• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Medical Reasons for Plucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I just wanted to know some medical reasons for plucking so I can watch for symptoms before my vet visit next week. I know about allergies. I will be doing some research on my own too (so far, i've just been looking at ways to stop plucking).

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
guardia (sp) or other parasite

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Mites. You can see them on the nare area and also if you put down white paper in the cage bottom they show up after they've been picked off.

Ginger

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are many possible medical causes. Infectious disease, allergies to things like the ingredients in their diet. Coloring and dyes. Aromatics in the environment like perfume or air fresheners. Zinc toxicity has been shown to cause plucking. Internal parasites. They get feather lice which you can plainly see. This is usually only seen in compromised birds coming from very dirty over crowded conditions. Hypothyroidism. Diet deficiency. Lacking calcium is a big one. Not enough UV light and fresh air. Systemic disease. All these things need to be ruled out.

Recommended Vet tests.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

There are many possible medical causes. Infectious disease, allergies to things like the ingredients in their diet. Coloring and dyes. Aromatics in the environment like perfume or air fresheners. Zinc toxicity has been shown to cause plucking. Internal parasites. They get feather lice which you can plainly see. This is usually only seen in compromised birds coming from very dirty over crowded conditions. Hypothyroidism. Diet deficiency. Lacking calcium is a big one. Not enough UV light and fresh air. Systemic disease. All these things need to be ruled out.

Recommended Vet tests.

John is completely correct. I see UV light issues more than anything. People think they can just stick a bird in a room and be done. SOOOO Not the case! They need UV light and a great diet. Diet is another giant issue, lacking calcium as John stated. Having a full vet work up can be expensive but is worth it to not spread disease.
Habit can also be an issue. Once a plucker for years, this can cause a habit for feather chewing and plucking unfortunately.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

Recommended Vet tests.
Thanks John, that was very informative. :)
I have a UV light above her cage now, but probably have to replace the bulb. I have another UV light too but that definitely has to be replaced. It's been over a year. I have an air purifier too but getting fresh air from outside would be difficult during this time of year. I can ask my vet about a calcium supplement and also candida since Maddie had/has it. I've been using the ACV for everyone though, and they don't get a lot of fruit, so I'm not sure if that's what is causing it.
I will definitely get the full panel. Don't want to leave anything to chance.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:huh:How about allergies?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Didn't your other bird Maddie just have a yeast infection? Could something have caused this and Harper also has one? Would that make her pluck?

Status
Not open for further replies.