• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Midnight snack??

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I woke up earlier than I usually do, at 6am, and I heard a bunch of quiet clicking coming from the bird cage (which is so abnormal because when the cage is covered they don’t move around/make a peep at all)

So of course I go in to check, and Phoenix is feathers deep in his food dish just chowing down :roflmao: he looked surprised to see me. I wonder if it’s something he does often

Is it normal for birds to eat in the middle of the night? (I know technically it wasn’t in the middle of the night, but it was for them because they don’t normally get woken up until noon)

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Opie always eats in the middle of the night. He's my only one who does!
Of course the others actually settle in and have a meal for a good few minutes. Opie tends to just eat 2-3 pellets every hour or so all day.

He is my biggest bird and he eats the least, oddly.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I don't know if it's the norm for Glimmer (yet), but last night she was chirping around 11 PM for some reason, and I wouldn't be overly surprised to hear her chowing down under her cover.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I don't know if it's the norm for Glimmer (yet), but last night she was chirping around 11 PM for some reason, and I wouldn't be overly surprised to hear her chowing down under her cover.
When I first brought Raijū home he used to chirp and rustle around even after I covered him, they get used to it and learn that the cover means quiet time

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo enjoys snacking on pellets during the night

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'ts totally normal

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My boys always used to go for a midnight snack when they slept in my room; I assume they still do. Honestly can't blame em. :D They work so hard, they gotta keep their strength up!!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My two budgies don't eat at night but they get up with the sun (and go to bed with the sun) which is between 6-7 am depending upon the season. When they get up, they call to me to uncover them and bring them food - their morning chop. If you don't get them up until noon, I would expect them to be hungry and eating before then.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
ummm 6am is not the middle of the night… it’s the start of the day for our birds.
Burt never snacks after lights out (may drag lights out by pretending to snack!) but has been known to have a little ring of his bell at 2am from time to time.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
ummm 6am is not the middle of the night… it’s the start of the day for our birds.
That's why I said it wasn't really in the middle of the night, but it was in the middle of "their" night because they don't get woken up until noon. They get to sleep late at night (around midnight) so I can still spend a few hours with them when I get off work

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That's why I said it wasn't really in the middle of the night, but it was in the middle of "their" night because they don't get woken up until noon. They get to sleep late at night (around midnight) so I can still spend a few hours with them when I get off work
I’d guess that unless you can and do actually fully control the daylight coming in your birds won’t be on an altered sleep cycle and are still awakening at the natural time all birds do.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You're lucky they let you sleep til noon. My guys will do to most of the time. Penny is covered but Rio is not. Rio will remind me at times when I sleep too late. My problem is I don't go to bed til about 4 or lately as late as 7AM. So I need to catch least 5 hrs of sleep.
My guys go to sleep by 9PM mostly. I usually retreat to my bedroom but have been up late in the LR the past few weeks on the computer.

So its good they quietly eat some early breakfast by themselves rather than calling out for you to feed them. My guys have seeds all night so if they want to nibble they can. Heck sometimes I want a midnight snack but don;t as I don't want to disturb their sleep.