• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Midwest Mobile Vet Experience

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
I posted in the Macaws forum about an experience I had with a mobile vet recently, and someone suggested I also add the information here. The vet we saw was Dr. Scott McDonald, and this is his website Scott E. McDonald.

My local bird club brings in a mobile avian vet at least once a year, and yesterday was the big day! It was a great experience: he uses gas anesthesia to do a fairly thorough physical exam, and he explained everything he was seeing. She has a little tattoo mark in her left "arm pit" (for lack of a better term!), which he said is done when a bird is surgically sexed -- so someone in her previous life had this done. I am guessing she was either a breeder bird or intended to be before she was rescued. Her wing feathers are pretty tattered, but he thinks it is due to barbering; he pulled out just a couple to encourage growth so she can start flying a little quicker. She is also pulling out some of her downy feathers on her back, so I am going to have to keep a watch on that. Then he trimmed her nails very nicely and .... (drumroll please!) .... got her beak back in good order! I asked if diet changes will help with her odd beak growth, but he said no, that lots of Hahn's have strange beaks, and she will just need a beak trim every 6 months or so for life. Here are before and after pics -- enjoy!
View attachment 406941 View attachment 406943

His name is Dr. Scott McDonald and here is his site. There are so few avian diplomates in the US, and none live anywhere within driving distance of me. But if you click on the protocols tab on Dr. M’s site, he goes through his process step by step. He also lists his experience and other pertinent information. I don’t know what his typical fee is for patients, but he comes to my area, sponsored by my bird club, and sees many patients in one day. For members, I paid $30 plus $3 for the club. Some members bring 3, 4, 5, 10 plus birds to be seen — the club organizes the appointments and provides a couple of assistants for the doctor.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What bird club are you a member of?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm hoping to catch him next time he's in my area. My closest Avian vet right now is 3.5 hours away :( I know he comes up north about 20 to 30 minutes from me a couple times a year, I just seen to always miss him!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm hoping to catch him next time he's in my area. My closest Avian vet right now is 3.5 hours away :( I know he comes up north about 20 to 30 minutes from me a couple times a year, I just seen to always miss him!
Can't you send him a note?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He has a schedule posted on his website, I just always forget to check it lol
At an alarm for once a month on your calendar. Seriously. Alarms are great reminders.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
He has a schedule posted on his website, I just always forget to check it lol
Same here. I always seem to miss him or check his calendar right after he has been in the Springfield area. :headsmack: I wanted to get established with him as well since he is much closer than Niles some times throughout the year. Would be nice to have two options.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Same here. I always seem to miss him or check his calendar right after he has been in the Springfield area. :headsmack: I wanted to get established with him as well since he is much closer than Niles some times throughout the year. Would be nice to have two options.
Yes last time I checked was literally like 3 days after he left. Definitely going to start checking monthly.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
When I adopted Lucy earlier this year, I joined the Greater Omaha Caged Bird Society. My family and I usually attend their bird shows, just to look and learn -- which really helped when I had questions right after her adoption! Several of their board members have been very welcoming to me and extraordinarily helpful in so many ways.