• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mealworms for pet parrots?

Montybird

Moving in
I've heard that some people feed mealworms to their parrots as occasional treats. I searched it up and it said that if your bird swallows the mealworms live, it could eat itself out of the crop. I was wondering if that's just a horror story or has it actually happen to somebody's bird.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I've heard that some people feed mealworms to their parrots as occasional treats. I searched it up and it said that if your bird swallows the mealworms live, it could eat itself out of the crop. I was wondering if that's just a horror story or has it actually happen to somebody's bird.
If I were to feed mealworm (which I don't) they would be dried.

I have never heard that before, so I really don't know.

I would steer clear of them anyway.

@Mizzely

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some people say the same thing for superworms crawling out of a lizard stomach. I've never actually seen an actual report of that happening.

I don't feed mealworms but I would not feed dried personally. They are much more nutrious after being fed good foods. You can crush their head before feeding if you are concerned.

That said, there are so many options for protein that even though I have mealworms in my home I don't feed them

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Purple Martin landlords often feed meal worms or super worms to Purple Martins. They always freeze them first then thaw them out. The freezing kills them, so they can't attach their pinchers or bite the birds inside. You can also crush or pinch the head off the worms first instead of freezing them. They are good protein, but most parrots don't eat any type of worms. FYI: Dried meal worms have little to no nutritional value.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Even at the wildlife rescue, we drown the worms and dust them in powder calcium before feeding.the dried ones are hollow shells with no value at all..
Interesting, thanks!

It's not something I have ever thought of before. All my pets that get live food I don't need to worry about, the reptiles, the frogs etc....

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I handed a live mealworm to Zyda once. She was not at all interested in eating it, but she did squeeze its innards out and threw the whole writhing mess on my floor. :sick: It was very gross.

Sort of a pointless treat for a parrot, imo.