. I feel like Sam is resistant to my newfound knowledge because, well, he's had birds for years and this is the first time I've been around them. (My aunt's birds I mentioned previously.. the extent of my interaction with them was petting the cockatiel and dodging the conure's beak). I always present the things I read about to him in a way that feels like I'm asking if what I've read sounds correct or not. For example, I had buffalo chicken pizza which came with onions on it, so I googled toxic foods for macaws and onions appeared on every list with varying results, but the consensus was that onions would cause the birds discomfort at the very least. I asked Sam what kind of foods the birds shouldn't eat, and he told me they can eat pretty much anything. The birds have a good, balanced diet, in my opinion. Sometimes he asks me to feed them pieces of pizza, but for the most part they get fresh chop consisting

I'm also curious about their room and perches -- whether there's enrichment available to them, toys to destroy, how much room they have to allow flighted activity, etc.
Their room isn't too big. It's a square room with one window in the corner and a small open closet opposite the window. The previous maintenance man built their perches; essentially, there's a wood frame made of 2x4's holding up several different good-sized natural wood branches off the ground. The perches are about chin/chest level on me, and I'm 5'9", if that helps you to visualize this. I can take pictures if you'd like. As for enrichment, I'm not sure exactly what constitutes that. Activities? Toys? If so, there are none. The lobby has a jungle gym-esque setup. There's lots of different branches going each different way, and there are swings hanging towards the bottom, but they never visit the swings unless they fall down and are climbing back up. They take bites off of their perches and the frame, and Gunny likes to chew on the wooden stairs leading from the lobby to the house. She sits at the top of the steps (there's only 4) and glares at me. If I move from my seat, she descends the stairs with surprising speed and attacks me. She WILL, however, tolerate me being behind the counter with her if my feet are up in the chair.

None of the birds fly, but only Leon and Bella are clipped from their previous owner (they've only been here for 2-3 weeks, I'll leave that story for another time unless y'all are interested). All of the birds except for Gunny prefer to stay on the perches. Maybe its because they don't really have anywhere to fly to? In their room, there's about 1.5x my width worth of space in between the perches. With them being face-level and in relatively tight quarters, it's actually pretty hard to clean the room effectively without being lunged at, etc. I'm realizing now that they may not have enough room. I came into this job not expecting to deal with the birds, but now I'm pretty heavily involved in their care. Mostly behind the scenes for now, as they're still getting used to me. I recently started emptying their bowls, refilling them, and placing them back in the holders. Apollo is usually the only one that sees me do this, though. I thought they just weren't interested in flying and were big ol' lazy birds, but consciously thinking about it makes me wonder if they just don't have a big enough space. They don't try to fly when they're outside, they don't fly from perch to perch (the one in the lobby is all connected to each other, the perches in the room really only have enough space for the two birds that are perched on them to be able to move around comfortably. They don't seem interested in exploring each other's perch. They don't seem interested in flying at all, but I know it's natural for them to fly several miles a day. I wonder if the lifestyle Sam has fostered, the birds' reliance on him for almost everything, has led them to be lazy or if they're anxious from not being able to do something that comes naturally to them.

The more I read about them, the more red flags I see pop up from Sam's methods. I don't want to turn this into a complaining about my boss post, but for the sake of the birds, I'm realizing that there is much room for improvement regarding their care and environment. Sam loves his birds, don't get me wrong, and the birds love him (except Leon lol). I am now worrying that the birds are not getting the proper care they need. Sam definitely puts forth huge effort in taking care of the birds, but he also does things like yell at Vinny for screeching, or pulling on Leon's tail for messing with Bella... I feel powerless to stop it. I'm at his whims because this job and hotel room is all I have keeping me from being homeless again. I don't have family or anyone else to fall back on, so if I say something that pisses him off, I'm not confident that he wouldn't just fire me on the spot for.. challenging him? Not sure the right words to put here.

These birds do not fly. They are carried from room to room, they don't leave the perch (but they do roam around on the perches, and the one in the lobby is pretty huge). Sam understandably is reluctant to listen to my concerns, me being super fresh with regards to caring for macaws. I make sure to ask a lot of questions and I'm certain it gets on his nerves sometimes, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible to ease the burden on him. The dude works 24/7. He sleeps 2 hours at a time because of the babies and it's been that way since mid-May. I'm not trying to justify his actions, because I don't think there's any justifying pulling on a bird's tail for any reason, but typing this all out has prompted all of this to dawn on me. Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated as well, but I understand if it's not suitable for this forum.

Find another approach that doesn't cause negative reactions.
This is going to be difficult for me as she has a negative reaction to literally everything about me. I will try to find some common ground, though; I'm definitely committed to getting this bird to at least tolerate me.

Hm. If she enjoys a towel maybe you could turn that into a game. You could try dropping a treat in her bowl or near her. I think she knows she owns the place.
Oh, she definitely knows she owns the place. She prefers to walk around on the floor, she patrols the lobby behind the counter and up and down the hallway. She sits at the top of the steps and gazes upon her kingdom. I haven't personally thrown a towel on her. It's dangerous to even try to drop a treat in her bowl. I can't get within a good 10 feet of Gunny before she charges me. Even seeing me walk up to the front door, while she's perched behind the counter, she fluffs up immediately and her eyes pin like mad, the mere sight of me is enough for her to instantly aggress. This crazy bird has heard me walk in the front door, climbed down from her perch in their room, walked down the hallway all sneaky-like, down the steps, and charged me. She literally hunted me down, lol. I'm hoping that she's able to eventually tolerate me, or at least stop the attacks.

Before I was comfortable with the birds and started researching them, I was definitely scared of them since I had rarely been around birds in general, let alone these giant flying dinosaurs. The other birds don't seem to have a problem with me, except for Apollo, but even he has started to realize that I'm there to feed him and clean up his mess and will (reluctantly) back up when I'm emptying their bowls. He just doesn't want me (or anyone, for that matter) near Maya. It's super adorable the way he cares about his mate. With Gunny, it feels like I can't do anything. I have absolutely no opportunity to turn anything negative into a positive interaction because the instant I enter her field of view, she drops whatever she's doing to charge at me, and like I said earlier she is surprisingly quick for a grounded bird.

Whew. Thanks for letting me rant and rave. It's frustrating having to deal with random attacks and just knowing this bird hates my guts really puts a damper on things. I am working on my confidence around the birds, though, and Sam says he can see it, too. I'm just at a loss when it comes to Gunny, but I know this kind of progress is going to be hard to measure and it's going to take some solid dedication to get over this and that I likely won't see any real improvements for quite a while. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I really appreciate the information and thought you guys put into your replies. Please don't hesitate to offer more advice, I've taken notes on everything in this thread so far and will report back with updates as they come. Sorry again for the wall of text.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hi James, I like your attitude and you've really described your situation well. Gunny is sure a challenge but sounds like you have a great chance with the others.
I had a flighted male Blue-fronted Amazon who gave my brain a lot of exercise learning how to work with him, but he at least gave me a chance and some good behaviors.
So, maybe while you are sitting in your chair with your feet up off the floor you might want to do a little reading on parrot psychology? ( Say that too fast and people think you are a ghost buster)
It sounds like you have been working on that but I don't know if you've found these people. ( in absolutely no particular order, looking in retrospect 2,4, 7,6 probably best)
1. Barbara Heidenreich, positive reinforcement. video 8 is free and will give you some idea what positive reinforcement looks like Webinar Recordings
2. Susan Friedman, the ABCs (antecedent, behavior, consequences) I love these
Written Works: Learning and Behavior - BehaviorWorks.com
3. and found these while looking for the link above, see 3rd from last on enrichment, I haven't listened to it
Podcasts | World Parrot Trust
4. Pam Clark good stuff Pamela Clark, CPBC
5. Lara Joseph Blog - The Animal Behavior Center
6. Lafeber's webinars Pet Bird Behavior Articles - Parrots & Pet Birds – Lafeber Co you can ask questions of experts at live webinars
7. Phoenix Landing webinars Recordings from previous online events

That's all I have time to think of, but more than enough reading for you. I'm trying to get you to experts and not internet hacks. These will help you in general, and maybe you can have more insight about Gunny.
Stay safe amd keep asking questions.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One thing that comes to mind... if Gunny has been abused in the past, you may look like, or remind her of the person who abused her. It sounds like she's getting down specifically to go after you. She's doing it with a purpose and a goal in mind. If there is anything about your appearance you can change in the short term then it might be worth trying. Maybe change your hairstyle, color, or nail color as long as they are appropriate for your work environment. You mentioned that she tolerates you if your feet are up, but not down on the floor. Changing your shoes might make a difference. These things don't seem all that important to us but to birds, they make a huge difference.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've really nothing to add, you've a ton of good advice and info here about you and the birds.
One thing I'd like to mention (if it was somewhere above forgive me), is to make sure your employer has good insurance.
One bite to the wrong customer, and he could lose birds and hotel from the lawsuit.
While it seems an awesome place, it also sounds 'sadly' like a recipe for disaster if safety is not taken seriously.
I'm glad you seem to have some common sense and hopefully can guide the owner in his safety measure.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I don't wanna quote the whole post, but thank you for this. There's a lot of good insight here. After tonight, I suspect she was abused with a broom before so I'm just going to use the broom for what it's intended for. My line of thinking was that it kept her from attacking me and redirected her anger to the broom, but then she started actively running away from it. It was easy to see that there was a deeper problem with the broom because that behavior is not typical of her.

Thank you for your response. Sam has only had Gunny since March and I got here in late April, and Gunny was already bonded to him. From what I understand, she chose him. She did have a perch partner, Al Capone, but he was sold very shortly after I started working here. Gunny was apparently disinterested in him, and seems to be disinterested in her new perch partner, Leon. Gunny is definitely his favorite, his baby, but I wouldn't say he gives her more or less attention than the other birds. He is pretty diligent about spending time with all the birds, he's able to handle all of them the way he handles Gunny. Well, except Leon. Leon hates Sam for splitting up him and his sister Bella. It may also be worth noting that sometimes Sam takes Gunny with him in the car, if I recall correctly it's because he doesn't want her to be alone in the perch room and he can't leave her here with me alone if he's not somewhere on the property.

This part is hard to type out because of how ridiculous it is. People call us the Parrot Motel. Sam took over the property in 2014 I believe, and when he got it, it was in varying levels of disrepair. He fixed up most of the rooms and gave the place a paint job. Every door is a different vibrant color, the outside brick is painted a bright color, the rooms have these cool multicolored geometric designs on the walls, there are two murals on the outside of the buildings, and two more murals in the lobby. The place looks like it was designed by a macaw. It's unique for sure. (I'm not sure if it would be against the rules to give, say, the google results for our hotel or Sam's website so people can see what I'm talking about, but if it is allowed and people wanna see, I'd be more than happy to show it off.) The birds are definitely a highlight, we're located in a college town off of I-75 in Kentucky and exotic birds aren't exactly common around these parts. Sam is a birdkeeper by hobby, he is by no means an expert (his words lol) and he's learning new things every day hand-rearing Maya and Apollo's babies. I wanted to give a little context, so bear with me.

My point for giving the history lesson is that the birds are a selling point; they even have a decent following of about 1000 people on Instagram. People come to see the birds in the lobby, or when they're outside people will congregate and gawk over them. Vinny is the only bird that is "friendly" to guests, the other birds don't particularly care for them but we make sure to let people know not to reach out for the birds or anything that might get them hurt. We have had incidents where guests have been bit because they didn't respect the birds space, even after our warnings. I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure of the legal legs we have to stand on when it comes to the birds and potentially injuring guests. Gunny is kept behind the counter because she attacks everyone who isn't Sam the way she attacks me. We have to keep a coat or blanket under the gate that leads to the lobby so she can't crawl under it. She is a roamer. For some reason, she prefers to walk around on the floor. She isn't clipped, she's "able" to fly, I believe, but she doesn't. She moves a lot faster than I expected a grounded bird to... She's allowed to roam wherever she wants behind the counter, which includes the hallway connecting the lobby to Sam's house. She's allowed to roam throughout his house. Sam's parents also live here and help manage the hotel, but they are pretty hands off with the birds. I have never seen them in the same room as any of the birds, so I'm not entirely sure how Gunny is with them. Gunny is able to just climb down from her perch and roam the house if she so pleases. This has led to a few surprise visits in the lobby.

Anyways, to directly answer your question, I make sure to tell every guest that the green bird will attack you and to stay away from her. I always tell them that she only likes Sam and attacks me every day, to drive the point home. I feel bad about it, but I'm trying to protect these random strangers from being hurt, because she absolutely will attack them if given the opportunity. That's the ridiculous part I mentioned, the fact that I have to tell people this bird will attack you, rather than try to train her to curb that behavior, is ridiculous to me. It feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen. That's a topic for another thread though, I suppose. I don't think the way we're currently handling the situation is proper or effective, and could potentially lead to personal and financial damage if things keep going the way they are. I feel like Sam is resistant to my newfound knowledge because, well, he's had birds for years and this is the first time I've been around them. (My aunt's birds I mentioned previously.. the extent of my interaction with them was petting the cockatiel and dodging the conure's beak). I always present the things I read about to him in a way that feels like I'm asking if what I've read sounds correct or not. For example, I had buffalo chicken pizza which came with onions on it, so I googled toxic foods for macaws and onions appeared on every list with varying results, but the consensus was that onions would cause the birds discomfort at the very least. I asked Sam what kind of foods the birds shouldn't eat, and he told me they can eat pretty much anything. The birds have a good, balanced diet, in my opinion. Sometimes he asks me to feed them pieces of pizza, but for the most part they get fresh chop consisting

Their room isn't too big. It's a square room with one window in the corner and a small open closet opposite the window. The previous maintenance man built their perches; essentially, there's a wood frame made of 2x4's holding up several different good-sized natural wood branches off the ground. The perches are about chin/chest level on me, and I'm 5'9", if that helps you to visualize this. I can take pictures if you'd like. As for enrichment, I'm not sure exactly what constitutes that. Activities? Toys? If so, there are none. The lobby has a jungle gym-esque setup. There's lots of different branches going each different way, and there are swings hanging towards the bottom, but they never visit the swings unless they fall down and are climbing back up. They take bites off of their perches and the frame, and Gunny likes to chew on the wooden stairs leading from the lobby to the house. She sits at the top of the steps (there's only 4) and glares at me. If I move from my seat, she descends the stairs with surprising speed and attacks me. She WILL, however, tolerate me being behind the counter with her if my feet are up in the chair.

None of the birds fly, but only Leon and Bella are clipped from their previous owner (they've only been here for 2-3 weeks, I'll leave that story for another time unless y'all are interested). All of the birds except for Gunny prefer to stay on the perches. Maybe its because they don't really have anywhere to fly to? In their room, there's about 1.5x my width worth of space in between the perches. With them being face-level and in relatively tight quarters, it's actually pretty hard to clean the room effectively without being lunged at, etc. I'm realizing now that they may not have enough room. I came into this job not expecting to deal with the birds, but now I'm pretty heavily involved in their care. Mostly behind the scenes for now, as they're still getting used to me. I recently started emptying their bowls, refilling them, and placing them back in the holders. Apollo is usually the only one that sees me do this, though. I thought they just weren't interested in flying and were big ol' lazy birds, but consciously thinking about it makes me wonder if they just don't have a big enough space. They don't try to fly when they're outside, they don't fly from perch to perch (the one in the lobby is all connected to each other, the perches in the room really only have enough space for the two birds that are perched on them to be able to move around comfortably. They don't seem interested in exploring each other's perch. They don't seem interested in flying at all, but I know it's natural for them to fly several miles a day. I wonder if the lifestyle Sam has fostered, the birds' reliance on him for almost everything, has led them to be lazy or if they're anxious from not being able to do something that comes naturally to them.

The more I read about them, the more red flags I see pop up from Sam's methods. I don't want to turn this into a complaining about my boss post, but for the sake of the birds, I'm realizing that there is much room for improvement regarding their care and environment. Sam loves his birds, don't get me wrong, and the birds love him (except Leon lol). I am now worrying that the birds are not getting the proper care they need. Sam definitely puts forth huge effort in taking care of the birds, but he also does things like yell at Vinny for screeching, or pulling on Leon's tail for messing with Bella... I feel powerless to stop it. I'm at his whims because this job and hotel room is all I have keeping me from being homeless again. I don't have family or anyone else to fall back on, so if I say something that pisses him off, I'm not confident that he wouldn't just fire me on the spot for.. challenging him? Not sure the right words to put here.

These birds do not fly. They are carried from room to room, they don't leave the perch (but they do roam around on the perches, and the one in the lobby is pretty huge). Sam understandably is reluctant to listen to my concerns, me being super fresh with regards to caring for macaws. I make sure to ask a lot of questions and I'm certain it gets on his nerves sometimes, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible to ease the burden on him. The dude works 24/7. He sleeps 2 hours at a time because of the babies and it's been that way since mid-May. I'm not trying to justify his actions, because I don't think there's any justifying pulling on a bird's tail for any reason, but typing this all out has prompted all of this to dawn on me. Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated as well, but I understand if it's not suitable for this forum.

This is going to be difficult for me as she has a negative reaction to literally everything about me. I will try to find some common ground, though; I'm definitely committed to getting this bird to at least tolerate me.

Oh, she definitely knows she owns the place. She prefers to walk around on the floor, she patrols the lobby behind the counter and up and down the hallway. She sits at the top of the steps and gazes upon her kingdom. I haven't personally thrown a towel on her. It's dangerous to even try to drop a treat in her bowl. I can't get within a good 10 feet of Gunny before she charges me. Even seeing me walk up to the front door, while she's perched behind the counter, she fluffs up immediately and her eyes pin like mad, the mere sight of me is enough for her to instantly aggress. This crazy bird has heard me walk in the front door, climbed down from her perch in their room, walked down the hallway all sneaky-like, down the steps, and charged me. She literally hunted me down, lol. I'm hoping that she's able to eventually tolerate me, or at least stop the attacks.

Before I was comfortable with the birds and started researching them, I was definitely scared of them since I had rarely been around birds in general, let alone these giant flying dinosaurs. The other birds don't seem to have a problem with me, except for Apollo, but even he has started to realize that I'm there to feed him and clean up his mess and will (reluctantly) back up when I'm emptying their bowls. He just doesn't want me (or anyone, for that matter) near Maya. It's super adorable the way he cares about his mate. With Gunny, it feels like I can't do anything. I have absolutely no opportunity to turn anything negative into a positive interaction because the instant I enter her field of view, she drops whatever she's doing to charge at me, and like I said earlier she is surprisingly quick for a grounded bird.

Whew. Thanks for letting me rant and rave. It's frustrating having to deal with random attacks and just knowing this bird hates my guts really puts a damper on things. I am working on my confidence around the birds, though, and Sam says he can see it, too. I'm just at a loss when it comes to Gunny, but I know this kind of progress is going to be hard to measure and it's going to take some solid dedication to get over this and that I likely won't see any real improvements for quite a while. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I really appreciate the information and thought you guys put into your replies. Please don't hesitate to offer more advice, I've taken notes on everything in this thread so far and will report back with updates as they come. Sorry again for the wall of text.
I understand completely. Vent all you want. There is an Amazon at the rescue I volunteer at who attacks people, but liked me. Now he hates me, and it is sad to see. You seem like such a patient person, props to you! I hope you can make progress, good luck.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Thanks again for the links and all the advice! One thing I didn't mention is that Sam is from India, and she's not really used to seeing white people. That feels so ugly coming out but I don't really know how else to say that lol.

My shoes are bright yellow Pikachu jordans so I can definitely see that being something that would attract an animal to them. I'll have to get some new shoes and see if that helps. My shoes are super thick though so they protect me from her really well haha.

I'll check out the experts, thank you Debbie for linking them!

Macawpower58, I have absolutely had that cross my mind, but like I said my concerns are not taken seriously at the moment, hopefully it doesn't have to come down to a lawsuit for something to click.

I truly appreciate the well wishes and I hope to bring good news in the future!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sam is from India, and she's not really used to seeing white people. That feels so ugly coming out but I don't really know how else to say that
Sorry, I don't understand it. Being from India, how does it make any difference? I am sure people from your locality also not very familiar with Indian culture, isn't it? I am also an Indian by the way.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I can only see it being relevant because India doesn't appear in either of these lists...

Highest number of lawyers per capita:
  1. U.S. 1 lawyer for every 300 people
  2. Brazil: 1 lawyer for every 326 people
  3. New Zealand: 1 lawyer for every 391 people
  4. Spain: 1 lawyer for every 395 people
  5. UK: 1 lawyer for every 401 people
  6. Italy: 1 lawyer for every 488 people
  7. Germany: 1 lawyer for every 593 people
  8. France: 1 lawyer for every 1,403 people
Most litigious countries per capita:
  1. Germany: 123.2/1,000
  2. Sweden: 111.2/1,000
  3. Israel: 96.8/1,000
  4. Austria: 95.9/1,000
  5. U.S.: 74.5/1,000
  6. UK 64.4/1000
  7. Denmark 62.5/1000
  8. Hungary 52.4/1000
  9. Portugal 40.7/1000
  10. France 40.3/1000

(source)
... so perhaps Sam may be unaware how litigious the US can be.

Personal injury lawyers literally advertise their services during primetime network TV shows in the US.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
I can only see it being relevant because India doesn't appear in either of these lists...
... so perhaps Sam may be unaware how litigious the US can be.

Personal injury lawyers literally advertise their services during primetime network TV shows in the US.
I apologize if I've offended anyone. I meant that Gunny has likely not been around white people much or was possibly abused by a white person. Sam got her from an Arabic breeder in California just this March. There's these Haitian dudes that come in the office and has been here half the amount of time I have and Gunny tolerates them tons better than me, they are able to walk past her without even turning her head. Meanwhile, I can just appear in her line of sight and she fluffs up and starts biting the ground or whatever she's standing on. She is tolerating me loads better than she was when I made the post. I'm able to actually stand up in their room and sweep without her lunging at me, she

is used to the birds biting him, nipping and scratching, etc... He's very oblivious to the fact that other people may not react the way he does to an event such as a macaw bite. Take Gunny for example, he thinks its funny that she doesn't like me and charges me, and often tells her to save him and get me. Gunny's attacks are friggin scary, and she's not a big bird by any means... She has rage and hate in her attacks lol. If I was a random guest on the receiving end of that, I have no doubt in my mind that they would sue the pants off him.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree a bird that has not seen white people, may react with suspicion and aggression at first.
I'd not worry too much though, I feel after some exposure that the difference in skin tone will become a non-issue.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I came to see if there was any update. I have been following your thread and it's really not good that your boss laughs at your fear of his military macaw charging at you. Can he not put Gunny in a place where it's not affecting your safety?