• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyer's parrot diet

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
Hello! This is my first time posting on this site so forgive me if I'm putting this in the wrong spot.

My Meyer's parrot, Trinity, has been having some digestive issues lately. I took her to the vet earlier this month and they found a high yeast count and low good bacteria count in her droppings. They prescribed her some medicine and I left. The medicine worked as long as I kept giving it to her. I don't have the money to take her back to the vet yet (I will once May rolls around) and am wondering if there's anything I can try in the meantime. I bought some bird probiotics to try an help her get back on track.

She's not:
Regurgitating
Sleepy
Not hungry
Ruffles

Obviously I want to nip this in the bud before it really causes problems. Any advice is appreciated

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What's her normal daily diet?

Was she diagnosed with Avian Gastric Yeast? That can be a long treatment, especially as they can reinfect themselves from perches, cages, and bowls if they are not disinfected.

You could try adding some apple cider vinegar to the water; 1 tsp to 16 oz of water. But watch to ensure they are drinking.

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
What's her normal daily diet?

Was she diagnosed with Avian Gastric Yeast? That can be a long treatment, especially as they can reinfect themselves from perches, cages, and bowls if they are not disinfected.

You could try adding some apple cider vinegar to the water; 1 tsp to 16 oz of water. But watch to ensure they are drinking.
She's on a pellet diet and whatever bird safe food she steals from my plate. Usually peas, corn, oranges, and apples.

The vet didn't diagnose her with anything. Just "she has a high yeast count and low good bacteria count, here's a prescription"

I'll stick some ice in the glass when I do that. She likes to drink out of my water glass so now I fill a second glass the same way I fill my glass and she goes for that instead

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can also call your vet and see what they recommend. Follow up appointments are usually a lot less expensive, and sometimes they are able to give you free advice relating to the current issue over the phone.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’ve read that a lower sugar diet is recommended for birds with gastric yeast overgrowth, and also heard that a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water is recommended (as Mizzely has suggested). That has actually been proven to be helpful. It changes the pH of the drinking water and helps to keep the crop pH in line, too.

I would keep a good eye on her health. A yeast overgrowth suggests that her immune system may not be up to snuff.

Heather

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
I’ve read that a lower sugar diet is recommended for birds with gastric yeast overgrowth, and also heard that a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water is recommended (as Mizzely has suggested). That has actually been proven to be helpful. It changes the pH of the drinking water and helps to keep the crop pH in line, too.

I would keep a good eye on her health. A yeast overgrowth suggests that her immune system may not be up to snuff.

Heather
I do still kind of wonder if it's the pellets. I couldn't get her usual pellets (a ZuPreem product) so I bought her Hagen Tropimix pellets. She's been on them long enough that it shouldn't be the change that's causing the issue. She didn't have this issue when she ate the other pellets.

I'll see what I can find that's low sugar and keep high sugar foods away from her. She's not going to like not being able to have orange slice bits

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
You can also call your vet and see what they recommend. Follow up appointments are usually a lot less expensive, and sometimes they are able to give you free advice relating to the current issue over the phone.
I didn't know that vets do that! I'll give them a call and see what they recommend!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m guessing that corn and peas are not so great either. Same for apples, oranges, grapes. They are all more sugary or starchy with fewer vitamins or flavonoids. Will she eat greens or broccoli or things that aren’t high carb? Berries are also a better treat for birds who love fruit. More fiber and vitamins and anti inflammatory chemicals.

I need to start taking this advice as well. I love the carbs and basic sugars and it’s not so good for me.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do still kind of wonder if it's the pellets. I couldn't get her usual pellets (a ZuPreem product) so I bought her Hagen Tropimix pellets. She's been on them long enough that it shouldn't be the change that's causing the issue. She didn't have this issue when she ate the other pellets.

I'll see what I can find that's low sugar and keep high sugar foods away from her. She's not going to like not being able to have orange slice bits
Hagen is an unsweetened pellet, while Zupreem adds sugar. :) Neither is bad but I wouldn't assume the pellets are the issue personally

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I didn't know that vets do that! I'll give them a call and see what they recommend!
It depends on the vet of course but always worth a shot! My vets almost always do a free follow up visit :)

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
I’m guessing that corn and peas are not so great either. Same for apples, oranges, grapes. They are all more sugary or starchy with fewer vitamins or flavonoids. Will she eat greens or broccoli or things that aren’t high carb? Berries are also a better treat for birds who love fruit. More fiber and vitamins and anti inflammatory chemicals.

I need to start taking this advice as well. I love the carbs and basic sugars and it’s not so good for me.
She pretty much tries to eat anything that I'm eating. I have a veggie mix that contains corn, carrots, and broccoli that I like to eat. She's not a fan of carrots and will ignore everything else if there's corn. I can try just having straight broccoli and see if she goes for it

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
Hagen is an unsweetened pellet, while Zupreem adds sugar. :) Neither is bad but I wouldn't assume the pellets are the issue personally
Odd then that this has never been an issue before with her then. But if Hagen doesn't add sugar, I'll keep her on that one

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think I’d go back to the first pellet. Isn’t Tropican one of those fruity pebbles-type pellets?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think I’d go back to the first pellet. Isn’t Tropican one of those fruity pebbles-type pellets?
Hagen uses banana oil for the smell, but has no added sugar beyond what comes from actual fruit. All flavors of Zupreem have added sugar. It's a very small amount of the formula (less than 5%) but it is still added.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I just think it seems the first pellet agreed with her more.

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
The ZuPreem pellets were veggie pellets and the Hagen are multigrain and peanuts.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Whoops—Hagen tropimix not tropican. Sorry. Well, does the Hagen tropimix have similar base ingredients or different? That might be part of it if she’s, for example, intolerant of peanuts.

Zupreem: top ingredients Ground Corn; Soybean Meal; Ground Millet; Ground Oat Groats; Ground Barley; Ground Wheat; Wheat Germ Meal; Sugar…
Hagen tropimix: Corn, flaked corn, raisins, red milo, dried papaya, wheat, dehulled peanuts, dehulled sunflower seeds, dehulled toasted soybeans, soybean meal, oat groats…

honestly the Hagen looka much more natural but I wonder if she could have a sensitivity to one of the many ingredients? I can’t digest as well when I eat certain things.

MasterObli

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Meg
Whoops—Hagen tropimix not tropican. Sorry. Well, does the Hagen tropimix have similar base ingredients or different? That might be part of it if she’s, for example, intolerant of peanuts.

Zupreem: top ingredients Ground Corn; Soybean Meal; Ground Millet; Ground Oat Groats; Ground Barley; Ground Wheat; Wheat Germ Meal; Sugar…
Hagen tropimix: Corn, flaked corn, raisins, red milo, dried papaya, wheat, dehulled peanuts, dehulled sunflower seeds, dehulled toasted soybeans, soybean meal, oat groats…

honestly the Hagen looka much more natural but I wonder if she could have a sensitivity to one of the many ingredients? I can’t digest as well when I eat certain things.
:wideyed: I never thought of that! She might!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hagen Tropican:

Corn, soybean meal, wheat, dehulled peanuts, dehulled sunflower seeds, brown rice, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), calcium carbonate, lecithin, oat groats, dried tomato, flaxseed, L-lysine, alfalfa nutrient concentrate, choline chloride, DL-methionine, beta-carotene, biotin, vitamin E supplement, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate (source of vitamin C), zinc oxide, manganous oxide, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, rosemary extract, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would personally not immediately assume it is the pellets. The high sugar content of the fresh foods being fed is far more likely IMO, and even then it might be completely unrelated.