• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyers and Senegals

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemybirds

Strolling the yard
What can you tell me about Meyers and Senegal personality in your experience I am considering getting one of those or a Nanday Conure.

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
when i had a senegal she was really sweet and loved to hang out on my shoulder alot she wasnt really loud she talked alot and she was a one person bird she hated my xhusband . and as for the nandays they can be loud screamers at times very clowny personalitys and loveing cuddly mine talks alot .

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
we have a male Senegal named Pepper , he will be a year old in October so he is still young and he doesn't seem to be a one person bird he will go to anyone , he loves attention ,toys especially wood toys and food :)

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
I have a 10 year old female senegal who is a sweet, cuddley girl. She loves just to be on me and will put her little cheek on mine. She is very gentle and just a joy to have around. She is the only birdie here who does not get into trouble lol

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have a Senegal and two Meyer's.

The Senegal is the basically my sweetest bird. I can do whatever I want with her and I don't think I ever suffered a true bite to her beak. I have had her from the moment she was weaned and got to visit her on a number of occasions when she was still being handfed. while she isn't the biggest fan of my boyfriend, she will cooperate with him when he asks her to step up and such things, but she won't necessarily spend too much time with him. She doesn't attack him either. I think it might be because he was a threat for my attention since she does this only with him and is an absolute darling with everyone else. Now Senegals do have a reputation of being a one person bird and I think the trick to get over this is early socialization; get it used to many different people and surrounding early on (and continue to do this obviously).

(I'll post about the Meyer's in another post, past experiences have proven I often loose everything I write if I put too much in one post..)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
As for the Meyer's, their reputation is of an easy going bird who loves to love you.

Most of the Meyer's that I have met who found a loving family right off the bat are absolute darlings. Both of mine are rescues and don't quite fit the general description, but I love them none the less. One is totally in love with my boyfriend, loves men in general, and does not like women. We are working on changing that and he's slowly getting around to behaving better in my presence (mind you, he's 15 and for the best part of his life has seemed to have had a problem with women based on what previous owners have said). The other one got shuffled around early on and needed a stable home, which I am providing. I got a very shy bird who is starting to become much more confident.

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
I have a brownhead parrot who is
a poicephalus like the birds you mentioned
only his color is not as flashy. He is a sweetheart.
Simon is still a baby, but what a sweetie! He is
playful, lovable, not loud, and has started to
talk. Can you tell I am smitten?:heart: His picture is in my signature.

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Myers and Sennies are delightful small Parrots with wonderful personalities:DThey are Not loud,can talk pretty good and even if not handled each and every day-remain very tame:D IF You get a Sennie-be sure to have a couple of swings for Him/Her-My Obie LOVES Her swings:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.