• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Medication

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys! My budgie has to take medication from a syringe for an injured wing, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this? I dont want to force his beak open or even know how to go about that, but I don’t see what else I can do.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
My budgie is also on oral medication this week, so I offer you solidarity from me and Konrad :depressed:

Did your vet have any suggestions? Mine showed me during the office visit how to hold my bird with one hand, including how to steady his head, so I could do the whole procedure by myself. Since your bird’s wing is injured I bet you have to be extremely careful about how you hold him, especially if he struggles, so that is definitely worth asking the vet if you can manage.

Also, I don’t force my bird’s beak. I patiently wait for him to open it… usually to try to nip me, but it IS open. I’m not sure whether this is the approved method.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm also giving my budgie, Sprite, some medicine at the moment. It was definitely a bit challenging at first, but it's not that hard once you get the hang of it. Also, your bird will learn what's happening after a while, and won't freak out as badly.
What I do is I get a small towel, and hold it in my left hand (non-dominant). Then I use my right hand to get my bird to step up, and I put her up to the right cage wall, and let her hold on to it. Then I just gently grab her from behind. I do need to be quick though, because she's very clever and she will get away if I'm too slow.
Once that's done, I make sure I am restraining her wings so she can't flap and get away. You need to hold firmly, because they are stronger than you think. But definitely still be gentle. You can also use your thumb and forefinger to keep his head in one place, but don't actually hold his head. The most important thing is that you don't squeeze the chest, because otherwise he won't be able to breathe.
As soon as you get the hold right, put the syringe up to his beak. Sprite bites the syringe, so it's not hard to get her mouth open. I don't know if your bird will do the same. What's important is that you put the syringe into the side of his beak. Never come from the front, because then there's a chance he could could breathe it in. The airway is under the toungue, so just be aware of that.
Your bird will struggle to get his head away from the syringe, so it may take some time before you can get the syringe in the proper position. Don't rush.
As soon as the full dose is in his mouth, put him back on one of his perches. I always give Sprite a big reward afterwards, which definitely helps to make the experience less stressful and scary.

anurim

Strolling the yard
I'm currently giving my 'tiel oral medication. I use a light blanket. I open my closet and put him on the lowest shelf, which I empty before. I then drop the blanket over the shelf he is sitting on, from the shelf above (if it makes sense). After that, it's pretty easy since he won't move as much under it (which also helps minimize the risk of hurting your bird). The first two days were a little rough, but now he actually understands it's time for the meds, and he'll let me put him on the shelf and do all of the above. As for opening the beak, they will usually open their beak on their own, trying to escape from this "horrible" thing :laugh:. You just have to sneak the syringe into their mouth.

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys! My budgie has to take medication from a syringe for an injured wing, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do this? I dont want to force his beak open or even know how to go about that, but I don’t see what else I can do.
He is pretty stubborn, and some of the medication drips on his face, but mostly successful. He is very very smart and fast in getting away and out of my hands, and after one dose he stopped biting the syringe and is now clamping his mouth shut when I put it near him. If I gently nudge his beak, he will open it or he screams in protest and I take my shot then. I feel so bad for him, but he needs to get better!!

oliandsun

Meeting neighbors
A little late to the party, but I had to give one of my budgies four different medicine 1x/day for 3 weeks :dead: I found the best method was to cup her in my hand with her feet holding onto my pinkie finger and her head poking out between my thumb and index finger (that way she couldn't try to fly away). Then I would use my index finger (on the hand she is currently in) and put it near her mouth, since she was so angry that i'm holding her, she bites my finger. Instead of pulling away, I carefully keep my finger in her mouth (and my thumb is at the back of her head so she can't pull back. I'm not forcing her head back with my index finger though or squishing her head, I'm just not allowing her to pull her head back since my thumb is now in the way.. if that makes sense!) and am able to get the syringe in since her beak is now being held open. It was A LOT better than trying to use the syringe to coax her mouth open and went so much faster. Of course, there is a balance between being forceful and gentle and I tried to be somewhere in the middle. I found this went quicker and was therefore less stressful. Best of luck!!!!

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
A little late to the party, but I had to give one of my budgies four different medicine 1x/day for 3 weeks :dead: I found the best method was to cup her in my hand with her feet holding onto my pinkie finger and her head poking out between my thumb and index finger (that way she couldn't try to fly away). Then I would use my index finger (on the hand she is currently in) and put it near her mouth, since she was so angry that i'm holding her, she bites my finger. Instead of pulling away, I carefully keep my finger in her mouth (and my thumb is at the back of her head so she can't pull back. I'm not forcing her head back with my index finger though or squishing her head, I'm just not allowing her to pull her head back since my thumb is now in the way.. if that makes sense!) and am able to get the syringe in since her beak is now being held open. It was A LOT better than trying to use the syringe to coax her mouth open and went so much faster. Of course, there is a balance between being forceful and gentle and I tried to be somewhere in the middle. I found this went quicker and was therefore less stressful. Best of luck!!!!
I tried this but after the first day of getting medicine he caught on and would clamp his mouth shut as soon as we grabbed him. I ended up just gently nudging his beak open, and hoping most of the medication went in!