• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Memories of Peepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am writing this for two reasons. One to share my story of my wonderful little Brown Head parrot. Second to serve as a warning to never, ever trust your dogs or cats with your birds.
When my husband and I were married 5 1/2 years ago, we both worked at Petco. I was a dog groomer, Mike was store manager. I also was in charge of handfeeding any baby birds, due to being the only one with experience in the store. So, I was back and forth everyday to work.
Well, I fell in love with this little Brown Head parrot and named her Peepers. At our wedding all the employees that came had surprised us and pitched in and purchased Peepers as a wedding gift. We were so surprised and just fell in love with her.
She was the greatest little poi ever! She loved to cuddle, play and would go to everyone for kisses. She loved to play soccer. She had a ping pong ball that she beak dribbled across her cage floor and directed it into an empty toilet paper roll. It was so funny, if the TP roll was crooked she would stop dribbling and run over and straighten it out, then proceed to dribble her ball. She could talk unbelievably well. She would carry on an entire conversation. If I was in the bathroom getting ready for work she would say, "Judy, come here!" I would go over and say "what's up Peepers?" She'd say "Where's Mike?" Me, "At work." Her, "Mike not here?" Me, "No, he'll be home later" Her, "Ok, Later is Mike".
Her wings were clipped, as it was a store rule to prevent escape. So she spent alot of time on top her cage playing. Never, ever did she attempt to climb or fly off her cage. For 3 years she was a complete joy.
Well, I suffer from post traumatic stress syndrome, that I won't go into. So that summer I was having terrible depression. We lived on the water at that time and kept a firepit out front by the water. We loved sitting out there and watching all the wildlife. So, my husband said, "Let's go out and sit by the fire and relax a little bit". I agreed. So we were out there about 15 minutes and Mike went in to pour us some ice tea. All at once I heard him start yelling "No, no, no, no!" I ran up to porch and he met me at the door. He had one of our dogs by the collar. "What's wrong"?, I scream! He said, "Rose killed peepers!" I started screaming and ran in. Poor little Peepers was on the kitchen floor, Dead. Feathers everywhere. I laid down on the floor and hugged her into my face screaming, "No, my baby, my baby!" Sobbing so hard for at least 15 minutes on that floor, with Mike wrapping his arms around me. The pain was so horrible I just can't put it into words. I mourned for months and still do at times.
I hated the dog for doing this. It took me days to finally even look at her. I knew in my heart she was only doing what came natural to her, as she was a terrier. I guess Peepers was looking for us and hopped off the cage.
Now, I want you to understand, I take 100% responsibilty for Peepers death and I think that was what was so hard. I had failed her. My depression interferred with my responsibility of my pets.
I think of Peepers often and remember her sweet little voice. Though I wanted to share my Peepers with you, I hope that this alerts others to the safety issues concerning birds and other pets.
You can absolutely never trust your dog or cat with your birds.
You can never let your bird out of its cage, Unsupervised. Especially with other pets in the house.
You can never trust that your bird wll stay on its playstand or cage top safely.
You can never be to careful.
You can never get them back once their gone.
You will always have a little hole in your heart.

Peepers, mommy is so sorry my love.
Fly free sweet Peepers, fly free.

Note: Rose passed from kidney failure while I gently held her in my arms at the vets. This was 1 1/2 years ago. I cried and kissed her soft fur and sent her to Rainbow Bridge.

:sad3:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What a great warning and heart-wrenching story. I am so sorry for your loss.:(

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Tears streamed down my face as I read this story. I couldn't have imagined what you felt. Peepers sounded like a sweetheart. I'm sorry for your loss :hug8:

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am so sorry for your loss

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Your love for Peepers was evident in your story. So sorry for your loss. This is good reminder that no matter how much we trust our other animals things still can happen

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh wow, I am so sorry for your loss. Even years later I know this still affects you :( :hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you everyone. Brown head parrots are not very colorful, so they don't seem to sell well. But they really are great birds. Peepers was our little ray of sunshine!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm grateful you shared your story with us. We can't hear this kind of story too many times. We need to be reminded. :hug5:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I'm so sorry about Peepers. How awful for you. I agree with you. As I have said before, I know people who were sure that their dog was 100% (animal behavior is never 100%) reliable and they were, until the one time they weren't and the bird was killed. I'm sorry this happened to you.

senorabarb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I'm sorry that this tragedy happened.

I hope that you are doing better now.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Judy....:hug8:

A great warning to never walk away thinking nothing is going to happen... because when it does you can't turn back. Always take precautions with everything, not just pets.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH no...I am crying here...I am so sorry....but thank you so much for the warning....sometimes we have so much faith on our animals that they will never harm each other...

Peepers and Rose are both now free from any pain...:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very sorry..Peepers will be waiting for you when it is your turn to cross the bridge...that was a very heart wre nching story dear

Status
Not open for further replies.