• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Members handy-dandy tips for easy(er)parrot keeping!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jen brilliant tip in this thread Throwing dishes..quick advice PLZ... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum made me think it would be a great topic for a thread!

So, what are your handy dandy tips for easier parrot keeping?
No answer is too simple or common sense, sometimes the simplest tip is one someone else has not thought of, so please share them all!

Here is one of mine to start you off!

I found the easiest way to get a seed eater to try a pellet is to use Roudybush crumbles, they look the most like some of the seed mixes, so the birds recognize it as food. Might not work for all, but it's worth a shot :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Spill proof table cloths under my playstands. I scrub enough bird poop in a day! I love that I can take the table cloths outside and give them a good shake then into the washer. Done. I have enough to change them twice a day.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
AviClean! Even makes conure poop easy to wipe up!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I post this on here before but don't remember where :rolleyes:
For quick clean-ups
Home made cleaning wipes for bird poop...

What you need

Sharp knife

1 used round canister from the cleaning wipes (cleaned well)

1 roll of good sturdy paper towels (I use Scott's select a size)

vinegar and water

Take the roll of paper towels, cut it in half so it fits in the canister. Place it in the canister and remove the cardboard in the middle. Add a mixture of vinegar and water half way up, put the lid on to give the paper towels time to absorb the mixture.(you might need to add more liquid)

PS: I never wait for it to soak on it's own, I swish it around to help

When you go to use it, make sure you pull it from the middle, where the cardboard tube used to be!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Take the roll of paper towels, ... Add a mixture of vinegar and water half way up, put the lid on to give the paper towels time to absorb the mixture.....When you go to use it, make sure you pull it from the middle, where the cardboard tube used to be!

Ok, I'm intrigued by this. Why don't the paper towels soaking in the solution not tear apart when you pull them up or use them?? :)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm going to try those vinegar wipes! :highfive:

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar & water in the bird room (and kitchen) along with a roll of paper towels for quick clean ups. But the wipes would be even faster! Is it easy to get one piece out at a time?

I hang cotton sheets on the backs of the cages to cut down on food mess on the walls.

Hard plastic chair mats under the cages for easier cleaning.

Soft fleece blanket or cotton flannel sheet folded several times on top of the grate to prevent hard falls.

Several layers of newspaper on top of the blanket to prevent having to clean poop and food off the grate.

Vet wrap dowel perches to make them softer on the feet. Change vet wrap when dirty.

Portable t-stands on trays with newspaper on top prevent poop on the stairs or floor when moving from one room to another. Also for moving hand shy birds.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, I'm intrigued by this. Why don't the paper towels soaking in the solution not tear apart when you pull them up or use them?? :)

Don't know, but they don't! I've always done it with Scott's, cheaper quality towels might!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm going to try those vinegar wipes! :highfive:

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar & water in the bird room (and kitchen) along with a roll of paper towels for quick clean ups. But the wipes would be even faster! Is it easy to get one piece out at a time?
Not as long as you start from the middle and use good towels!

Other than the sheets, I do all the ones you mentioned :highfive:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I add whole cloves to my spray bottle of F10 which adds a nice smell when I clean and is also a bug deterrent.
oo, that's a good idea! Never tried that! we always have problems with spiders sometimes & obviously can't spray- is it the cloves that are a bug deterrent or the F10? great thread @TMS! I always put blankets on the backs of all their cages to keep food from being flung all over the walls. I also put their radio on a timer when we go out of town- so it cuts off at night/comes on at whatever time I set it to. I also mix anything I want them to try that's something they've never eaten, I mix it with scrambled eggs & cinnamon- they love love it or I put anything new right into their mash- then they eat it, because they are so excited about eating mash lol! I have more but can't think of them now lol!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I try to feed all wet or fresh foods away from the cage in bins or hanging off the outside of cages so stuff falls on the floor.

I keep a garden sprayer bottle of F10 and a stack of cheap dish towels handy. Clean up bowls, cages, sweep and then spray the poop. Give it a few minutes, drop some towels on the floor and scrub up with feet. Wipe cages down by spraying a towel or two and wiping down the cages.

I also have a small dish scrub brush to get the bottom edges of the cage where foods drop.

Extra bowls...extra bowls. No way could I wash bowls right before I put them in the cage.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
oo, that's a good idea! Never tried that! we always have problems with spiders sometimes & obviously can't spray- is it the cloves that are a bug deterrent or the F10? ...
The Cloves. Don't know how effective it is on spiders but know it works for flies and some other flying insects.

Mozart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dan
Also going to give the wipes a try! I would love to get some F10 spray but it's a bit pricey for a student down here in SA unfortunately! :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Since I put Michael's cage against a wall, I hung a clear shower curtain from the wall using small picture hooks. It is very easy to take outside and spray clean.

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Remove the grates from your cages. We took all of them out and put newspaper down..much easier to clean..if the grate is non removeable, put newspaper on top of the grate...a hint on where to get newspapers...We "liberate" newspapers from those free community paper boxes. Our cages are lined with newspapers in every language imaginable

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
alway have an evacuation/vacation cage set up so if there is an emergency it is easy to get out immediately. Also keep a copy of records in the glove box and an emergency kit of food, treats, and toys ready to go with the cage. I keep a small bag of food and rotate it out regularly. I just always have an extra bag. I precut my cage papers also for easy changing because I use the kraft paper instead of newspapers.